Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I saw this on a real imax and it never switched to full screen. Why?
Old 12-16-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by mhg83
I thought the way things were going;

Snoke Is "killed"

Same fight with Guards.

Snoke awakes and is revealed to be Darth Sidious.

A chase ensues. Ren and Rey escape together.

Ren turning good would make Episode 9 really interesting with conflict between the resistance , Rey, and Ren. Would the Resistance be able to truly trust him? Rey would probably be an outcast but in the end they would need both of them to take down Sidious.
That would've been interesting.

Some leaks which now (I guess) seems to be fan fiction had Snoke being some type of Dark Side Demon/Entity that possesses Rey by the end of the film, which would then have Kylo/Luke teaming up in the next film to confront/save her.
Old 12-16-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 963 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by nmr1723
A lot of what I'm reading is the disappointment in Luke's exit from the saga. I don't agree with this at all. Luke was NEVER a badass. He was a whiny kid and a conflicted adult. He was saved time and again by his friends after being in situations that were way out of his league. I would have been disappointed if this now senior citizen ended up in some epic lightsaber duel with Ren. In the end, he helped his friends the best way that he could. After that, he was at peace and could become one with the force.
I think this is a very good point and I think this part will play a lot better on subsequent viewings. I think people did not like the fakeout nature of it.

I'm also not sure why everyone wants EVERY damn thing explained. The great thing about the OT is that there was so much mystery. We didn't know much about the jedi, the emperor, Yoda, or our main characters. Why does it matter where Snoke came from? I'm not sure about you guys, but Palpatine's backstory didn't make me enjoy the emperor more in the OT. I didn't need to know that Boba Fett was built in a lab, and I sure as hell didn't ever need or want to see Yoda with a lightsaber. He was so much cooler as the old green dude with a cane, that makes shitty food, and talks backwards sometimes (but not in EVERY sentence). I also don't care who Rey's parents are. I truly hope Ren was right and they are nobody.
There are some complaining about lack of backstory but others who are more concerned with the role that those characters played and in how they were marketed.

For me at least the death of Snoke really completes Kylo's story. He is the only bad guy left for eps 9. I guess we'll find out in the next movie but it seems like they had a good arch going and just ended it early. Plus he was built up to be this really powerful dark force user within the movie so it is disappointing that we didn't get to know a little more about him.

Canto Bight was a total slog. I can agree with the criticisms here. It truly feels like another movie inside a movie. Poor decision by Johnson here.
I think this is the one point that everyone can agree on. I don't mind it if the hero's plans don't work, in fact I appreciate it when they don't as it's less predictable, but for them to dedicate this large of a chunk of the movie that didn't fit thematically with the rest of the movie and only served to separate the group (especially Finn and Poe who had great chemistry together and whom everyone wanted to see more of). I agree with someone who stated it felt like it was lifted from the prequels.

In the end, Johnson didn't really give a shit about what happened prior to this movie. He moved along the characters that needed to moved in my opinion (Rey, Ren, Poe, Hux) to set up the finale. This was never about Luke/Han/Leia and I'm OK with that. Their story was pretty much over for me after ROTJ. The fact that we got them at all is a true bonus.

All my opinion, of course. Maybe I'll change my mind in an hour when I see it again. But right now, I like what Disney is doing.
And this is the biggest problem with me. Not necessarily his treatment with OT characters but it really seems like he went out of his way to dead end all of the most interesting threads that JJ had set up in the first movie. Of course this could all be part of the plan and the eventual trilogy could work out very well together but as of now it sure doesn't feel like it.
Old 12-16-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
I saw this on a real imax and it never switched to full screen. Why?
Because it wasn't shot that way. I think only Christopher Nolan bothers with actually shooting some scenes in 70mm IMAX. Most other films screened on IMAX are just blown up.
Old 12-16-17, 09:22 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I feel so stupid… I just realized that the actor who plays General Hux is Brendan Gleeson's son.

That's why he looked familiar.

I lol'd when Kylo sucker punched him (Hulk-vs-Thor style).
Old 12-16-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Because it wasn't shot that way. I think only Christopher Nolan bothers with actually shooting some scenes in 70mm IMAX. Most other films screened on IMAX are just blown up.
None of this movie was shot with IMAX cameras? A lot of websites say scenes were shot with them
Old 12-16-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't really get THE CAPITAL LETTERS FOR EMPHASIS, I think this discussion traced back to the disappointment that they didn't shift some scenes around in this movie given Carrie's death, as there was plenty of opportunity to make Leia's death meaningful while they still had a chance and not leave her character's fate in limbo.
You're right. Reading the conversation again rennervision was arguing for them to kill her in this movie. My fault. But the way he kept responding I thought he was being obtuse as I think that mabuse brought up a pretty good way of dealing with her death in the opening scroll.

I'm pretty sure we won't find out until maybe a year or 2 after eps 9 releases but I am extremely curious what the plan for Leia was if Carrie hadn't passed.

...or if they had a plan at all or are they flying by the seat of their pants.
Old 12-16-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
So she used The Force to move herself as we've seen others use it to move objects and push opponents, but now we're to believe it also supplied her with oxygen and kept the extreme cold from killing her? That's some incredible Force wielding for a non-Jedi.
I agree. That's why I think it would have been better if they had sped up that sequence. Have her blown out in space then reaching her hand to quickly pull herself back and lose consciousness just before she reaches the door. The way it was shot was terrible, they actually showed her freezing and subconsciously (?) pulling herself towards the door that came across as unintentionally comedic.
Old 12-16-17, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

3rd viewing tonight, still like it. It really kicks in for me from the throne room to the end. All 3 audiences Ive seen it with absolutely loved Kylo killing Snoke. I think the general public really wanted him and Rey to stay teamed up. The audience was little quieter but still a big reaction for Luke at the end.

I have a few friends who are life long Star Wars friends who hated it. I just don't even know what to say to them. I guess Disney didn't film their script either.
Old 12-16-17, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I'm pretty sure we won't find out until maybe a year or 2 after eps 9 releases but I am extremely curious what the plan for Leia was if Carrie hadn't passed.

...or if they had a plan at all or are they flying by the seat of their pants.
My big concern now is they're just making this stuff up as they go along and no one bothered to plan out a story arc across VII through IX. That's not the best way to write a trilogy.
Old 12-16-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I'll read through this thread later but just saw it.

I mean, basically Poe annihilated the rebellion, do I have that right? Who needs double agents when you have that guy around... and now they're all going to follow him? They should just bounce ideas off of him and pick whichever one he doesn't like.

Also, Jedi REALLY don't like explaining or training the next generation, do they?

Last edited by fujishig; 12-16-17 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-16-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Leia’s line to Luke about the new haircut was more like a random ad lib from Carrie Fischer than something Leia would say when they had a huge army about to kill everybody.
Old 12-16-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
Per an EW article: "There was no established origin that Johnson inherited when he signed on to the movie. He was free to resolve it as he liked."

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/16/the-...rey-parents/2/
I really don't like this. I don't care about her coming from nobody (if that's true). I don't like the fact that they seem to be making up this trilogy as they come. There is no overall plan for the different characters. I understand that in the OT there were mistakes and inconsistencies and such and a lot of that had to do with not expecting Star Wars to be such a huge hit.

But there is no excuse why they didn't hammer out a overarching plot for this trilogy. They had plenty of time to do it and JJ dropped a lot of crumbs in the first movie that were very interesting and now so much of that was thrown out the airlock because they're just making it up as they go along. This is pretty disappointing.
Old 12-16-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Leia’s line to Luke about the new haircut was more like a random ad lib from Carrie Fischer than something Leia would say when they had a huge army about to kill everybody.
This had Carrie all over it and I absolutely loved it. You could tell she had a lot of input on her character for this movie. And I think it is totally in line with something Leia would say. She's always been a little rough around the edges and sarcastic with those closest to her.
Old 12-16-17, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
This had Carrie all over it and I absolutely loved it. You could tell she had a lot of input on her character for this movie. And I think it is totally in line with something Leia would say. She's always been a little rough around the edges and sarcastic with those closest to her.
Confirmed: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/car...ts-1201908376/

One of Carrie’s biggest contributions to the script occurs during the scene in which her character is finally reunited with her brother, Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill). The scene takes place inside the Resistance base during the climactic battle against the First Order on the the mineral planet of Crait. Luke appears inside the base, and it’s the first time the two siblings have appeared on screen together since “The Return of the Jedi.” To break the tension of not seeing her brother in many years, Leia memorably jokes that she changed her hair.

“[Carrie] loved one-liners and jokes,” Johnson tells The Daily Beast. “She could just pop out so many jokes. So the whole thing where she sits down with Luke and [says], ‘I changed my hair,’ obviously, that was her.”
Old 12-16-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

One thing about the plotting of these and sticking to a plan. I am admittedly not a very successful fiction writer, but I've published a few novels with a couple more on the way. I can't speak for anyone else's creative process, but I make an outline of where I want things to go, with varying degrees of specificity. Then, while that plan is always in my mind, I go where the story takes me. Characters do things I don’t expect, scenarios don't go how I planned, and so on.

My guess is that is how the writing of these movies goes. There is likely a plan, but if Poe works better as a character than they expected, hey, by the end of the second film, he will take over the Resistance. And so on.
Old 12-16-17, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Ok, halfway done reading the thread. I agree with stingermk's post about the complaints, and while we will never be able to take off our rose colored glasses with the original trilogy, I think there's a ton of things that would get widely panned if it came out now. I mean there are complaints about Snoke getting offed so easily, but even as a kid I remember thinking "that's all it took to kill the emperor?" And, when I watched a New Hope, I was still confused why Obi Won would just let himself die. And then later in the prequels, why he and yoda would just go off into exile and let the Empire flourish, which is exactly the same thing that Luke did.

I like that they at least tried to subvert a few things. The brash youngster's plan to daredevil his way to victory got a ton of people killed. For the first time maybe ever, the rebellion's plan to target the single flaw in the Empire's engineering doesn't go as planned at the last minute. X-wings don't even get a chance to intercept. Kylo's seeming redemption comes when killing someone in anger, which as we know from the original trilogy just brings you over to the Dark Side anyway, so no way he was getting redeemed (and Rey seemed to be murdering people with gusto as well). Even the Rey parentage reveal, while leaving it open for a retcon, played with people's notions that everything must be connected, which is what, IMHO, absolutely ruined the prequels as far as plot goes. And that moment you go "maybe they made Luke a little too powerful" and then you realize, nah.

I'm not sure what Poe's plan at the end there was on that suicide run against that massive cannon. I mean were they going to suicide dive into the cannon or something? Apparently not because when Finn was going to do it he got slammed into. In fact the whole military against military thing here is pretty terrible all around. From Poe single handedly taking out all the cannons, to them not being able to shoot down the slow bombers except by luck, to the slow march through space because they can't catch up, to the "we can track you through lightspeed but only one ship at a time", to "we have cloaking technology, let's hope nobody looks out the window even though all of our command centers and ships have nothing but windows", to a row of walkers slowly marching on a base with Kylo and command just hovering above in his spaceship, marching along with them, to every single tie fighter leaving the battle to go pursue the Falcon and utterly failing.

And at the end of the day, it accomplished the mission of all Star Wars films, it made me want to buy some toys.
Old 12-16-17, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Not even just that about the Emperor but if you think about it discounting the prequels what did Palpatine really do as a character in the Original Trilogy? Showed up as a hologram in his first appearance and was offed the first time we saw him actually present with other characters. I'm sure someone is going to bring up how that's another thing the new films retreaded on but regardless you can still look at things in the original films that weren't perfectly fleshed out or expanded on.

I think its just easier to point to imperfections in something that you're not nostalgic for.
Old 12-16-17, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A friend of mine just told me (who hated the movie) that his audience booed with Snoke was killed.

Yeah right.
Old 12-16-17, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

I'm not some hardcore Star Wars nerd that's going to tear apart every scene and analyze every detail. Was it the best Star Wars movie? No, but from a pure entertainment and escapism standpoint, it was fun and I enjoyed the experience.

Some really cool Lightsaber sequences. Rey and Kylo's sequence was pretty freaking awesome. I thought Daisy Ridley was pretty amazing in those sequences and enjoyed her in the Millenium Falcon sequences with Chewbecca. The bird was hilarious.

The whole debate on Rey being a "Nobody" and now being a Jedi, which is pissing off some people is a strange debate.

As I said, I haven't analyzed all these details. but were people expecting her to be some long-lost Skywalker relative or something? Was it ever set in stone that a Jedi had to be someone important?

Going to be interesting how they write out Leia in the next movie. Obviously they're probably going to have to jump forward in time somewhat and maybe write her out off screen saying she passed away due to illness or something.

Some of the humor was definitely forced like the Can you hear me now? thing at the beginning. Kylo losing his shit with Luke and over the top shooting of him was a little ridiculous. And then Leia being launched into space after the attack (presumably dead) and then awakening was a head scratcher as she's never been established as having any special abilities. Finn was also underused and I didn't think he and Rose had much chemistry and they seemed to force some kind of special bond between them. And it was a little long. They could have probably tightened this up a little shaving 15-20 minutes.

on the plus, Poe got more screentime and got more establishment as a character here as opposed to TFA.

So 4 out of 5 from me. I probably won't see this again until it hits 4K UHD in 4-5 months or so.
Old 12-16-17, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
As I said, I haven't analyzed all these details. but were people expecting her to be some long-lost Skywalker relative or something? Was it ever set in stone that a Jedi had to be someone important?
Yes, it appears some people wanted her related to Luke, Kenobi, Qui Gon, Yoda and every character we've seen hold a light saber.
Old 12-16-17, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Is this the shortest time frame for events to occur Star Wars in a movie? It seemed like all the shit went down within a week at most. I think the closest is that a ton of major events for the original and for RotJ happened in one day, but the entire movies themselves took place over a longer span.

Also, was I the only one who thought that initially, Leia was being guided to the ship by Kylo Ren? I mean, I guess that was later determined to be not the case, since there were no further shots of him in that scene, but for a brief moment, I thought because of his hesitation and his looking on, that we would see that he was the one leading her back. Maybe people would have been less pissed that way.

Last edited by bluetoast; 12-16-17 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A week? I think it was more like a day.

- Initial base evacuation and destruction of the dreadnought
- Resistance cruiser and escorts warp away, with the First Order in pursuit with their active tracking
- Once discovered, the cruiser only has 18 hours before it runs out of fuel
- Crippling of the First Order fleet shortly before that 18 hours runs out
- Ground battle on Krait starts maybe a few hours later
- The end
Old 12-17-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

LOVED this movie, gonna see it at least three more times.
Old 12-17-17, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So it's been confirmed who says and where the line "I have a bad feeling about this." is at.

Spoiler:
BB-8 says it at the beginning of the movie to Poe in his X-wing

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.