Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Lang

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Lang

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Christian Rivers) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Raftery,

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Hmm, I guess I haven’t been paying close enough attention to this. Based on all the “From the creators of the Lord of the Rings films” stuff in the tv spots for this, I just assumed Peter Jackson was the director.

I don’t know Jack shit about Christian Rivers.
He's Peter's storyboard and pre-vis guy from LOTR.
Old 12-15-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, L

Old 12-15-18, 03:11 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, L

Old 12-15-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Seeing this tomorrow morning.
Old 12-15-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

My review of Mortal Engines
Star wars set on earth in future with rolling cities . The ending
Spoiler:
Right down to having a "Death Star" weapon. It even ends the same way luke blew up the death star lol
Old 12-15-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I’m glad mhg83 thinks of it the same way I did ... sort of a steampunk Star Wars. Saw it in 3D IMAX and had a good time with it. I almost wish it was entirely about the airships as I really enjoyed the feel of the ... band of rebels.

Nothing that will break the box office, but an enjoyable couple of hours. Unfortunately the YA source material shows through a little too much (they could have made the story more politically intriguing). Visually enthralling, particularly in 3D.

mhg83 didn’t mention the biggest SW rip-off at the end ... it was telegraphed a mile away, but just in case ...

Spoiler:
Your mother didn’t tell you ...
Old 12-16-18, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was visually spectacular. Cliche as hell, though. I did enjoy "Shrike" and would have loved to have seen more of his origins and how he actually came to be. I'm not familiar with the books.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-16-18 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-16-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Thought the ending was odd...

Spoiler:
it seemed like the first 2/3rds of the movie were building to the two sets of "heroes" both trying to stop Hugo Weaving at the end. Instead, the blonde daughter was doing "something" during the first few strikes before deciding to go hang out outside the church and wait for her father to come out. The engineer dude I guess was working first shift the next day so he had to catch up on some z's before he had to go into work. I looked, and they both had different fates in the book. We did get to spend some time watching semi-random pilot people we sort of met die.

By the way, in real life the blonde daughter is apparently Vincent D'Onofrio's daughter with Greta Scacchi
Old 12-16-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed mwbmis ... that is part of where I thought the YA appeal was too much of an influence. All in all, they tried to oversimplify and then squeeze too much in at the same time. The third act didn't come together properly.

I'm not familiar with the books at all, but this was something that could have made a damn good limited series on a streaming channel. The world building was done pretty well, but it felt a lot like Hunger Games where there is a deeper political story that is excised so we can show pretty people.

Edited to add: I looked at the Wikipedia articles for the movie and the books. Per the books article, this was originally written as a straight science fiction series for adults, but the publisher thought it would work better as YA novels. The author then stripped out a lot of the political and world building mechanisms of the story. This is where I also draw a Star Wars comparison. There are some interesting political stories in the Star Wars world, but they don't play well for audiences (or under Lucas's direction).

Last edited by Abob Teff; 12-16-18 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-16-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Thought the ending was odd...

Spoiler:
it seemed like the first 2/3rds of the movie were building to the two sets of "heroes" both trying to stop Hugo Weaving at the end. Instead, the blonde daughter was doing "something" during the first few strikes before deciding to go hang out outside the church and wait for her father to come out. The engineer dude I guess was working first shift the next day so he had to catch up on some z's before he had to go into work. I looked, and they both had different fates in the book. We did get to spend some time watching semi-random pilot people we sort of met die.

By the way, in real life the blonde daughter is apparently Vincent D'Onofrio's daughter with Greta Scacchi

She's hot.
Old 12-16-18, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
She's hot.
Well, so was Greta Scacchi.
Old 12-16-18, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I'm not familiar with the books at all, but this was something that could have made a damn good limited series on a streaming channel. The world building was done pretty well, but it felt a lot like Hunger Games where there is a deeper political story that is excised so we can show pretty people.
Given how this performed, I think we've seen the end of Mortal Engines. Honestly, I always thought the whole thing was weird. The first time I saw the trailer I assumed it was somehow related to the Mortal Instruments which also had a villain named Valentine.
Old 12-17-18, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Given how this performed, I think we've seen the end of Mortal Engines. Honestly, I always thought the whole thing was weird. The first time I saw the trailer I assumed it was somehow related to the Mortal Instruments which also had a villain named Valentine.

I hate these premises of stories where the world is "destroyed" yet they have better technology than before.
Old 12-17-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cusm
I hate these premises of stories where the world is "destroyed" yet they have better technology than before.

They only mentioned the timeline once and Mortal Engines takes place in like 3123 or something. Being 1,000 years in the future. They would have awesome technology.
Old 12-17-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posters in this thread make up 70% of the film's audience.

If you see London sadly chugging its way into the sunset, give it some space. It must be devastated after hearing how Peter Jackson’s Mortal Engines bottomed out during its opening weekend, bringing in approximately $7.5 million domestic and $42.3 million worldwide. The film’s budget was over $100 million, potentially setting it up for a nearly $100 million loss, depending on its continued performance.
Old 12-17-18, 12:40 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Last edited by dex14; 12-17-18 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Old 12-17-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Crap, does this mean sci-fi explosions are at risk?

Old 12-17-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cusm
According to the author of the books, it as envisioned as an alternate timeline that diverged from our time around 1900.

The books also (from what I read about them) address the fact that humanity has basically continued to “lose intelligence” since the 60 Second War and no longer has the skills or ability to create new industry and technology, thus the cities are dying (hence the title “Mortal Engines”).

Damn, can’t you guys just sit back and enjoy something?

Then again, I kind of liked both Valerian and John Carter.
Old 12-17-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m not saying the movie is great, but a box office performance that bad is not based on how bad a movie is in its first week. It is either completely misjudged audience demand or failed marketing. Opening against Spider-Man was a huge mistake.
Old 12-17-18, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I’m not saying the movie is great, but a box office performance that bad is not based on how bad a movie is in its first week. It is either completely misjudged audience demand or failed marketing. Opening against Spider-Man was a huge mistake.
I don't think it made a difference. Spider-man only pulled $35m.
Old 12-17-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
I don't think it made a difference. Spider-man only pulled $35m.

Spider-Man cost only 90 million and word of mouth is nuts for it. It will turn a profit. ME will not, unfortunately.
Old 12-17-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Spider-Man cost only 90 million and word of mouth is nuts for it. It will turn a profit. ME will not, unfortunately.
Agreed. I was just saying Spider-verse didn't have a huge opening so it is unlikely it ate into Mortal Engines business.
Old 12-17-18, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh, just a bad weekend altogether. I would have thought Spider-Man did better.

I know Aquaman comes out, but anybody else think Spider-Man will have a bigger second week?
Old 12-17-18, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Agreed. I was just saying Spider-verse didn't have a huge opening so it is unlikely it ate into Mortal Engines business.
Ah, gotcha.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.