Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.56%
4.44%
27.78%
14.44%
21.11%
15.56%
5.56%
1.11%
1.11%
0%
1.11%
What are you high?
2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

After watching it and let it set for a bit, overall it wasn't too bad. I would rank it behind Wonder Woman and better than BvS extended. The biggest gripe from me is that there is way too much CGI, and it's not even great CGI. It's like they use it in scenes where they don't even need to. Other smaller nitpicks is the story (obviously) and the villain. Neither were great. I also don't see the love for Affleck as Batman. I don't think he fits the character well at all, and it doesn't seem like he even wants to be there. I thought most of the other actors were pretty good in their roles, even Flash. It was also a little weird have often the tone of the movie shifts back and forth, but I get that has more to do with the re-writes than anything. It's just a little jarring. I think if they can remove Snyder from the next one, they will at least be heading in the right direction with the franchise.
Old 03-26-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The real test for the future of the DCEU is Aquaman. SInce it's essentially the first film under Geoff Johns' "supervision" and not under the Snyder umbrella.

I liked the movie enough to buy a digital-only copy and when the 4K blu falls to $9.99 on Black Friday, I'll purchase it then.
Old 03-26-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,188 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
After watching it and let it set for a bit, overall it wasn't too bad. I would rank it behind Wonder Woman and better than BvS extended. The biggest gripe from me is that there is way too much CGI, and it's not even great CGI. It's like they use it in scenes where they don't even need to. Other smaller nitpicks is the story (obviously) and the villain. Neither were great. I also don't see the love for Affleck as Batman. I don't think he fits the character well at all, and it doesn't seem like he even wants to be there. I thought most of the other actors were pretty good in their roles, even Flash. It was also a little weird have often the tone of the movie shifts back and forth, but I get that has more to do with the re-writes than anything. It's just a little jarring. I think if they can remove Snyder from the next one, they will at least be heading in the right direction with the franchise.
Yeah, it really seems like Affleck phoned in his performance in this film. I think he was a lot better in Batman V Superman despite not liking aspects of how the character was written. The warehouse scene is probably one of the best Batman live action scenes ever and even his scenes in Suicide Squad were good (the scene with Deadshot and his daughter in particular). He seemed a lot more into it whereas here it was like he was in shutoff mode and didn’t really care.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-26-18 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah, it really seems like Affleck phoned in his performance in this film. I think he was a lot better in Batman V Superman despite not liking aspects of how the character was written. The warehouse scene is probably one of the best Batman live action scenes ever and even his scenes in Suicide Squad were good (the scene with Deadshot and his daughter in particular). He seemed a lot more into it whereas here it was like he was in shutoff mode and didn’t really care.
For me, the way the character is written is always the most important aspect. I guess I am more forgiving of a less than stellar performance by an actor if I am able to see what the writer and director were trying to convey.

And in Whedon's Justice League, I liked the Batman character (much the same as I like him in the final act of BvS, once they stripped off the stupid, contrived "conflict" with Superman).
Old 03-26-18, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,917 Likes on 1,995 Posts

The primary reason I would like for the "Snyder Cut" to be released is because the Justice League theatrical cut is a mess. It feels like we're missing about half of movie. It's so choppy and jumpy that it comes off like it's been edited to fill a commercial tv time slot. Warners mandated a two hour running time and it shows.

It also doesn't help when it seems like the bulk of the footage from the early trailers didn't make ot into the film. (Also looking at you, Rogue One.)
Old 03-27-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 138 Posts

I think Affleck is the best Batman to be honest. But I agree with him seeming out of it in Justice league - no surprise seeing as how he may not even come back to play the role - I really hope he does though.
Old 04-01-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watched my NF BD last night.

The butt-kicking throughout the movie was fun.
The return of Sup was well done.
The Flash as the comic relief was a hoot and the kid playing the part did a very good job.
It was great to see Aquaman in a movie finally, although he isn't the character I knew from the comics of the 60s.
After looking at the credits, it occurred to me the big-name talent must have cost a fortune.

The Russian family thing was odd and didn't fit.
I haven't a clue what the hell that was about.

I find it interesting opinions seem to be all over the place with Snyder's film.
In spite of problematic video (Warner needs to fix this), I really enjoyed the film.
Will be buying the UHD when the price comes down.
Old 04-02-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
The Russian family thing was odd and didn't fit.
I haven't a clue what the hell that was about.
There is some talk online about the kids possibly being the wonder twins.
Old 04-02-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The primary reason I would like for the "Snyder Cut" to be released is because the Justice League theatrical cut is a mess. It feels like we're missing about half of movie. It's so choppy and jumpy that it comes off like it's been edited to fill a commercial tv time slot. Warners mandated a two hour running time and it shows.

It also doesn't help when it seems like the bulk of the footage from the early trailers didn't make ot into the film. (Also looking at you, Rogue One.)
Agreed thats exactly how it felt. A cut off movie to fit in commercial breaks
But I would much rather see an extended Whedon cut over a Snyder one
Old 04-03-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I saw it again over the weekend and I still loved it.
Old 04-03-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
That makes no sense, though. I thought it was just Whedon trying to fit in some humanity into these cgi destruction scenes, but it just felt tacked on, like why are the parademons attacking this one house (later on I think we see that there were others threatened but we wouldn't know that from watching those scenes).
Old 04-03-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I did think of that, but there was no hint in the movie itself.

Originally Posted by fujishig
That makes no sense, though. I thought it was just Whedon trying to fit in some humanity into these cgi destruction scenes, but it just felt tacked on, like why are the parademons attacking this one house (later on I think we see that there were others threatened but we wouldn't know that from watching those scenes).
I thought of that too, but it just didn't fit into the movie at all.
Old 04-07-18, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 311 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Same here.

Man... all the negativity and whining about this? Not sure if I posted in here after seeing it theatrically but still love it. Superman's return was perfect!! Just too hard to please some people. This should have done better. Hopefully the follow-ups will do as good or better. Affleck owns Batman. Hopefully he returns.
Old 04-07-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,154 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
But I would much rather see an extended Whedon cut over a Snyder one
I would love to see an extended Whedon cut.

Outside of the curiousity factor, I have little interest in a Snyder cut of the film.
Old 04-08-18, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I would love to see an extended Whedon cut.

Outside of the curiousity factor, I have little interest in a Snyder cut of the film.
Based on what we got in MOS and BvS, I don’t even have any slight curiosity to see the "Snyder cut”. An extended Whedon cut could be very cool.
Old 04-08-18, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
After looking at the credits, it occurred to me the big-name talent must have cost a fortune.
Well it was reported that the budget was something like $300 million however I don't get the big name talent. There is really only Affleck who is a big name. Gadot really only has Wonder Woman as her one big hit so far, and the rest of the league are pretty low on the fame-talent rung. After seeing the movie I am amazed they spent that much money and this was the result.

Now a movie with big-name talent and costing a fortune...That's Infinity War.

And I think Affleck is great as Batman. He phoned it in here, but I would be happy to see a solo Batman flick with him in it. Looks like we shall never see that though.

Last edited by james2025a; 04-08-18 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-08-18, 07:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Not completely a thread crap, since I do like Justice League. But I finally watched the Roger Corman version of Fantastic Four a few days ago, and told my wife, “That wasn’t that good, but I can now say that all four Fantastic Four movies are better than Justice League.”
Old 04-09-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
Not completely a thread crap, since I do like Justice League. But I finally watched the Roger Corman version of Fantastic Four a few days ago, and told my wife, “That wasn’t that good, but I can now say that all four Fantastic Four movies are better than Justice League.”
Old 04-09-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Same here.

Man... all the negativity and whining about this? Not sure if I posted in here after seeing it theatrically but still love it. Superman's return was perfect!! Just too hard to please some people. This should have done better. Hopefully the follow-ups will do as good or better. Affleck owns Batman. Hopefully he returns.
Old 04-09-18, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

I haven't been too big on DC's movies, but I liked Justice League quite a bit. If the tone and look of this movie keeps going, I'd be thrilled. I thought each actor filled their role, and the last act didn't spiral into a giant debris-filled whirlwind of amorphous battling that outstayed its welcome.
Old 04-09-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe it's because I tend to be a fan of Whedon's work, but I don't get the dislike for the movie. It was not perfect, but it was fun. You know, that concept that has been missing from the previous DCEU movies (except WW)?
Old 04-09-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Gadot really only has Wonder Woman as her one big hit so far
Don't forget The Fast and Furious franchise. She was in a few of those movies and thought it made them more fun when she was around. If it wasn't for Han dying, I think they would have kept her around.
Old 04-09-18, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't help but feel this movie would have been alot better without Flash, or maybe at least without Ezra Miller playing him.
Old 04-09-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I can't help but feel this movie would have been alot better without Flash, or maybe at least without Ezra Miller playing him.
I can't argue with that point. Grant Gustin would have been awesome, but I don't think he would have fit with the way the character was written. It really seemed like they were trying to have Batman and The Flash copy the Iron Man / Spider-Man dynamic from the past couple of MCU movies.
Old 04-09-18, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,188 Likes on 924 Posts

Yeah, I didn’t like Ezra Miller at all. The attempts at humor from his character all seemed so awkward and forced.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.