Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-20, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
You know you should stop filling your head with bullshit you read and watch on the internet right? Knives Out was great.
I just felt like posting since I just saw this video from Midnight's Edge.
Old 03-05-20, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
You know you should be a Star Wars fan if you are a director of a Star Wars movie right? I'll never watch Knives Out because of Roundhead Johnson.
https://youtu.be/pHNHRlN-vUE
Same here. I hear great things about it, but since RJ ruined this film, you can pretty much throw him in the pit with Brent Ratner.

Now Doctor Sleep... that was one hell of a film and completely superior to TLJ. Hell, Obi-Wan is still able to maintain the high ground after all these years.
Old 03-05-20, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
You know you should be a Star Wars fan if you are a director of a Star Wars movie right?
No, I don't know that, and I would vehemently disagree. You should be a good writer/director, which Johnson IS.
I'll never watch Knives Out because of Roundhead Johnson.
Your loss bro. KO was way better than Episode 9.
The following 2 users liked this post by slop101:
IBJoel (03-05-20), Jay G. (03-05-20)
Old 03-05-20, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
No, I don't know that, and I would vehemently disagree. You should be a good writer/director, which Johnson IS.
I'd argue that Rian Johnson is both a good writer/director and a big Star Wars fan.

People want to gatekeep who counts as a "Star Wars fan," and anyone that disagrees with their view isn't a "true" fan, i.e. the "no true Scotsman" fallacy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

TLJ is the only film of the sequel trilogy that explores The Force in any meaningful way, and expanding the Star Wars universe. J.J. Abrams just does surface fan service, and repeats what came before, shrinking the universe in the process. That's one type of fan, sure, but I prefer RJ's type when making new movies.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jay G.:
brayzie (03-05-20), IBJoel (03-05-20), slop101 (03-05-20)
Old 03-05-20, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
story...

It's a trap!
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-05-20)
Old 03-05-20, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's... fine. However, it wouldn't make sense for the story TLJ was telling. I mean, someone might as well edit Luke pulling off the Holdo Manuever; it'd make about as much sense, and would be the same level of wish fulfillment, maybe more.
I like the idea of Ackbar sacrificing himself (it would have worked to an extent considering he was supposedly on that ship and died off screen with only a throwaway line mentioning it) over a never before seen or mentioned Admiral Holdo but you’re right that would have changed the whole story it was telling. However, I would probably be ok if the whole mutiny storyline had been re-written in the first place.
Old 03-05-20, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I like the idea of Ackbar sacrificing himself (it would have worked to an extent considering he was supposedly on that ship and died off screen with only a throwaway line mentioning it....
Ackbar died on screen. He explicitly gets film shots and lines early in the battle on the bridge, and when the bridge is blown up, he's in the shot in the background, behind Leia. That's how I remember it, and I just re-watched that scene to double check.
Old 03-05-20, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Ackbar died on screen. He explicitly gets film shots and lines early in the battle on the bridge, and when the bridge is blown up, he's in the shot in the background, behind Leia. That's how I remember it, and I just re-watched that scene to double check.
Hmm, I guess you’re right. I just rewatched the movie and only vaguely remember Ackbar dying in it.