Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rian Johnson to Create New "Star Wars" Universe Trilogy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rian Johnson to Create New "Star Wars" Universe Trilogy

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 12:52 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: Rian Johnson to Create New "Star Wars" Universe Trilogy

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, pretty much every long-time SW fan I know (people in their 40s) liked or loved Last Jedi.
Don't for one second take it as gospel that people think it "sucked".
Everyone I know that saw it didn't like it.

But let's not let this thread go down the path of TLJ one.
Old 08-19-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Yeah, pretty much every long-time SW fan I know (people in their 40s) liked or loved Last Jedi.
I liked it. It was flawed, but still an entertaining movie and not nearly the trainwreck that a lot of people claim it is.
Old 08-19-18, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

And taking his other movies into account, Johnson has a much better track record for good movies than the other directors bandied about, especially JJ.
Old 08-19-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me if Johnson doesn't come back.

I'm sure Disney will still pump out a Star Wars movie for 2020. Probably Episode IX Part 2.
Old 08-19-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My experience is the exact opposite. I don't personally know a single long term SW fan who thought TLJ was good.
Old 08-19-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

They were never going to cop to any disturbances in the franchise strategy until Solo had come and gone.
In the months ahead you'll see the way LFL really thinks of the job Rian did with TLJ and how willing they are to produce more product from him.
Old 08-19-18, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
My experience is the exact opposite. I don't personally know a single long term SW fan who thought TLJ was good.
I don't know a single person that grew up with the Original Trilogy that truly enjoyed Last Jedi. I think most can agree that The Last Jedi was a huge let-down after The Force Awakens.

It's not just a vocal minority, there are a lot of signs at the margins that fans more or less rejected the movie's direction. It made all of its money upfront before word-of-mouth got out.
Old 08-19-18, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's too bad there was never a thread for the Last Jedi so you all could pointless argue about it there.
Old 08-19-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimaton
It's too bad there was never a thread for the Last Jedi so you all could pointless argue about it there.
The shittyness of The Last Jedi can't be contained to one thread.
Old 08-19-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
While I didn’t hate The Last Jedi I do think it’s a bit odd that Disney would be gung ho about letting Johnson do his own trilogy when his film is one of the most divisive big movies and a film so many Star Wars fans in general didn’t particularly like to put it nicely.
I loved LOVED LOVED The Last Jedi, and even I'm surprised they gave him this new series.
Old 08-19-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Considering that Disney fired James Gunn on the spot for old public tweets, I don't really see Kennedy helming Lucasfilm much longer. She plays musical chairs with directors, Solo flopped, toys aren't selling (though that's likely as much on Hasbro and Disney merchandising policies than Lucasfilm), and the fandom is divided and at each others' throats. Even if you loved TLJ, you have to admit that Lucasfilm is a fucking mess.

And if Kennedy is shown the door, I am almost certain that Johnson will follow her out, either voluntarily or involuntarily.
Old 08-19-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Considering that Disney fired James Gunn on the spot for old public tweets, I don't really see Kennedy helming Lucasfilm much longer...
Those don't seem like even remotely related things. Are there some old tweets from Kathleen Kennedy that they should be worried about?

Marvel has fired directors before (Patty Jenkins from Thor 2, Edgar Wright from Ant Man) and has had some underperforming films, and nobody's thinking Kevin Feige's about to be fired. I mean, Ant Man and the Wasp has grossed less than Solo.
Old 08-19-18, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Last Jedi had pretty high marks among critics, that's why I think people perceptions are more anecdotal than not.
Old 08-19-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last Jedi had pretty high marks among critics, that's why I think people perceptions are more anecdotal than not.
It also got an "A" Cinemascore, taken by polling people as they left the theater. This surverymonkey poll found that 89% of people who saw the film either liked or loved it.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/curiosi...r-wars-future/

And it performed as well as the pre-release box office predictions.
Old 08-19-18, 09:20 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

yet every single person I know who has seen it thought it was average to terrible.
Old 08-19-18, 09:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Yeah, while I didn’t like it much personally, the naysayers here are way over exaggerating the hate for part 8. The average Star Wars fan loved it and doesn’t even think about directors and all the crap being discussed in this thread.
Old 08-19-18, 10:10 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I love The Last Jedi. I hope we can still be friends.
Old 08-19-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, while I didn’t like it much personally, the naysayers here are way over exaggerating the hate for part 8. The average Star Wars fan loved it and doesn’t even think about directors and all the crap being discussed in this thread.
Says you. My friends who are average Star War fans, super Star Wars fans, and friends who are only casual Star War fans thought TLJ was very weak. And I have a shitload of average, above average, and causal fans of Star Wars. Add those into the equation.
Old 08-19-18, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM
yet every single person I know who has seen it thought it was average to terrible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence
Old 08-19-18, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if RJ's trilogy is shelved. Maybe they put it on the backburner and 10yrs from now he can come back and do it if the idea's he has for it are good...or perhaps it turns into another streaming series.

Lucasfilm has more than enough to work on, even after trimming it's releases. Ep9 and the streaming series should be audience/fan pleasing. I suspect the likely Old Republic films (from the GoT show runners) will be up next after that...along with the Obi Wan film. Eventually returning to Ep10-12 down the road. Not to mention the animated shows, additional streaming series, etc.
Old 08-19-18, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s funny how people are able to post anecdotal reports of people loving the movie without ever being questioned. But every instance of someone reporting that they don’t have anyone in their circle who loved (or even really liked) the movie are immediately dismissed as irrelevant.

Here is what I can say with absolute certainty. I’ve been there on opening night (usually the “midnight” or earlier preview showings) for every single Star Wars movie until now, including Solo. I have also purchased the VHS/DVD/Blu-ray of every movie as soon as it was available.

I will NOT being seeing Episode IX on opening night. I still don’t know if I will see it at all. And I still don’t own a copy of TLJ on any format, and I don’t know if I ever will.

Now, I know many of you will say “big deal”, or “I don’t think Disney will miss you at all”. But if you really think I am the only person who feels this way, you are very, very wrong.

Last edited by RoboDad; 08-19-18 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-19-18, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Here's the basic question LFL asked itself post TLJ's run- did TLJ bring enough new SW fans into the fold to more than replace the old SW fans who were aggressively turned off by it?

The middling BO returns on Solo should give people a clue as to what the answer was.

IMO, it's just not a question of whether Johnson's new trilogy is going to be scuttled. The only thing up in the air is when we will get confirmation it has been.
Old 08-20-18, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
It’s funny how people are able to post anecdotal reports of people loving the movie without ever being questioned. But every instance of someone reporting that they don’t have anyone in their circle who loved (or even really liked) the movie are immediately dismissed as irrelevant.

Here is what I can say with absolute certainty. I’ve been there on opening night (usually the “midnight” or earlier preview showings) for every single Star Wars movie until now, including Solo. I have also purchased the VHS/DVD/Blu-ray of every movie as soon as it was available.

I will NOT being seeing Episode IX on opening night. I still don’t know if I will see it at all. And I still don’t own a copy of TLJ on any format, and I don’t know if I ever will.

Now, I know many of you will say “big deal”, or “I don’t think Disney will miss you at all”. But if you really think I am the only person who feels this way, you are very, very wrong.
Oh, this is me almost exactly. Only difference is I never see movies on opening night (I hate crowded theaters, and want an empty seat on each side of me) but I did eventually catch Solo (on its last IMAX showing in my city), and I liked it, about as much as Rogue One.

But I refuse to buy TLJ on blu-ray and plan on sitting out IX. I will read spoilers, and if it sounds like JJ is able to undo the damage Johnson did, I might go. But I'm not optimistic that Abrams can fix it, or that Kennedy would even let him.

Johnson royally fucked the sequel trilogy, and both Abrams and Johnson made a mess out of the post-ROTJ continuity. A more capable writer/director could have saved the sequel trilogy, but Johnson ran with Abrams' weakest stuff (the annihilation of the New Republic, the rise of the First Order) and buried the most interesting stuff (the mystery of Luke leaving, the lightsaber, Rey's backstory, Snoke's backstory).
Old 08-20-18, 05:23 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

If you want to go through this all again, please take it to TLJ thread.
Old 08-20-18, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Here's the basic question LFL asked itself post TLJ's run- did TLJ bring enough new SW fans into the fold to more than replace the old SW fans who were aggressively turned off by it?

The middling BO returns on Solo should give people a clue as to what the answer was.

IMO, it's just not a question of whether Johnson's new trilogy is going to be scuttled. The only thing up in the air is when we will get confirmation it has been.
Yeah, I believe Johnson has already been told his trilogy is dead in the water. Disney just doesn't want it announced before Episode IX because that would confirm some of the criticisms about TLJ and possibly hurt IX's box office.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.