Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 09:49 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan
You're so clever!
You’re right, no way I can compete with “sheesh”
Old 03-28-18, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

OK, 100 pages of discussion is more than enough for this turd of a movie...
I'm done with this thread.
Old 03-28-18, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by melasnus
Says the guy who helped make it to triple digits. Clearly everyone hated this turd of a movie so much that now you can actually polish it. And boy was it polished.
Old 03-28-18, 02:18 AM

How’s this for compelling,,,,

Finn: At least you’re stealing from the bad guys and helping the good.

DJ: Good guys, bad guys, made-up words. Let's see who formerly owned this gorgeous hunk-uh. Ah, this guy was an arms dealer. Made his bank selling weapons to the bad guys. (hologram shows a tie fighter) Oh... And the good. (hologram shows a x-wing) Finn, let me learn you something big. It's all a machine, partner. Live free, don't join.

And

[DJ has sold Finn and Rose out, and revealed that the Resistance is fleeing towards Crait]
Finn: You murdering monster!
DJ: Oh, t-t-take it easy, Big F. They blow you up today, you blow them up tomorrow. Nothing personal, it's just business.
Finn: You're wrong.
DJ: Maybe.

Last edited by Brack; 03-28-18 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-28-18, 02:29 AM

Finn: At least you're stealing from the bad guys and helping the good.

DJ: Good guys, bad guys, made-up words. Let's see who formerly owned this gorgeous hunk-uh. Ah, this guy was an arms dealer. Made his bank selling weapons to the bad guys. (hologram shows a tie fighter) Oh... And the good. (hologram shows a x-wing) Finn, let me learn you something big. It's all a machine, partner. Live free, don't join.

And

[DJ has sold Finn and Rose out, and revealed that the Resistance is fleeing towards Crait]
DJ: Oh, t-t-take it easy, Big F. They blow you up today, you blow them up tomorrow. Nothing personal, it's just business.

Not compelling enough? Wait, there’s more

Or this

[last words to Rey before he is killed by Kylo Ren with Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber]

Snoke: You think you can turn him? Pathetic child. I cannot be betrayed; I cannot be beaten. I see his mind, I see his every intent. Yes. I see him turning the lightsaber to strike true. And now, foolish child, he ignites it, and kills his true enemy!

Smoked: My worthy apprentice, son of darkness, heir apparent to Lord Vader. Where there was conflict, I now sense resolve. Where there was weakness, strength. Complete your training, and fulfill your destiny.

Should I keep going?
Old 03-28-18, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Should I keep going?
No, please god, no! It was bad enough seeing it.
Old 03-28-18, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Old 03-28-18, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V
No, please god, no! It was bad enough seeing it.
I’m a fan of good writing, especially ones that depict realistic “villains”; DJ didn't double back and become a Lando. Wasn’t necessary. A new perspective of Star Wars none of the other movies really explored. He wants to live. What a wild concept.

Or Snoke predicting his own demise without even knowing it because Kylo was now capable of defeating the man he secretly hated for berating him and convincing him to kill his father for no reason?

You might not like it, but to say it’s not compelling or rich is not seeing the forest for through the trees.

I’m the cry baby when you endlessly and supposedly hate a movie that you can’t stop talking about for months with nothing new to offer? If that’s what you think. Then cry baby I am. If your best rebuttal is “leave Britney alone”, you have failed at a meaningful one.
Old 03-28-18, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m a fan of good writing, especially ones that depict realistic “villains”; DJ didn't double back and become a Lando. Wasn’t necessary. A new perspective of Star Wars none of the other movies really explored. He wants to live. What a wild concept.
How is that a "good" villain. A good villain needs good writing, lots of development, and an emotional connect with the audience. His entire story is that he "wants to live". That's as one dimensional as possible.

Or Snoke predicting his own demise without even knowing it because Kylo was now capable of defeating the man he secretly hated for berating him and convincing him to kill his father for no reason
Not really. That is a character that we barely have any emotional connect with dieing by a character that has already been established as such a loose cannon that he could blow up his own starship just because. So him killing Snoke wasn't a surprise like Vader turning on the emperor in Jedi. It's even less so since the way the Snoke scene was shot it was pretty damn obvious Kylo would turn the light saber on him.
Old 03-28-18, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by robin2099
How is that a "good" villain. A good villain needs good writing, lots of development, and an emotional connect with the audience. His entire story is that he "wants to live". That's as one dimensional as possible.
I wrote “realistic” not “good”, keep up.

And I used quotes for villain because he’s not a villain at all. He’s a survivor, and that’s understandable, not? Explain the one-dimensionally of “good guys, bad guys, made up words.” As a guy who doesn’t want to be an opportunist, he wants to survive, but even acknowledges that he might be wrong. Saving your own neck, because he thought his death was a forgone conclusion. Do we really need to know the whole background of the character of DJ? If we did, his character would have defeated his purpose.

Not really. That is a character that we barely have any emotional connect with dieing by a character that has already been established as such a loose cannon that he could blow up his own starship just because. So him killing Snoke wasn't a surprise like Vader turning on the emperor in Jedi. It's even less so since the way the Snoke scene was shot it was pretty damn obvious Kylo would turn the light saber on him.
How much about Snoke was really necessary? What’s your criteria? That’s never explained. And does it need explaining? Not really. Loose cannon? In TFA, sure. So what? Kylo ultimately was able to best Snoke by faking his allegiance because the mind brige backfired on Snoke. It was a surprise Vader killed the Emperor? Really? That might have been the most predictable thing about ROTJ, but that’s not to say it was bad. We knew Luke was not going to die, and when Luke threw down his weapon, and the Emperor was killing Luke, did anyone really think Luke was just going to die, and that Luke didn’t think his best and only option was to force his father to face the Emperor? “We’re not going to win this war by killing the ones we hate, but saving the ones we love.” And yeah, shots alluded to the Kylo killing Snoke, but the execution was still effective and Snoke’s reaction of being wrong was priceless. You may disagree, but those scenes worked for me. Sorry they didn’t work for you.

Last edited by Brack; 03-28-18 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-28-18, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Old 03-28-18, 09:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
OK guys, I finally watched TLJ a 2nd time after my initial bad experience in the theater. The reason I hung around here cause I wanted to hear the other side and try to process why this didn't work for me.

I have to eat some crow and admit I was wrong about my first viewing as I really enjoyed it when I watched it on BluRay tonight. The stuff that alienated me (Luke tossing the saber, Leia flying, Hux/Poe phone call) didn't really bother me as I was prepared for them so the shock factor of the movie was gone and I could focus on the narrative.

The Luke character worked for me on 2nd viewing, as in the end he is still the hero and the legend without 'technically' raising his lightsaber, the same thing he did in ROTJ. I don't have a problem with his death as I would rather have him go out on his own terms then some punk death by Kylo Ren or Snoke.

Poe Dameron's character really worked for me and should be a Good Resistance Leader for Episode 9. The Resistance subplot vs First Order worked fine for me as that was the one thing that didn't bother me on first viewing. Although Laura Dern's character still annoyed me, as she was just the wrong actress for SW, IMO.

The one thing I liked on my first viewing was Rey/Kylo Ren scenes and they worked just as well on 2nd viewing. The whole atmosphere of Luke's island was eerie and chilling and it reflected the tone of the first half of the movie.

The death of Snoke didn't bother me as much this time since I was expecting it as he was the one character from TFA that just didn't work for me. I was never in the 'Darth Plaguis' crowd, so his death doesn't anger me as much as it did on first viewing.

I see a theme for this trilogy as it is more about Light/Dark through Rey/Kylo Ren and I HOPE that JJ really focuses on this for Episode 9 and not cop out and get worried about revisiting Rey's heritage and whether Snoke is dead. I still think the 1-6 story has a tighter narrative, but if JJ can stick the landing with the Light/Dark theme then the 1-9 story may work from a certain point of view.

And the Luke/Leia reunion really hit me hard especially since Carrie Fisher passed away as that scene carries much more weight now. I'm still not stoked for Episode 9 the way I was for ROTJ in 1983 or ROTS in 2005 because I don't know where they are going with the movie? Maybe it's a good thing that we don't have any expectations to build up like we did before and won't have any preconceived notions of what will happen.
I appreciate your open mindedness and willingness to hear other points of view. And I’m glad you enjoy the movie more now!
Old 03-28-18, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Old 03-28-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Anyone see all the deleted scenes? Any good ones?
I liked them--
Spoiler:
the "third lesson" sounded horrible as described, but worked pretty well on screen. The others are primarily little extensions to other scenes that worked well but were cut for time, and then there's some random footage of the various creatures on Canto Bight. Oh, and there was a different opening that involved the scene where Finn wakes up that didn't quite work and was dropped, but it's fun to see.

Last edited by JeremyM; 03-28-18 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-28-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I appreciate your open mindedness and willingness to hear other points of view. And I’m glad you enjoy the movie more now!
Thanks. I know I bitched and moaned here for 3 months but I always wanted to be challenged by you guys. We're all diehard fans of the franchise, so I wanted to know what I was missing from this movie that was working for everyone? I'm actually going to get the novel this weekend, as I'm interested to see how they flesh out many of the scenes from the movie. I've stayed away from the Novel spoilers and Deleted Scenes spoilers as I'll catch up with them over the weekend.
Old 03-28-18, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
You say that like you were FORCED to participate in the discussion of something YOU DIDN'T LIKE.

Either way,
Old 03-28-18, 10:59 AM
Banned by request

Thanks. I know I bitched and moaned here for 3 months but I always wanted to be challenged by you guys. We're all diehard fans of the franchise, so I wanted to know what I was missing from this movie that was working for everyone? I'm actually going to get the novel this weekend, as I'm interested to see how they flesh out many of the scenes from the movie. I've stayed away from the Novel spoilers and Deleted Scenes spoilers as I'll catch up with them over the weekend.
I enjoyed the novel. It felt briskly paced and emphasized different moments than the movie did, plus it uses some different dialogue here and there, so it doesn’t feel like a complete carbon copy of the movie.
Old 03-28-18, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El
You say that like you were FORCED to participate in the discussion of something YOU DIDN'T LIKE.

Either way,
Strong in the FORCEd he is.
Old 03-28-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Okay, so folks wondering why Disney has no issues letting Rian Johnson continue to play in the Star Wars Universe sandbox, Deadline reports that TLJ most likely will clear over 400 million in profit for Disney. So it is not an issue that it did not get close to out-grossing The Force Awakens.

I guess Harrison Ford was paid enough to buy a small country to star in TFA because the amount of profit TLJ cleared for Disney despite grossing around 700 million less world wide is pretty jaw droppingly impressive. I eagerly look forward to my second viewing when I get around to picking up the 4K.
Old 03-28-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I think Rian Johnson just works really well with others - and it helps that he can write and direct as well.
Old 03-28-18, 01:18 PM
Banned by request

Johnson definitely gets along very well with Kathleen Kennedy.
Old 03-28-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

cungar posted this in the other forum and the first thing I thought of seeing it was this thread...

Some of us were disappointed in the movie, some people enjoyed it. Can we move on to bitching about the Solo movie and stop beating this horse?

Old 03-28-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

My mistake and apologies for not spoilerizing my comments on the deleted scenes--I have done so now, justincase.
Old 03-28-18, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
How’s this for compelling,,,,

(Rian Johnson's script)

And...

(Rian Johnson's script)

And...

(Rian Johnson's script)

Not compelling enough? Wait, there’s more...

(Rian Johnson's script)

Or this...

(Rian Johnson's script)

Should I keep going?

I’m a fan of good writing, especially ones that depict realistic “villains”...

You might not like it, but to say it’s not compelling or rich is not seeing the forest for through the trees.

“We’re not going to win this war by killing the ones we hate, but saving the ones we love.”
Damn!

With all this compelling and rich dialogue and multi-leveled, rich and compelling characterization topped off with an incredibly intricate and thought-provoking script why wasn't Rian Johnson nominated for (at the very least) a best screenwriting Oscar? What's wrong with the Academy? (Christ. Logan got a screenwriting nom this year. And Star Wars got a screenwriting nom back in 1978.)

Can't these voting members see the forest for the trees?

Let's see how it does at the 44th Saturn Awards this year. And next year's Golden Globes (which it wasn't in contention for this year.) Make me a believer!
Old 03-28-18, 03:34 PM
Banned by request

So awards will make you respect the movie? Or could it be you’re just looking for another avenue to attack it? Hmmm

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.