DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Lang (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/642402-mortal-engines-2018-d-rivers-p-jackson-walsh-s-hilmar-sheehan-weaving-lang.html)

dex14 12-13-17 02:09 PM

Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Lang

https://static3.srcdn.com/wp-content...h=393&fit=crop

Mortal Engines is an upcoming New Zealand-American science fiction action adventure film directed by Christian Rivers and written by Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens. It is based on the novel of the same name by Philip Reeve. The film is set in a post-apocalyptic steampunk world where entire cities have been mounted on wheels and motorised, and prey on one another. It stars Robert Sheehan, Hera Hilmar, Hugo Weaving, Jihae, Leila George, Ronan Raftery, and Stephen Lang. It is set to be released in theaters on December 14, 2018.
The trailer is supposed to be attached to The Last Jedi.

Abob Teff 12-13-17 08:24 PM

Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, L

Not familiar with this, but it sounds interesting.

Troy Stiffler 12-13-17 09:46 PM

Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, L

Yep'. Sounds interesting. And I'm really curious to see how the design of everything looks. Motorized cities sounds complex to show on screen.

TomOpus 12-15-17 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13225627)
The trailer is supposed to be attached to The Last Jedi.

It was. At first I thought someone did a live-action Howl's Moving Castle. Looked pretty damn good.

Troy Stiffler 12-17-17 03:49 PM

Sooo disappointed this wasn't in my Last Jedi's trailers (Harkins Theaters). :(

TomOpus 12-18-17 05:50 AM

I figured once the trailer played in the theater, it would get officially released but I can't find it. Guess I'll have to watch The Last Jedi again to see it.

dex14 12-18-17 10:07 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fupYIggOq38" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RichC2 12-18-17 10:16 AM

Visually it reminds me a bit of Now and Then Here and There ... if it were shot as a Mad Max movie.

TomOpus 12-18-17 11:00 AM

Of course they release the trailer a few hours after I bitch about not having a trailer :)

Troy Stiffler 12-18-17 11:44 AM

Well there it is. I was curious how it'd look. Neat designs. Looking forward to seeing more.

kd5 12-26-17 11:09 AM

Looking forward to seeing this even more than I am to seeing Bright.

dex14 06-05-18 10:13 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IRsFc2gguEg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RichC2 06-05-18 10:05 PM

Ehhh. I can't say that trailer did much for me. Felt a little too Sky Captain.

Why So Blu? 06-05-18 11:52 PM

Looks great!

Draven 06-06-18 09:23 AM

Looks very Bioshock: Infinite. I’m in!

dom56 06-06-18 09:34 AM

Unless I miss it, I didn't see Stephen Lang in the trailer. I presume it a minor role?

csant 06-06-18 01:00 PM

Im so in... looks great.

moviepost 11-18-18 11:50 PM

Mortal Engines (2018, D: Christian Rivers) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Raftery, Lang

An upcoming Dystopian movie Mortal Engines is to be released in US at December 14th 2018.

Synopsis : Set in a world many thousands of years in the future. Earth’s cities now roam the globe on huge wheels, devouring each other in a struggle for ever diminishing resources. On one of these massive Traction Cities, Tom Natsworthy has an unexpected encounter with a mysterious young woman from the Outlands who will change the course of his life forever.

Director : Christian Rivers

Screenplay : Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh.

Starring : Hera Hilmar, Robert Sheehan, Hugo Weaving, Ronan Raftery, Stephen Lang.

The movie's based on a YA dystopian novel with the same title by Philip Reeve.

Are you interested in watching dystopian movie adaptations after The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Maze Runner ? I think the craze have die down lately.

dex14 12-06-18 10:07 PM

Reviews coming in: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mortal_engines

Not looking good.

I may still check it out. But with all the new releases coming out it’s a low priority.

Giantrobo 12-07-18 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13347137)
Looks very Bioshock: Infinite.

:up:

Troy Stiffler 12-15-18 12:43 PM

This came out and nobody noticed? I’ll check it out this weekend.

GoldenJCJ 12-15-18 01:13 PM

Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Christian Rivers) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Raftery,

Originally Posted by moviepost (Post 13446389)
An upcoming Dystopian movie Mortal Engines is to be released in US at December 14th 2018.

Synopsis : Set in a world many thousands of years in the future. Earth’s cities now roam the globe on huge wheels, devouring each other in a struggle for ever diminishing resources. On one of these massive Traction Cities, Tom Natsworthy has an unexpected encounter with a mysterious young woman from the Outlands who will change the course of his life forever.

Director : Christian Rivers

Screenplay : Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh.

Starring : Hera Hilmar, Robert Sheehan, Hugo Weaving, Ronan Raftery, Stephen Lang.

The movie's based on a YA dystopian novel with the same title by Philip Reeve.

Are you interested in watching dystopian movie adaptations after The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Maze Runner ? I think the craze have die down lately.

Hmm, I guess I haven’t been paying close enough attention to this. Based on all the “From the creators of the Lord of the Rings films” stuff in the tv spots for this, I just assumed Peter Jackson was the director.

I don’t know Jack shit about Christian Rivers.

TomOpus 12-15-18 01:29 PM

From what some friends said, it's gorgeous-looking but bland.

E Unit 12-15-18 01:42 PM

My sister asked if this was in any way part of the Mortal Instruments series. So yeah, this is pretty much DOA.

Orbi-Wan Techno 12-15-18 01:46 PM

I was tired and distracted during the movie, and I don't think I can give it an honest assessment right now. I am actually considering seeing it again, because I lost track of what was going on. The special effects were great, though.

Kal-El 12-15-18 01:57 PM

Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Christian Rivers) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Raftery,

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13462817)
Hmm, I guess I haven’t been paying close enough attention to this. Based on all the “From the creators of the Lord of the Rings films” stuff in the tv spots for this, I just assumed Peter Jackson was the director.

I don’t know Jack shit about Christian Rivers.

He's Peter's storyboard and pre-vis guy from LOTR.

Perkinsun Dzees 12-15-18 02:57 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/s2ZRysLj/harley-bomb2.jpg

dex14 12-15-18 03:11 PM

:lol:

Why So Blu? 12-15-18 03:12 PM

Seeing this tomorrow morning.

mhg83 12-15-18 07:19 PM

My review of Mortal Engines
Star wars set on earth in future with rolling cities . The ending
Spoiler:
Right down to having a "Death Star" weapon. It even ends the same way luke blew up the death star lol

Abob Teff 12-15-18 09:34 PM

I’m glad mhg83 thinks of it the same way I did ... sort of a steampunk Star Wars. Saw it in 3D IMAX and had a good time with it. I almost wish it was entirely about the airships as I really enjoyed the feel of the ... band of rebels.

Nothing that will break the box office, but an enjoyable couple of hours. Unfortunately the YA source material shows through a little too much (they could have made the story more politically intriguing). Visually enthralling, particularly in 3D.

mhg83 didn’t mention the biggest SW rip-off at the end ... it was telegraphed a mile away, but just in case ...

Spoiler:
Your mother didn’t tell you ...

Why So Blu? 12-16-18 05:27 PM

This was visually spectacular. Cliche as hell, though. I did enjoy "Shrike" and would have loved to have seen more of his origins and how he actually came to be. I'm not familiar with the books.

mwbmis 12-16-18 07:31 PM

Thought the ending was odd...

Spoiler:
it seemed like the first 2/3rds of the movie were building to the two sets of "heroes" both trying to stop Hugo Weaving at the end. Instead, the blonde daughter was doing "something" during the first few strikes before deciding to go hang out outside the church and wait for her father to come out. The engineer dude I guess was working first shift the next day so he had to catch up on some z's before he had to go into work. I looked, and they both had different fates in the book. We did get to spend some time watching semi-random pilot people we sort of met die.

By the way, in real life the blonde daughter is apparently Vincent D'Onofrio's daughter with Greta Scacchi

Abob Teff 12-16-18 07:57 PM

Agreed mwbmis ... that is part of where I thought the YA appeal was too much of an influence. All in all, they tried to oversimplify and then squeeze too much in at the same time. The third act didn't come together properly.

I'm not familiar with the books at all, but this was something that could have made a damn good limited series on a streaming channel. The world building was done pretty well, but it felt a lot like Hunger Games where there is a deeper political story that is excised so we can show pretty people.

Edited to add: I looked at the Wikipedia articles for the movie and the books. Per the books article, this was originally written as a straight science fiction series for adults, but the publisher thought it would work better as YA novels. The author then stripped out a lot of the political and world building mechanisms of the story. This is where I also draw a Star Wars comparison. There are some interesting political stories in the Star Wars world, but they don't play well for audiences (or under Lucas's direction).

Why So Blu? 12-16-18 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 13463357)
Thought the ending was odd...

Spoiler:
it seemed like the first 2/3rds of the movie were building to the two sets of "heroes" both trying to stop Hugo Weaving at the end. Instead, the blonde daughter was doing "something" during the first few strikes before deciding to go hang out outside the church and wait for her father to come out. The engineer dude I guess was working first shift the next day so he had to catch up on some z's before he had to go into work. I looked, and they both had different fates in the book. We did get to spend some time watching semi-random pilot people we sort of met die.

By the way, in real life the blonde daughter is apparently Vincent D'Onofrio's daughter with Greta Scacchi

She's hot.

mwbmis 12-16-18 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13463384)
She's hot.

Well, so was Greta Scacchi.

mwbmis 12-16-18 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13463374)
I'm not familiar with the books at all, but this was something that could have made a damn good limited series on a streaming channel. The world building was done pretty well, but it felt a lot like Hunger Games where there is a deeper political story that is excised so we can show pretty people.

Given how this performed, I think we've seen the end of Mortal Engines. Honestly, I always thought the whole thing was weird. The first time I saw the trailer I assumed it was somehow related to the Mortal Instruments which also had a villain named Valentine.

Cusm 12-17-18 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 13463416)
Given how this performed, I think we've seen the end of Mortal Engines. Honestly, I always thought the whole thing was weird. The first time I saw the trailer I assumed it was somehow related to the Mortal Instruments which also had a villain named Valentine.

I hate these premises of stories where the world is "destroyed" yet they have better technology than before.

Why So Blu? 12-17-18 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm (Post 13463611)
I hate these premises of stories where the world is "destroyed" yet they have better technology than before.

They only mentioned the timeline once and Mortal Engines takes place in like 3123 or something. Being 1,000 years in the future. They would have awesome technology.

Sean O'Hara 12-17-18 12:36 PM

Posters in this thread make up 70% of the film's audience.

If you see London sadly chugging its way into the sunset, give it some space. It must be devastated after hearing how Peter Jackson’s Mortal Engines bottomed out during its opening weekend, bringing in approximately $7.5 million domestic and $42.3 million worldwide. The film’s budget was over $100 million, potentially setting it up for a nearly $100 million loss, depending on its continued performance.