Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018, D: Hallström, Johnston)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-17, 07:39 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2ktuvx9hrMw" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All Clara (Mackenzie Foy) wants is a key – a one-of-a-kind key that will unlock a box that holds a priceless gift from her late mother. A golden thread, presented to her at godfather Drosselmeyer’s (Morgan Freeman) annual holiday party, leads her to the coveted key—which promptly disappears into a strange and mysterious parallel world. It’s there that Clara encounters a soldier named Phillip (Jayden Fowora-Knight), a gang of mice and the regents who preside over three Realms: Land of Snowflakes, Land of Flowers and Land of Sweets. Clara and Phillip must brave the ominous Fourth Realm, home to the tyrant Mother Ginger (Helen Mirren), to retrieve Clara’s key and hopefully return harmony to the unstable world. Starring Keira Knightley as the Sugar Plum Fairy and featuring a special performance by Misty Copeland, Disney’s new holiday feature film “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” is directed by Lasse Hallström and inspired by E.T.A. Hoffmann’s classic tale. In theaters on Nov. 2, 2018.
Old 12-19-17, 10:40 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
re: Disney's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018, D: Hallström, Johnston)

Looks like a Disney-fied version of things.

Should be fun.
Old 08-08-18, 08:50 AM

re: Disney's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018, D: Hallström, Johnston)

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a2vmAttpgrg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-04-18, 11:50 AM

Re: Disney's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (2018, D: Hallström, Johnston)

<iframe width="675" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BXfxLIuNJvw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-04-18, 01:35 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

So they replaced the director on this one too? Damn Disney.
Old 09-04-18, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
So they replaced the director on this one too? Damn Disney.
Here's the full story on that.

Lasse Hallstrom and Joe Johnston will have a unique shared directing credit on Disney’s upcoming “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms.”

The helmers — who are not a directing team — will be listed on the same title card for “The Nutcracker,” which stars Keira Knightley, Helen Mirren, Misty Copeland, and Mackenzie Foy.

Hallstrom was the first director on the movie. Johnston was hired for a month of re-shoots, requiring extensive special effects, when Hallstrom was not available to film the additional footage.

Typically, under the Directors Guild of America’s rules, only one filmmaker can be credited with directing a film. That was the case on “Bohemian Rhapsody,” in which Bryan Singer was given the credit, even though he was fired in the latter stages of shooting and replaced by Dexter Fletcher. That rule can be waived to allow two directors to be credited when filmmakers have a history of working together or share a common vision, such as the case with the brother teams of Joel and Ethan Coen and Joe and Anthony Russo.

In the case of “The Nutcracker,” Hallstrom offered to share the “directed by” credit with Johnson, who accepted. Disney agreed to list both as director.

The live-action movie is based on E.T.A. Hoffmann’s 1816 story “The Nutcracker and the Mouse King” in which a girl named Clara is tasked by her parents with taking care of a toy Nutcracker doll, which comes to life and defeats an evil Mouse King with seven heads. Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, and choreographers Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov turned an Alexandre Dumas adaptation of the story into the ballet “The Nutcracker” in 1892.

Hallstrom has been nominated for three Oscars for writing and directing “My Life as a Dog,” and for directing “The Cider House Rules.” His other credits include “A Dog’s Purpose,” “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape,” “The Hundred-Foot Journey,” “Dear John” and “Chocolat.”

Johnston won an Oscar for the visual effects in “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and has specialized in directing effects-driven movies such as “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids,” the original “Jumanji,” “Jurassic Park III,” and “Captain America: The First Avenger.”
Old 09-04-18, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I saw the trailer for this before Crazy Rich Asians. Keira Knightley's voice in the trailer was pretty annoying. I don't know if I could watch a full movie of that...
Old 09-05-18, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm tempted to see it. Drunk. But tempted. Looks like a trip.
Old 10-09-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Tickets are on sale and the movie runs 99 minutes. Wow, for such an epic in scope looking film I was expecting an over-2-hour running time.
Old 10-09-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

As a parent, I’m relieved to see a kids movie that isn’t pushing two hours.
Old 10-31-18, 04:07 PM

Opens this week. Reviews are starting to come out: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the...he_four_realms
Old 11-01-18, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Opens this week. Reviews are starting to come out: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the...he_four_realms
Ouch. Seems to be closer to A Wrinkle in Time then the Jungle Book.
Old 11-03-18, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

The only theater near me where Moviepass still works had only one kids movie and this was it. I have never been a big fan of the Nutcracker or the ballet so was kind of dreading this but certainly better than I thought it would be and I at least wasn't bored. If you are into the classic story then this probably isn't for you. Keira Knightly was certainly entertaining.
Old 01-30-19, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

I saw a TV ad for the BD release on The Food Network and it takes a completely different approach than the theatrical trailers I had to sit through for so many weeks: It's pitched as "Sugar" and "Spice", and features Ballet, and shows virtually none of the Fantasy Adventure material. In fact, the voice-over refers to it as "Disney's 'Nutcracker'" and "The Four Realms" is only mentioned on the cover of the Blu-ray.
Old 01-30-19, 07:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

They probably want to spin the marketing a different way since it’s not Christmas time.