DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Lang (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/642402-mortal-engines-2018-d-rivers-p-jackson-walsh-s-hilmar-sheehan-weaving-lang.html)

dex14 12-13-17 02:09 PM

Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Lang

https://static3.srcdn.com/wp-content...h=393&fit=crop

Mortal Engines is an upcoming New Zealand-American science fiction action adventure film directed by Christian Rivers and written by Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens. It is based on the novel of the same name by Philip Reeve. The film is set in a post-apocalyptic steampunk world where entire cities have been mounted on wheels and motorised, and prey on one another. It stars Robert Sheehan, Hera Hilmar, Hugo Weaving, Jihae, Leila George, Ronan Raftery, and Stephen Lang. It is set to be released in theaters on December 14, 2018.
The trailer is supposed to be attached to The Last Jedi.

Abob Teff 12-13-17 08:24 PM

Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, L

Not familiar with this, but it sounds interesting.

Troy Stiffler 12-13-17 09:46 PM

Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, L

Yep'. Sounds interesting. And I'm really curious to see how the design of everything looks. Motorized cities sounds complex to show on screen.

TomOpus 12-15-17 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13225627)
The trailer is supposed to be attached to The Last Jedi.

It was. At first I thought someone did a live-action Howl's Moving Castle. Looked pretty damn good.

Troy Stiffler 12-17-17 03:49 PM

Sooo disappointed this wasn't in my Last Jedi's trailers (Harkins Theaters). :(

TomOpus 12-18-17 05:50 AM

I figured once the trailer played in the theater, it would get officially released but I can't find it. Guess I'll have to watch The Last Jedi again to see it.

dex14 12-18-17 10:07 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fupYIggOq38" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RichC2 12-18-17 10:16 AM

Visually it reminds me a bit of Now and Then Here and There ... if it were shot as a Mad Max movie.

TomOpus 12-18-17 11:00 AM

Of course they release the trailer a few hours after I bitch about not having a trailer :)

Troy Stiffler 12-18-17 11:44 AM

Well there it is. I was curious how it'd look. Neat designs. Looking forward to seeing more.

kd5 12-26-17 11:09 AM

Looking forward to seeing this even more than I am to seeing Bright.

dex14 06-05-18 10:13 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IRsFc2gguEg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RichC2 06-05-18 10:05 PM

Ehhh. I can't say that trailer did much for me. Felt a little too Sky Captain.

Why So Blu? 06-05-18 11:52 PM

Looks great!

Draven 06-06-18 09:23 AM

Looks very Bioshock: Infinite. I’m in!

dom56 06-06-18 09:34 AM

Unless I miss it, I didn't see Stephen Lang in the trailer. I presume it a minor role?

csant 06-06-18 01:00 PM

Im so in... looks great.

moviepost 11-18-18 11:50 PM

Mortal Engines (2018, D: Christian Rivers) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Raftery, Lang

An upcoming Dystopian movie Mortal Engines is to be released in US at December 14th 2018.

Synopsis : Set in a world many thousands of years in the future. Earthís cities now roam the globe on huge wheels, devouring each other in a struggle for ever diminishing resources. On one of these massive Traction Cities, Tom Natsworthy has an unexpected encounter with a mysterious young woman from the Outlands who will change the course of his life forever.

Director : Christian Rivers

Screenplay : Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh.

Starring : Hera Hilmar, Robert Sheehan, Hugo Weaving, Ronan Raftery, Stephen Lang.

The movie's based on a YA dystopian novel with the same title by Philip Reeve.

Are you interested in watching dystopian movie adaptations after The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Maze Runner ? I think the craze have die down lately.

dex14 12-06-18 10:07 PM

Reviews coming in: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mortal_engines

Not looking good.

I may still check it out. But with all the new releases coming out it’s a low priority.

Giantrobo 12-07-18 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13347137)
Looks very Bioshock: Infinite.

:up:

Troy Stiffler 12-15-18 12:43 PM

This came out and nobody noticed? Iíll check it out this weekend.

GoldenJCJ 12-15-18 01:13 PM

Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Christian Rivers) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Raftery,

Originally Posted by moviepost (Post 13446389)
An upcoming Dystopian movie Mortal Engines is to be released in US at December 14th 2018.

Synopsis : Set in a world many thousands of years in the future. Earth’s cities now roam the globe on huge wheels, devouring each other in a struggle for ever diminishing resources. On one of these massive Traction Cities, Tom Natsworthy has an unexpected encounter with a mysterious young woman from the Outlands who will change the course of his life forever.

Director : Christian Rivers

Screenplay : Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh.

Starring : Hera Hilmar, Robert Sheehan, Hugo Weaving, Ronan Raftery, Stephen Lang.

The movie's based on a YA dystopian novel with the same title by Philip Reeve.

Are you interested in watching dystopian movie adaptations after The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Maze Runner ? I think the craze have die down lately.

Hmm, I guess I haven’t been paying close enough attention to this. Based on all the “From the creators of the Lord of the Rings films” stuff in the tv spots for this, I just assumed Peter Jackson was the director.

I don’t know Jack shit about Christian Rivers.

TomOpus 12-15-18 01:29 PM

From what some friends said, it's gorgeous-looking but bland.

E Unit 12-15-18 01:42 PM

My sister asked if this was in any way part of the Mortal Instruments series. So yeah, this is pretty much DOA.

Orbi-Wan Techno 12-15-18 01:46 PM

I was tired and distracted during the movie, and I don't think I can give it an honest assessment right now. I am actually considering seeing it again, because I lost track of what was going on. The special effects were great, though.