Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

1980s comedies. Which hold up now and which are unwatchable?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

1980s comedies. Which hold up now and which are unwatchable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,322 Likes on 2,126 Posts
Re: 1980s comedies. Which hold up now and which are unwatchable?

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Goonies is loved by people who first saw it as a kid. Like E.T., I first saw it as an adult an I don't care for either of them.
I’ll buy that. I don’t claim it’s any great work of art and realize it’s got plenty of flaws but I love it anyway.

There are some movies from my childhood that others love that I didn’t see until I was an adult. I didn’t see Monster Squad and Labyrinth until I was older. Didn’t care for either one.

Then of course, there’s movies I saw as a kid that didn’t strike a chord with my until I was older. I never cared for Ghostbusters as a kid but got a lot more of the humor as an adult and E.T. bored me to death as a kid but I found it to be quite moving as an adult.
Old 01-03-18, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Big
Old 01-04-18, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 408 Likes on 273 Posts

I saw Spaceballs for the first time about 10 years ago. I thought it was terrible.

I saw William H Macy on Colbert a few weeks ago and he was talking about introducing his kids to the classics and he said Airplane! didn't hold up like thought it would. Which got me curious, so I might have to revisit it.
Old 01-04-18, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I saw Spaceballs for the first time about 10 years ago. I thought it was terrible.
We saw it in the theater and it was mediocre when it was fresh. It was trying to capitalize on Star Wars fever as well as several performers who were hot at the time. It was a little too late to really capture any type of Star Wars magic and it had way too much stuff that Mel Brooks found hilarious but the rest of didn't.
Old 01-04-18, 06:00 AM

Received 532 Likes on 379 Posts

How did this thread get to 3 pages without anyone mentioning Clue?

One of the greatest 80's comedies and still hilarious today.
Old 01-04-18, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

So the thread is no longer...

Old 01-04-18, 07:17 AM

Received 532 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
So the thread is no longer...

That's right. But before that, the thread was....

Old 01-04-18, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

Clue was one of the movies that I watched on HBO a zillion times in the 80's as it seemed like it was always on. I just remember the actress who played Miss Scarlett was a HOT! I think that's why I probably kept watching it.
Old 01-04-18, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 198 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Off the top of my head:

Hold Up:

-Ghostbusters

-Vacation and Christmas Vacation

-Stripes

-Planes, Trains and Automobiles

-Summer Rental

-Fletch

-Say Anything

Don't Hold up:

-Police Academy

-The Great Outdoors

-Funny Farm

-Spring Break

-Animal House(I know Ill get flamed for this one)
It's funny how tastes vary - I think stripes is terribly unfunny and police academy is hilarious.
Old 01-04-18, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 211 Posts

I watched Revenge of the Nerds last year and was surprised how it still help up. In fact I would watch most of the 80's comedies in here over anything that has come out recently. I can't really name a recent comedy that I would consider a classic other than the Hangover and that was almost 10 years ago.
Old 01-04-18, 08:59 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 256 Posts

Back to the Future 1 & 2
Evil Dead II
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (BBC Miniseries)
Johnny Dangerously
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Raising Arizona

The one that wasn't as funny as I thought it would be upon recent viewing was Howard the Duck.

Those are the only 80's comedies I own and/or have seen recently as I am not very keen on the romcoms or most of the stupid comedies they're pumping out these days.
Old 01-04-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 260 Likes on 180 Posts

A couple I remember being pretty funny when they were new. Haven't seen them since.

The Man With Bogart's Face
Brother From Another Planet
Old 01-05-18, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

I would say definitely back to the future holds up quite well and the number of the parody movies also hold up well like airplane and Spaceballs. The whole comb the desert scene with the guys with the afro pick, that's still funny everytime I see it. I can remember seeing that movie in the theaters and everybody cracked up nearly every scene. People still today even talk about the one liners from that movie. THERE was quite a few in it.

I would have to say though that while I grew up in the eighties and watched many of these movies some of the ones y'all are mentioning now I have never heard of.
Old 01-05-18, 07:59 AM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Teen Wolf Too
Old 01-05-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 805 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Teen Wolf Too
Was that ever watchable? It wasn't for me, and I was ten when it came out.
Old 01-05-18, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

My kids love the Home Alone movies so over the Christmas break they were asking for more Macaulay Culkin movies and ended up watching Uncle Buck. I have not watched that movie in probably decades but my kids and I enjoyed it.

Some other movies from the 80's that my 8 year old enjoys are Ghostbusters, Ferris Bueller, Pee Wee, Back to the Future I and II and Popeye. He loves Star Wars but didn't like Spaceballs and got bored with Goonies. Did watch Christmas Story recently and liked that but I find it hard to watch anymore because I have seen it so much.
Old 01-05-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 406 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewCrew
My kids love the Home Alone movies so over the Christmas break they were asking for more Macaulay Culkin movies and ended up watching Uncle Buck. I have not watched that movie in probably decades but my kids and I enjoyed it.
OMG I watched Uncle Buck with my kids a few years back and could not believe how inappropriate it was for them at the time. I remember it as a light hearted comedy and was surprised how "adult oriented" it was. LOL
Old 01-05-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 135 Likes on 104 Posts

I think much of how we decide what "holds up" and what doesn't depends on whether we saw these films when they were new. If you remember seeing them in your childhood around their original release date, they tend to be more watchable.

Catching-up on an eighties movie for the first time 30 years later, without the nostalgic hindsight, leaves them coming across as rather lame and outdated.

We also forget that in the passage of time, so many other movies have copied the jokes and situations many times over making them seem even more stale.
Old 01-05-18, 02:42 PM
RIP

Tough Guys Don't Dance
Old 01-05-18, 02:46 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Was that ever watchable? It wasn't for me, and I was ten when it came out.
It's amazing

Old 01-05-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,591 Posts

I don't want to live in an era where Princess Bride no longer holds up, though as a fantasy piece with minimal special effects it probably ages better than most.

I tend to think the parody movies (Mel Brooks, etc.) don't hold up as well because they're making fun of specific things of that era... spaceballs is probably a little better because Star Wars is still such an iconic property, but multiple people have said here it doesn't.
Old 01-05-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Films that hold up great for me:

Back to the Future
Ghostbusters
Romancing the Stone
Crocodile Dundee

As for ones that don't hold up. I still enjoy Mr. Mom, but I don't think the laughs are there for later generations. In the 80s, the idea of mom going to work while dad becomes a homemaker was pretty novel at the time. Also Gung Ho is really dated! Back from a time when we though Japan was going to take over America. haha
Old 01-05-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 972 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
The only reason that anyone still talks about this movie is because of the ending. Take that out, and it's just another teen sex movie. Of course you have to watch the entire movie to understand the why the ending is such a big deal.
I disagree. I like the whole movie, and not just the ending. I think it's also because it's a little autobiographical; I was just like Gary in that movie. When I first saw it back in the 80s, he was kinda my hero. Now when I view it, I see Gary as a total creep, who deserves every misfortune he gets. It explains a lot about how I was treated back then too. So I think it's pretty accurate in how it treats its main character.

Originally Posted by grundle
There's only one reason to watch this movie, and it's censored on cable stations that have commercials (but not on the pay channels like HBO). The rental VHS tapes were worn out during that one scene because people kept rewinding it and watching it over and over.
Funny thing about "that" scene; back in the 80s, in my tape collection was The Cars' first album. Every time I brought my collection around to a party or something (remember that? Lugging your tapes around to parties and gatherings?), all the guys clamored for me to play Moving in Stereo. I never understood why, as I felt (and still do) that it's a tepid song and far from the best on that record. Of course, after finally seeing Fast Times, I realized there was a little audio association going on...

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Way back when it was released my wife, then girlfriend and I saw it in the theaters. Eagerly awaited it being released on DVD then was disappointed. After about 30 minutes of Chunk screaming every word that came out of his mouth I had to turn it off and sell the DVD. I knew I was done with that one forever.
Chunk? Hell, it's the WHOLE CAST that feels the need to shout every single piece of dialogue. Maybe it's because I was already late teens when The Goonies came out, but I never understood the appeal of that one. Even though I fully believe that on one day in the 90s, the girl I was hitting on was actually THE Kerri Green, and I just didn't realize it.

I actually just watched Losin' It earlier this week, and I think it holds up. Helps that it takes place in the 60s and not the time it was made. Although they kinda gave up on that in the car junkyard scene late in the film, where it's all 70s cars in the background. I was lamenting that with the death of Curtis Hanson, we'll never get an audio commentary from him on this movie. I think it would be interesting, what with the future stardom of several cast members. Also, it features the only film appearance of east coast pianist/comedian John "Dr. Dirty" Valby as Johnny Hot Rocks, the emcee of the Tijuana bar the guys go to.
Old 01-06-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Can't believe no one has mentioned Ruthless People yet. That, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and Fish Called Wanda are not favorite 80s comedies.
Old 01-06-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't want to live in an era where Princess Bride no longer holds up, though as a fantasy piece with minimal special effects it probably ages better than most.
I tried watching The Princess Bride a couple years back and couldn't finish due to the atrocious synthesizer music score. If that could only be stripped out or replaced, I think the movie would be damn near flawless.

Originally Posted by Paff
Chunk? Hell, it's the WHOLE CAST that feels the need to shout every single piece of dialogue. Maybe it's because I was already late teens when The Goonies came out, but I never understood the appeal of that one.
I recently saw the old clip of Siskel & Ebert reviewing The Goonies, and this was Gene's main criticism, how the kids talked over each other.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.