Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.56%
4.44%
27.78%
14.44%
21.11%
15.56%
5.56%
1.11%
1.11%
0%
1.11%
What are you high?
2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-17, 05:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I dunno, WB math is always suspect. I’m sure they’ll fudge the numbers to make themselves look better.
Old 11-18-17, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don’t see this coming close to $700-$750 million. It’ll be lucky if it gets to the $400 million mark that Wonder Woman at this point.
Old 11-18-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don’t see this coming close to $700-$750 million. It’ll be lucky if it gets to the $400 million mark that Wonder Woman at this point.
Wonder Woman made $821M worldwide.

That money is total worldwide gross. If Suicide Squad (which got atrocious reviews) can make $745M worldwide, I'm JL can come fairly close or surpass it once it gets released into more territories.

The thing that hurt JL the most (according to reports) is the reshoot money.
Old 11-18-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Boy - a lot of those cuts sound like improvements over what we got. Probably trying to keep the runtime down to preempt that criticism. Though I would have taken a lot of that even if it added to the time especially since there were a lot of characters and some more motivation or explanations would have helped.
Old 11-18-17, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a solo Wonder Woman movie can make $821M worldwide on its own, wouldn't logic dictate that a movie with Wonder Woman + Batman + Superman + some randos should make a lot more?
Old 11-18-17, 06:09 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

After reading that post about who was responsible for what, it looks like Whedon was responsible for most of the things I liked.
Old 11-18-17, 06:10 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
If a solo Wonder Woman movie can make $821M worldwide on its own, wouldn't logic dictate that a movie with Wonder Woman + Batman + Superman + some randos should make a lot more?
Logic should, which is why this will be a huge disappointment when it doesn't.
Old 11-18-17, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wonder Woman made $821M worldwide.

That money is total worldwide gross. If Suicide Squad (which got atrocious reviews) can make $745M worldwide, I'm JL can come fairly close or surpass it once it gets released into more territories.

The thing that hurt JL the most (according to reports) is the reshoot money.
Ah. Well even if it gets to the $750 million mark they probably still aren’t making a ton off it. Considering that the rumors have production alone at $300 million and probably another $200 or $300 million in advertising and promotion. Maybe $150-$250 million in profit which isn’t horrible but I imagine they wanted to make a lot more.
Old 11-18-17, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

The franchise needs Granny Goodness to get that senior-citizen weekday matinee-money!
Old 11-18-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Maybe this will wake up the Hollywood bean-counters to the fact that movies are an art form, and not a widget they can maximize profits on using some equation.
Old 11-18-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Saw it this morning with my son. The movie is not really worth giving a ton of thoughts but here are mine:

Disclaimer: I am not a DC hater though I have disliked several of their movies.

Ben Affleck fucking sucks as Batman. He fucking sucks as Bruce Wayne. And he really fucking sucks throughout this movie. Granted the way they wrote Batman may not be his fault and he wasn't given much to work with but he still is awful in this role.

And boy, did they blow it with Batman in this movie. Not intimidating at all. Not remotely the Dark Knight that Batman fans expect. He was a two bit, secondary chump in this movie. It's just awful how he was handled. And why does he look so chubby in his mask?

This was, by far, the worst portrayal by anyone playing Batman. And yes, I am including George Clooney and the 1940's serials.

Wonder Woman was good. Aquaman was decent. The Flash was okay though I think the guy who plays him on the TV show could have done the same, if not better job. Cyborg was uninteresting.

I hated Man Of Steel and really disliked Batman Vs. Superman but have to admit that Henry Cavill does his best job as Superman here. The part where he beats the shit out of the team is excellent and was easily my favorite part of the movie. He also seems better in the final fight scene than in the prior movies for whatever reason.

But Christ, can we please fire Amy Adams and find an actress that the guy has some chemistry with? He had better romantic chemistry with Gadot, Affleck, or even Diane Lane (playing his mom) for that matter. They bring every scene in each of their films to a standstill with their wooden, non-feeling performances together. Ugh.

The villain was crap. Uninteresting, CG crap. And his disposal at the end is anti-climatic and disappointing. I did like his fight with the Amazons though.

And actually, most of the CG was pretty poor. Can they not hire the same people who do the Transformer movies to do the DC movies? For a movie with this kind of name recognition and budget, it should look outstanding. This was mediocre.

Was saddened at the stinger that Lex was not recast. I was really hoping that somehow, that was going to be the surprise.

Nice little nods to the Superman and Batman themes but the overall score was not noticeable. Some of the action was scattered and hard to follow. For example, why did Batman suddenly grab The Flashe's foot? There were a couple of other parts like that.

I actually dozed a few minutes in the middle when they were all chatting together in the batcave. What should have been a fascinating roundtable was just a bore.

The humor sprinkled in was just okay with The Flash getting most of the lines...but none were really big chuckles and his constant naivete started getting on my nerves after the 86th joke about it. The biggest laugh in the house was from Batman when he said that something was bleeding.

Otherwise, another disappointment from a group of superheroes that I want so much to succeed.

My rating: 2.5 out of 5.
Old 11-18-17, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
The franchise needs Granny Goodness to get that senior-citizen weekday matinee-money!
I'm down for this... but only if they put Ed Asner in drag to reprise his role from the animated series.
Old 11-18-17, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't get why people go see a movie they don't give a shit about only to talk shit about it. I guess a thank you is in order because your admission fee counts towards the overall money the movie makes.
Old 11-18-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Some behind the scenes info from Reddit

Spoiler:

"Yo! Lots of my friends worked on the film in vfx, I worked on Wonder Woman vfx.

Some answers for you:

Answers:

Alfred's "let's hope your not too late" cut scene from the trailer is addressing Superman. No one else. It's funny because it was cut a few weeks before the trailer came out so we were like "ugh" when it was in the trailer.

The cut hologram scene is also Superman Not Supergirl, or any bullshit like that.

The cut scene of Flash breaking through the glass is from a scene where he's rushing to save Iris from a Car Crash with a hot dog van. It was cut fairly early on when Famuyiwa bailed on Flash as Kiersey Clemons was cast due to his involvement. It's currently being worked on*again*to remove Clemons and replace her with a random woman for the home release. Whether that means an extended version or just for deleted scenes, I don't know. I expect Clemons will be recast.

The original after credit scene that was shot in principal photography was Bruce being woken in the night in his lake house by a green light and being visited by Tomar Re and Kilowog. It was cut fairly early on during post.

My friends all worked on the beard removal shots. Now, nobody was happy about these having to be done in the first place - it's a ludicrous notion and had to be done in only 3 months over 4 vfx companies. A massive task, and Warner Bros were thoughtless not to push the film back based on this alone. The initial idea was to shave Henry's beard, and then WB would foot the bill for the VFX of adding the beard back in for Paramount's MI6. This was tested on existing shots from Zack's principal photography and very successful - adding a beard as opposed to removing one is a walk in the park. It's essentially body track, groom/fur SIM and lighting/comp as opposed to rebuilding a man's entire ****ing face. Despite the success, Paramount said **** off and beard removal was the only option. Why they couldn't just stick a false tache on him in MI6, we'll never know.
Old 11-18-17, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some scenes that we're not finished:

https://vimeo.com/243483255
Old 11-18-17, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by csant
I don't get why people go see a movie they don't give a shit about only to talk shit about it. I guess a thank you is in order because your admission fee counts towards the overall money the movie makes.
Maybe because they were hoping to be pleasantly surprised?
Old 11-18-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Some scenes that were not finished:

https://vimeo.com/243483255
That was one scene wasn't it?
Flash saving iris from a collision.
Old 11-18-17, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few other things:

Was the audience supposed to give a shit about the Russian family they kept cutting to over and over? Did you? I didn't. They could have cut that shit to make room for some more integral stuff.

Are characters sliding in battle the new "lens flare?"

The Mercedes with the vertical doors that Bruce Wayne was driving is badass. Is that a real model or just made for the movie?
Old 11-18-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Super X
Maybe because they were hoping to be pleasantly surprised?
Nah, If I don't think I'm going to like a movie there is no way in hell I'm watching it at the theater.
Old 11-18-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

So for the most part, this movie had a nearly identical plot to the Avengers... "A demi god runs around Earth looking for geometrically shaped cosmic widgets and Earth's mightiest superheroes team together to try and stop him while constantly exchanging banter with each other."
Old 11-18-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see all the comic book movies in the theater regardless of reviews. I grew up a comic book fan and it has been fun taking my kid to all these comic books movies over the last 10 years (he is 13 now).

I go in hoping to like everyone of them. Sometimes I like them despite the poor reviews (Green Lantern, Suicide Squad), sometimes I love them despite the reviews (Superman Returns, Incredible Hulk) and then sometimes I hate them despite the reviews (Man Of Steel, Batman V Superman).

So what I am saying is I go see them hoping to enjoy all of them. Sometimes I want to slit my wrists in the theater (Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance) and sometimes I come out loving something unexpected (all three Thor movies).

I don't let reviews decide what I see in the theater. If I have an interest in the subject matter, I decide for myself whether I like something or not after seeing it. Novel, huh?
Old 11-18-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm the same way. If it's based on a comic, I go see it. Some properties I like more than others but I still go.
Old 11-18-17, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I wish I was kidding. Liefeld can't draw worth shit. Snyder can actually direct. Whether you like his films or not is something else. We can go through his filmography and Snyder is more than competent. Now if you just don't like the guy then that's also something else. Script is always the first thing and if the WB suits were breathing down peoples necks, which they were, then that's who I fucking blame.
Snyder cannot tell a story. Period.
Old 11-18-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Snyder cannot tell a story. Period.

Sure he can -- he just needs a good one to tell. You think 300 wasn't a good story? Shit, it didn't make all that money otherwise.

I give Snyder the benefit of the doubt. Watchmen: Ultimate Cut is his best film, though.
Old 11-18-17, 11:49 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Unfortunately they can't do Trinity because BvS is where they all first meet. I bet they regret everything about BvS. The only thing that can save them is Flashpoint, where they can reboot everything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.