Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Slender Man (2018) S: Joey King

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 08:46 AM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/akdZ4ff4SVE" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

“Slender Man” stars Jaz Sinclair and Joey King as a group of girls who set out to find their missing friend when she’s taken by the one and only “Slender Man.” The horror film is directed by “Stomp the Yard” and “I’ll Always Know What You Did Last Summer” filmmaker Sylvain White.

Screen Gems will open “Slender Man” in theaters May 18.
Old 05-31-18, 02:43 PM

re: Slender Man (2018) S: Joey King

It is extremely rare for a film to be shopped to other studios so close to its scheduled release. Sony has already debuted a trailer for the film, and unveiled posters, and promotional images. Presumably whoever buys the film would have to pay the studio back for any expenses it incurred.

Sony’s Steve Bersch, the head of the Screen Gems division overseeing “Slender Man,” is a fan of the picture and wants to release it, according to another insider, but the studio’s brass is concerned about social media backlash. The title character, a viral boogeyman created in 2009 as part of an online contest, allegedly inspired two 12-year-olds to stab their friend Payton Leutner 19 times. Leutner survived, and the girls were institutionalized.

Bill Weier, the father of one of the two girls who stabbed Leutner, has criticized the film as “extremely distasteful” and has said it is “popularizing a tragedy.” Some movie theaters close to where the stabbing took place in Wisconsin have said they will not show the film. An online petition calling on the studio to pull the film from release has attracted more than 19,000 signatures.

There are concerns at Sony that the blowback will intensify as the release date approaches even though “Slender Man’s” plot is fictional and doesn’t reference the real-life stabbing. That may be factoring into some of the release strategy disagreements, insiders say.

If the producers cannot find another studio, Sony may move forward with its Aug. 24 release date. “Slender Man” is directed by Sylvain White and stars Joey King, Jaz Sinclair, and Julia Goldani Telles.
https://variety.com/2018/film/market...ny-1202826660/
Old 05-31-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

Win Win
Old 05-31-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 334 Likes on 238 Posts

Saw the preview before Deadpool 2...

Wish I didn't. It should be shelved it looks beyond horrid.
Old 06-03-18, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 629 Likes on 454 Posts

I don’t want to see a horror movie that uses a fictional character that real kids claimed they thought was real and told them to try to murder another kid.
Old 06-03-18, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 515 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I don’t want to see a horror movie that uses a fictional character that real kids claimed they thought was real and told them to try to murder another kid.
Ehh, I'm on the fence as to whether this is in poor taste or not.

I remember when American Psycho was being filmed, there was a bit of a ruckus here, because a copy of the book had been found by Paul Bernardo's bedside and the media made a big deal of that (even though it's more probable the book belonged to big-reader (and likely the real murderer) Karla Holmolka). Way back then, my thinking was just because the book was enjoyed by/perhaps inspired one monstrous person, didn't mean it was tainted and shouldn't be made into a movie.

Not saying your reaction is wrong, though. We all have different lines that cross us. For example, I'll never be able to bring myself to watch the John Landis Twilight Zone, and I hate seeing him being interviewed in stuff.
Old 06-03-18, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

That's funny because I feel the same way. Just the title alone is enough to draw me off.
Old 06-03-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts

Bill Weier, the father of one of the two girls who stabbed Leutner, has criticized the film as “extremely distasteful” and has said it is “popularizing a tragedy.”

I’m betting he was a big Titanic fan though ...
Old 06-03-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
[/i]

Right, because that iceberg “inspired” people to lure someone into the woods and stab them 19 times. And both events occurred within the past five years. Totally similar situations.
Old 06-04-18, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
[/i]

what a stupid analogy... oh man
Old 06-04-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I remember when American Psycho was being filmed, there was a bit of a ruckus here, because a copy of the book had been found by Paul Bernardo's bedside and the media made a big deal of that (even though it's more probable the book belonged to big-reader (and likely the real murderer) Karla Holmolka).
Hmm, I didn't know - or don't remember - that tidbit. It sure is the perfect book for those two base creatures. Having said that, I liked the book. I've never read more intricately graphic descriptions of sex and grisly murder. It's exceptionally well-written. Bernardo and Homolka had also recently rented the movie Criminal Law when they were captured. It inspired them to change their surname.
Old 06-05-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

I thought slender man was originally created as a video game (slender: 8 pages)?
Old 06-05-18, 11:36 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't really get this argument. The character (as dumb as it is) existed for years before this stuff happened. Mentally unstable people could claim any fictional character influenced them to do bad things... if someone claimed Dracula influenced them to kill, should nobody ever make a Dracula movie again?

Now if the movie was actually playing off the real life events in the film's story with a theme where he influences people to kill on his behalf, or if they started directly referencing those real life events to promote the film, then I would agree that is in bad taste. But so far it sounds like the Slenderman in this film is your typical supernatural boogeyman type villain.

Of course, I still expect this to be terrible because I've seen some of the director's past work, namely 'I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer' (a direct-to-video crapfest that somehow manages to make you long for 'I Still Know What You Did Last Summer').
Old 06-05-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There wasn’t going to be a movie until someone was almost murdered so that’s what I find distasteful, unappealing.
Old 06-06-18, 10:08 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if a lot of it depends on a person's own association with the character. For me, when I first saw the thread title I had forgotten about that stabbing story from 4 years ago... I mentally connected the character to the online content, games, and so on. For someone whose awareness of the character mainly relates to that crime, though, I could see how their own association changes.

There wasn’t going to be a movie until someone was almost murdered
Perhaps that was the driving force, or maybe not. Again, this was a pretty popular meme and character for years before the stabbing. There were Slender Man references in shows like Supernatural many years ago, and there was already a 2015 film (Always_Watching: A Marble Hornets Story) that is essentially an unofficial Slender Man movie... This is a project that was started in 2013 before the crime occurred, so it's not like Hollywood interest in the concept started with the murder attempt. For certain, the case drove up overall *awareness* of the property, but -- based on your comment and others -- that awareness may end up more damaging than exploitable for the filmmakers.
Old 07-26-18, 05:17 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eRV-c3hs3vw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-26-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Re: Slender Man (2018) S: Joey King

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I remember when American Psycho was being filmed, there was a bit of a ruckus here, because a copy of the book had been found by Paul Bernardo's bedside and the media made a big deal of that (even though it's more probable the book belonged to big-reader (and likely the real murderer) Karla Holmolka). Way back then, my thinking was just because the book was enjoyed by/perhaps inspired one monstrous person, didn't mean it was tainted and shouldn't be made into a movie.
Oh yeah, I remember that ruckus. Although to be fair, the film is almost a Disney film compared to the book, which is fucking brutal and practically unfilmable if adapted more faithfully.
Old 07-28-18, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts

So I don't get slenderman the myth. Isn't it well known that it was made up on the internet? It doesn't have any basis on any real life legends or anything like that right? Does anyone know where it originated from?

If it's only "real" claim to fame is inspiring some very disturbed kids to stab their friend then yes I think it's in poor taste. I guess at least the kid survived but I don't know why Sony is just now starting to think about the possible backlash from this film. Seems like it's something they should have considered before greenlighting it.
Old 07-28-18, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
So I don't get slenderman the myth. Isn't it well known that it was made up on the internet? It doesn't have any basis on any real life legends or anything like that right? Does anyone know where it originated from?
You are correct. It's just a story from Something Awful.
Also, Wikipedia is your friend
Old 07-28-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman

If it's only "real" claim to fame is inspiring some very disturbed kids to stab their friend then yes I think it's in poor taste. I guess at least the kid survived but I don't know why Sony is just now starting to think about the possible backlash from this film. Seems like it's something they should have considered before greenlighting it.
Where are seeing that Sony is thinking about possible backlash?
Old 07-28-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where are seeing that Sony is thinking about possible backlash?
Old 07-28-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
You are correct. It's just a story from Something Awful.
Also, Wikipedia is your friend
I know the basics. Just don't know why it turned into such a phenomenon or if there were any official stories made up about him. It's just odd that this has taken on a weird fascination when it's origins can be so easily traced to a clearly fictional contest, especially when there are many more other folklore stories that have a much more intriguing and mysterious origin.
Old 07-28-18, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Extremely distasteful is a good description .
Old 08-09-18, 05:36 PM

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/slender_man
Old 08-18-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Caught an early showing with my son. I expected it to be bad, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. It just felt horribly disjointed and chopped up. It meandered along and its 91 minute run time felt a lot longer. The only positive that I took away from it was that the cast was decent and deserved something better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.