Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

AMC stinks

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 835 Likes on 392 Posts
Re: AMC stinks

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
For moviepass, you will not be able to reserve tickets from home. With moviepass, you must checkin to the movie you are seeing before buying the ticket and you must be in the parking lot to checkin.
Unless you are checking in at one of the 4 theater chains that allow e-ticketing via MoviePass, then you can check in from home, but you still must do it the same calendar day.

If you're not at one of those chains, but you're close enough to the theater that you don't mind making two trips, you could always buy your evening tickets at the box office earlier in the day.
Old 12-11-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

Haha. I didn't think of that one. I'm guessing the cell phone scan was accepted, even though they were a day early. And the ticket taker didn't notice.
Old 12-11-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
seems a lot of folks in here like AMC. Do any of you use movie pass to buy the reserved tickets with AMC? Info on the movie pass site seems limited and I'd like to take advantage of the program but I hate to give up getting advanced seating buy buying at the box office...
My AMC has many screens that are not reserve seating. But I have used MoviePass to buy a reserved seat at my AMC (it was not 3D or IMAX or Dolby Cinema but it was Prime).

Is your AMC nothing but reserved seating?
Old 12-11-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Unfortunately for me AMC is the only option in town. It was formerly a Carmike which was outdated in the first place. The seating could be updated and the screens definitely could be replaced. All they did was rebrand what was existing and added some things to the concession stand and upped the prices.
Similar to Mike86 here ... only AMC theaters in town (three of them). They bought up GKC or Kerasotas (I forget which one) and have put minimal work into already rundown theaters. That said, one of them was built new several years ago but is far from the “showcase” theater they claim it to be.

They are WAY overpriced for a city this size and they run their theaters poorly, but they are the only game in town. This year they threw in an air-quote-IMAX-air-quote because one of the most popular “wants” in Springfield is a modern movie theater with an IMAX. AMC tossed this in as cheap as they could to try to take away a potential competitive advantage from any new company coming in.

I go to the local theaters maybe two or three times a year if it is a last minute, on a whim visit (i.e., escaping work or home since I have a free moment). Otherwise I would rather drive 30 miles to Lincoln for an independent theater or an hour to go to the IMAX in Bloomington. Or I plan seeing movies while I am out of town.
Old 12-12-17, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts

Reserve seating is a double edge sword. Yes it's nice in theory to pick and know where you are going to sit ahead of time but in order to do that you still have to get to the theater earlier to get a good seat or you have to pay fandango or some other stupid secondary service a service charge for the privilege of using their online service to buy them ahead of time. It's like stupid ticketmaster fees all over again. Plus since I have Movie Pass now I can't buy tickets ahead of time online anyways. I always thought I would like reserve seating but now I think I'd rather have the old way back again.
Old 12-12-17, 02:51 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

If you’re a member of the theater chain like AMC, you can have the Fandango service charge waived by using your membership card. It’s good for movies where I know well ahead of time if I want to see a particular movie. I reserved my seat for The Last Jedi weeks ago because if I didn’t, I wouldn’t see it until the next day or two and I’m working the weekend it comes out, so the Thursday night showings are ideal, as I really want to avoid being spoiled.
Old 12-12-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 426 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
My AMC has many screens that are not reserve seating. But I have used MoviePass to buy a reserved seat at my AMC (it was not 3D or IMAX or Dolby Cinema but it was Prime).

Is your AMC nothing but reserved seating?
the AMC near me has been 100% reserved seating for a few years now. They updated it with the newer reclining seats and at that point all the screens went to reserved seating...
Old 12-12-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 296 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
My local AMC is great. It has one of the first Dolby Cinema screens, an IMAX, a bar (with bartender), upscaled menu, separate concession stand for ice cream stuff. It has the self-serve Coke and ICEE machines. Plus multiple ticket kiosks.

My only issue is their pricing structure but that evaporated when I started using MoviePass.
Man, you bring up MoviePass any chance you get...you're obsessed

It's going to be like watching a junkie go through withdrawals once they go under or go back to their previous prices.
Old 12-12-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Man, you bring up MoviePass any chance you get...you're obsessed
If I don't mention why their pricing structure is no longer an issue, someone might ask.

But my apologies. I won't mention (it) outside the
Spoiler:
MP thread]
Old 12-12-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Reminds me of... Chmiel I think it was that would bring up Movie Pass every time he got that chance when the service first came out
Old 12-12-17, 05:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

It's hard for me not to mention MP because it so dramatically has changed my movie theater experience, and I want to make sure everyone has it. On topic to this thread, I guess it has/will reduce my frequency of movie theater complaints. For ~$1 a film I can't complain much, even about Regal's piss poor theaters. Oops...
Old 12-12-17, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 629 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Precisely. Any person who complains about reserved seats must be too young to remember the old way.

I’ve never seen a theater that didn’t have the ticket guy behind glass. What other option is there?
There is two I know of.
Penn Cinema

One of them is in Wilmington Del the other is in a suburb of Philly.

Only one counter for snacks and tickets inside the lobby.
Old 12-12-17, 09:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I generally like AMC, although I had some bad experiences recently. Over the weekend I went to the “flagship” AMC in Times Square, where I have seen many many movies over the years. But boy has that place gone to hell.
My wife and I saw two movies. In both auditoriums, our seats did not have all their armrests. We were baffled when we noticed this in the first movie, and sitting down for the second it was a big WTF moment.
Also during our visit:
-saw a tampon on the floor in front of the men’s room
-a guy was washing his hair in the men’s room
-homeless people wandering in and out
-a couple carrying in bags of food and enjoying a noisy, smelly 4-course meal during the movie
-and of course, people talking, using cell phones, etc.
Anyone missing the “good old New York City” should head to the AMC Empire 25 in Times Square in the cold of winter or the heat of summer for a good blast from the past.
Old 12-12-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 835 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
There is two I know of.
Penn Cinema

One of them is in Wilmington Del the other is in a suburb of Philly.

Only one counter for snacks and tickets inside the lobby.
My theaters don't have snacks and tickets at the same counter, but only one theater in my area puts their ticket sellers behind glass. Ticket counter at the front of the lobby, concession counter at the back. Something like this:

Old 12-12-17, 09:39 PM

Also, what’s up with the AMC Stubs express lines? Often it’s quicker to just use the regular line. And sometimes I use the Stubs line and I’m ignored, or someone in the regular line gets mad that I get to go before them.
Old 12-12-17, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts

You think going there to see a movie sucks? Try working there.
Old 12-13-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by skywalker8
-saw a tampon on the floor in front of the men’s room
Used?

-a guy was washing his hair in the men’s room
-homeless people wandering in and out
Isn't this anywhere in NYC that has a lobby with bathrooms and is climate controlled?

-a couple carrying in bags of food and enjoying a noisy, smelly 4-course meal during the movie
-and of course, people talking, using cell phones, etc.
Isn't this any regular theater nowadays? I can't remember the last time I saw a movie and I didn't have to deal with the overpowering smells of some outside food brought into the theater. Last time it was a big bucket of KFC. People sat in the back row under the air vent which pushed the smell all throughout the auditorium.
Old 12-13-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
My theaters don't have snacks and tickets at the same counter, but only one theater in my area puts their ticket sellers behind glass. Ticket counter at the front of the lobby, concession counter at the back. Something like this:

In Irvine and the surrounding areas where i'm at, just about all the theaters I can think of (mostly Regal and AMC) have the ticket booths outside behind the glass, and then a separate entrance to walk in to the lobby of the theater.

This is the AMC in Irvine/Tustin that I go to occasionally -

Ticket booth and automated machines to the right, then main entrance to the left of that. Even in Sacramento where I visit occasionally is set up similar (Cinemark/Century). The theaters around me that do have ticket booths inside are fancy theaters where I'd just buy tickets online anyway (Cinepolis, Arclight).
Old 12-13-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts

Skywalker8 — were the armrests just in the “up” position? I’ve started to notice more and more places where you can flip the armrest out of the way for ... snuggling?
Old 12-13-17, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The theater were I worked a few years ago, we were nstructed to lift all the arm rests after each movie.
Didn't always happen but it did most of the time.
Old 12-13-17, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the concession/ticket purchasing area at Penn Cinema Riverfront in Wilmington De.

I worked there for 6 months. Opened the place and was best job I ever had.

Loved it.
All theaters should be as good as this. I wonder how it is to work for an Alamo Draft House.
Old 12-14-17, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Skywalker8 — were the armrests just in the “up” position? I’ve started to notice more and more places where you can flip the armrest out of the way for ... snuggling?
Nope, they were completely removed.
Old 12-14-17, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool
Used?
Thankfully, no. Or not as far as I was able to tell.

Originally Posted by jjcool
Isn't this anywhere in NYC that has a lobby with bathrooms and is climate controlled?
Not really. A lot of fast food restaurants and public spaces, and subways, but the AMC Times Square is the theater that has it the worst. There’s a Regal directly across the street from it and that one doesn’t have it anywhere near as bad. Probably because they don’t have the kind of AM/matinee pricing that AMC has that brings in the homeless for the day. That theater also checks bags.
Old 12-14-17, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony

This is the concession/ticket purchasing area at Penn Cinema Riverfront in Wilmington De.

I worked there for 6 months. Opened the place and was best job I ever had.

Loved it.
All theaters should be as good as this. I wonder how it is to work for an Alamo Draft House.
Wait a second, you can buy your ticket and concessions at the same place? I've never seen or heard of that before.

Doesn't that create longer lines as people buy tickets and then mull over what garbage they want to take to their seats to eat? What if you just want to get to your theater and every cashier is occupied with getting people their snack orders? Sounds like a terrible idea, unless I'm missing something.
Old 12-14-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Not really. A lot of fast food restaurants and public spaces, and subways, but the AMC Times Square is the theater that has it the worst. There’s a Regal directly across the street from it and that one doesn’t have it anywhere near as bad. Probably because they don’t have the kind of AM/matinee pricing that AMC has that brings in the homeless for the day. That theater also checks bags.
So they are buying a ticket and staying all day and not just wandering in and sitting all day?

Last edited by jjcool; 12-15-17 at 12:44 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.