Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.56%
4.44%
27.78%
14.44%
21.11%
15.56%
5.56%
1.11%
1.11%
0%
1.11%
What are you high?
2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,371 Likes on 2,157 Posts
Re: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Finally saw this last night. Yeah, it’s not great but I think it did have a few bright spots. We finally saw a glimpse of a very cool Superman! It was short but it set up what Superman should be. I also loved his brighter red/blue suit. . None of that dingy, drab bullshit from MoS and BvS.

I also thought Jason Mamoa was the standout in this. He looks like he’s having a great time as Aquaman. I’m looking forward to see what he can do with his own movie.

And I know I’m on the minority but I love Affleck as Batman. I’m not a comic reader but just the way they filmed Batman in this (perched on the side of buildings, the way he leaps, etc.) seems very comic book like to me. I’m also a big fan of the bat suit, IMO, still the best one to date!

Overall the movie wasn’t particularly good, and just seemed to hit a bunch of clichθd notes but it did something that the other movies haven’t done and that’s gotten me excited for what could come. There is a really good Superman movie waiting to be made and even a great JL movie is possible with that cast (save Ezra Miller ).
Old 03-18-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,188 Likes on 924 Posts

For what it was I didn't hate this either compared to the rest of the DCEU. Still not a good film but its watchable enough. I've likened it to being like one of the more meh animated movies.
Old 03-18-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 944 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Not sure why a lot of people say this flick is terrible, It was definitely way better than the second Avengers film and on par with the first one.
I'll go with you on way better than Ultron. I can't agree with on par with the first. Steppenwolf was such a lame villain. Maybe if he didn't look like a poorly designed video game character it would have been better. Darkseid was shoe-horned into BvS but at least he felt like a formidable foe for the team. Steppenwolf just got bitch slapped by Superman then...roll credits.

They had most of the pieces for this to be great (cast, characters, tone, set pieces, action sequences, etc) but it just fell short for me because of the villain.
Old 03-18-18, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No way is it better than Age of Ultron. I wouldn’t even say it’s better than the weaker MCU films. Maybe about on par with films like Iron Man 2 or Thor: The Dark World but not better.
Old 03-18-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 201 Likes on 166 Posts

It was okay.

The SFX were not good, imo. I thought Steppenwolf looked like crap.

My son asked me what was wrong with Superman's face/mouth.
Old 03-18-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
arkseid was shoe-horned into BvS but at least he felt like a formidable foe for the team.
You mean Doomsday. Another wasted opportunity.
Old 03-18-18, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
No way is it better than Age of Ultron. I wouldn’t even say it’s better than the weaker MCU films. Maybe about on par with films like Iron Man 2 or Thor: The Dark World but not better.
Savage...

Maybe as good as Thor: the Dark World. That should have made the poster.
Old 03-18-18, 07:53 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 410 Likes on 256 Posts

I do feel that the chase scene between Steppenwolf and the Amazons with the first tesseract (or whatever) was probably one of the best action sequences in all of the DCU and MCU.
Old 03-18-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by james2025a
You mean Doomsday. Another wasted opportunity.
My bad. Doomsday.

At no point during the Steppenwolf fight did I think our heroes were ever in any danger. Doomsday, on the other hand was kicking some ass.
Old 03-18-18, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Despite growing up a huge DC fan in my formative years, the one two punch of MOS and BvS soured me to such an extent that I had zero interest in when it was released. Not even curious enough to read spoilers.

But then as the Bd release approached, I started toying with the idea of buying it just to see what they did with WW, and because I'm a little more open to spending more money to buy something I might be able to resell than I am to spend less on a one off experience.

I still had reservations, so I went on youtube to see if a clip or two could push me over the edge. Turned out there seemed to be damn near 40 minutes worth of clips of this on there, from dialogue scenes to most of the major battles. Ended up watching them all and breathed a huge sigh of relief that I didn't throw any good money away on this.

Truly terrible CG work - Most of the big scenes looked like video game clips. A heaping helping of wholly unearned sentiment which is something that majorly chaffs me. Lousy jokes, and a general air of nothing really having stakes, despite characters blathering on about how they do.

ugh.
Old 03-19-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,952 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
There was no build up, it and wasn't earned and in the end the rush of dying and being brought back didn't even register a blip to most audience members. A character as important as Superman needs to have time to resonate and for it to be an emotional event. It failed on every level. Its why the deaths in Infinity War will work, as we have seen these characters for a while now and seen them go through human struggles and emotions. Their deaths will pay off as its not been rushed, used a a gimmick and will actually push tbr story forward.

I wish DC would learn, but they just don't seem to get it.

Please stop. Since Man of Steel, people have repeatedly let it be known that they DO NOT want DC heroes going through "struggles and emotions".
Old 03-20-18, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I still had reservations, so I went on youtube to see if a clip or two could push me over the edge. Turned out there seemed to be damn near 40 minutes worth of clips of this on there, from dialogue scenes to most of the major battles. Ended up watching them all and breathed a huge sigh of relief that I didn't throw any good money away on this.
You watched a whole 40 minutes of a two hour movie before reviewing?
Old 03-20-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Wasn't sure where to put this:

Exclusive: First Look At D.J Cotrona as Superman in ‘Justice League Mortal’

http://dcfilmshub.com/exclusive-firs...league-mortal/
Old 03-20-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,952 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Fuckin' bright ass colors. Hate it!!
Old 03-20-18, 05:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I know! This is going to fail.
Old 03-20-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Please stop. Since Man of Steel, people have repeatedly let it be known that they DO NOT want DC heroes going through "struggles and emotions".
I said emotionS. Angst is the only emotion seen so far in the DCCU.
Old 03-20-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You watched a whole 40 minutes of a two hour movie before reviewing?
Saw enough to see plenty of Video game level CG and a whole lot of unearned sentiment.

I found it literally LOL funny that Wayne used the same snarling "If there's even a 1% chance it could work..." (I believe in ref to resurrecting Superman) when the the last time (BvS) he was also similarly worked up, but a little more objectively justified in his thought process when he assessed Supes as a threat.

No debate whatsoever that this magic mumbo jumbo nonsense they are about to preform (which previously resulted in the creation of an actual monster) might have a wealth of horrifying unintended consequences.

So yeah, I saw plenty that was aggravating, irritating, and just downright lame in 40 minutes that I can't imagine the other 80 minutes plus redeeming it. Especially since most of that was the films major set pieces.
Old 03-20-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,869 Likes on 2,770 Posts

I’m sorry, but that just seems ridiculous to me. Why would you waste time watching 40 minutes of clips, trailers and such on Youtube of a 119 minute movie? And then assume the movie stinks? You might as well have just shelled out $4 and watched the whole movie as a digital copy rental and see if you liked it or to give it a more fair assessment. No one said you had to shell out $25-30 to buy the movie outright. At least you would have had more comprehension of the story and offer a better critique.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-20-18 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-20-18, 06:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah! So suffer like the rest of us!
Old 03-20-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are instances where I know I’ve seen enough of something that I won’t like it so I get where Paul is coming from. It’s not a lot different than watching a movie and shutting it off partway through.
Old 03-20-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,869 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
There are instances where I know I’ve seen enough of something that I won’t like it so I get where Paul is coming from. It’s not a lot different than watching a movie and shutting it off partway through.
But 40 minutes of a 2 hour movie?

Most would just watch the 2 minute trailer and say it’s not for them and won’t see it let alone spend money.

Why would you need to keep digging up more and more content for justifying it?

Chances are he probably saw the saw clips multiple times since the studio only releases limited scenes for trailers, EPKs and promotional purposes. I don’t believe that he watched 40 minutes of all new random scenes from the movie.
Old 03-20-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think watching a bunch of random clips rather then entire scenes in context can give a pretty inaccurate impression of what a movie actually is. Justice League trailers were pretty rough but I thought the movie as a whole, despite the Whedon/Snyder edit stuff, was better then I expected. For instance, I thought most of Flash's quips and what not would bug the shit out of me but I ended up enjoying them.
Old 03-20-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by E Unit
Yeah! So suffer like the rest of us!

Actually, my intention had been to go out to Target Tuesday morning and pick up the Digibook. For a while, I was looking forward to it.

But by early Tuesday morning I was getting this niggling doubt.

I went looking for clips because I just wanted to see anything that would have mitigated that doubt and left me with some hope that I might enjoy the film more than not.
I wasn't asking to be persuaded it was some kind of underrated masterpiece- just a few moments that looked fun and not too insulting or inane.

I kept watching more clips because I couldn't find anything to convince me.

after about 40 minutes of clips I resigned myself that I was not likely to enjoy the "full" experience any more than what I'd just watched.

The point of posting that experience here was something of a PSA. If you are on the fence about this, just know there are a shit ton of clips out there to give you a taste of the film's sensibilities.

Like me, you many not need more than that to reach a conclusion about how best to spend $20+.
Old 03-20-18, 07:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Don’t do it Paul, not even worth a rental. I mean, I like it, and will end up buying it, but I’ve thought about the Justice League everyday for 45 years.
Old 03-20-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do have vol 2 of the Bronze Age omni due here any day now. I expect to enjoy that a good bit more that what I saw on youtube.

That's not state of the art material either, but I expect nostalgia will help level out the valleys a bit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.