Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Report: Disney to purchase part of 21st Century FOX

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Report: Disney to purchase part of 21st Century FOX

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
re: Report: Disney to purchase part of 21st Century FOX

This would be a terrible move for entertainment in general. Disney is consolidating as many popular brands as they can get. They already have too much power and control in Hollywood (see Movies Anywhere as one example).

I wonder if Apple would be interested...
Old 11-07-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

I loved The Wolverine, final act problems and all. X-Men 3 sucked, but at least it had a narrative purpose. That movie had to get made (in as much as any movie has to get made). Apocalypse not only sucked, but it also had no reason to exist beyond Fox's obligation to keep making sequels. It's completely superfluous. That's the only thing that makes me wary of Fox continuing to hold the X-Men rights. I love what they've done, for the most part, but I'm not sure where it goes from here. DoFP is the first X-Men movie in a long time I'm not really looking forward to. I can't say I'm all that jazzed about New Mutants either, but at least it's something different. While I can understand the appeal of Marvel doing their own version of the X-Men, I think the potential downsides of a Disney/Fox acquisition far outweigh any positives.
Old 11-07-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
If putting out the OOT was something that Disney wanted to do, I don't believe that cutting a deal with Fox for distribution would be the hangup. I've always maintained that if Disney wanted to restore the original films and cut Fox in on the deal so that they could put it out, that deal would be done over the weekend.

So whether I believe that is ever going to happen or not is irrelevant to the nature of this deal. Disney isn't going to buy an entire studio just so they can restore Star Wars.
Of course not, and as you said they could have put out the Star Wars we all want to enjoy on home video long before now but let us not pretend that this news of Disney possibly purchasing Fox Entertainment did not contribute to the hope that we are this much closer to getting our wishes.

Also, that issue with Disney and the L.A. Times I mentioned a post or two earlier...that was quick, as it has been resolved and the papers critics have access again to any and all Disney film screenings. A case where applying pressure on a corporation that projects a family friendly image worked because they were looking like bullies which dinged their brand image.
Old 11-07-17, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

While I'd love to see Fox or Disney release the OOT, it's probably a longshot either way.

Disney has, so far, shown little interest in any kind of directors' cuts or extended cuts of its SW and MCU films. And, with Disney owning Lucasfilm, they would probably have veto power over Fox releasing it on its own.

If the deal does happen, I would prefer to keep the X-Men Universe and MCU separate. The X-Men are an entity with an insane amount of history, time travel, and dozens of characters with complex interpersonal relationships that they pretty much need to be in their own universe or they'll overwhelm the MCU. The FF (and Silver Surfer and Dr. Doom), however, would fit very comfortably in the MCU.

I'm not really a fan of how Fox has handled the X-Men franchise. As a cinematic universe, it's all over the place, to the point where the seventh movie did a time travel story that did an in-continuity reboot.
Old 11-07-17, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

The X-men also work better separated from the rest of the MCU because it makes absolutely no sense for a world to hate people born with powers and embrace aliens and androids and druggees and gamma irradiated monsters. For the whole "they protect the world that hates them" with all the parallels to bigotry, it really needs to be separate. It's a similar thing with Spider-man, except they don't have the J Jonah Jameson hatefest in this incarnation.

Plus the tv stuff is good.

I really really want the Fantastic Four back in the MCU fold though. Partly because it's being driven into the ground, but partly for the related characters... Doom and Galactus alone would be huge.
Old 11-07-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if Disney will ever do a female MCU superhero movie. Kevin Feige talks about a Black Widow and female Thor/Jane Foster movies but neither are likely to happen.
Old 11-07-17, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I wonder if Disney will ever do a female MCU superhero movie. Kevin Feige talks about a Black Widow and female Thor/Jane Foster movies but neither are likely to happen.
Captain Marvel says hello.
Old 11-09-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disney would ruin Deadpool.
Old 11-10-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

CNBC, which broke the original story, is claiming the possibility of a deal between Disney and 20th Century Fox is still alive. While they claim their sources have stated talks haven’t been ongoing, they also claim that “it does appear at the very least that they have not abandoned the idea of that combination.”
Old 11-10-17, 06:25 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

This all sounds familiar ala the Sony/Disney/Marvel discussions.
Old 11-10-17, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If not an entire deal, I can see Disney buying atleast Marvel and Star Wars distribution rights from them
Old 12-05-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like the deal is getting closer to being done.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/disn...--sources.html

Disney and Twenty-First Century Fox are closing in on a deal, and it could come as soon as next week, according to sources familiar with the matter.

CNBC has been reporting that Disney has held talks with the Rupert Murdoch-controlled media company to acquire its studio and television production assets, leaving Fox with its news and sports assets. Fox is also talking with CNBC parent company Comcast, but the talks with Disney have progressed more significantly.

The deal contemplates the sale of Fox's Nat Geo, Star, regional sports networks, movie studios and stakes in Sky and Hulu, among other properties. What would remain at Fox includes its news and business news divisions, broadcast network and Fox sports.
Old 12-05-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Was asked before, but have to wonder what will happened to R-rated Deadpool 2.
Old 12-05-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

It's in post production with a release date in June. It will come out.

After that though, who knows?
Old 12-05-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They are using Comcast to leverage a better deal. It does look like this is going to happen.

Just imagine: Doom showing up in the after credits scene of Avengers 3 or 4 ....
Old 12-05-17, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Is there time to shoehorn a Hugh Jackman as Wolverine cameo into Avengers 4?
Old 12-05-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not good. I don't want Disney in charge of Alien, Predator, The Simpsons, Family Guy and all the other franchises. Its also not good having every major studio all be part of a major business entity.
Old 12-05-17, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Regarding Deadpool, it’s not like Disney has never released an R rated film. They just have done so under different studios that they own. I think they’re smart enough to come up with something. They’ll probably do a more R rated version of Marvel Studios for some characters and the timing could work out with the current incarnation of the MCU drawing to a close.
Old 12-05-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Was asked before, but have to wonder what will happened to R-rated Deadpool 2.
My guess is Disney will just rerelease R rated films under the Fox banner. not the worst of ideas. Keeping the brand alive is a smart choice.

On the flip of the positive Marvel news, a lot of people wonders what Disney will do with the Simpson. The Simpsons also predicted Disney would buy Fox in an earlier episode.
Old 12-05-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
Not good. I don't want Disney in charge of Alien, Predator, The Simpsons, Family Guy and all the other franchises. Its also not good having every major studio all be part of a major business entity.
Interesting enough, Fox pretty much sank all of those franchises already anyway.
Old 12-05-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
On the flip of the positive Marvel news, a lot of people wonders what Disney will do with the Simpson. The Simpsons also predicted Disney would buy Fox in an earlier episode.
It’s a bit of a strange coincidence the things the show has accurately predicted. They also had an episode set in the future with Trump as President.
Old 12-05-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Hmmmm.... I guess I better grab any X-Men Blu Rays I want now before they jack the price up to $20+ and keep them there like the Marvel Paramount ones, Thor in particular which I refuse to buy at that price.
Old 12-05-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Not sure why people are wondering why Disney would mess with a proven money-maker.
Old 12-05-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Not sure why people are wondering why Disney would mess with a proven money-maker.
The Simpsons?

A Fox/Disney Deal Could Finally Cancel The Simpsons

The ratings are at an all time low I believe and the show is actually expensive to produce due to the voice actor salaries.

Also, Disney cancelled Clone Wars simply to move the SW brand from CN to their XD channel, despite CW having pretty huge merchandising sales numbers with younger kids.

The real value in the Simpsons is almost 30 seasons of episodes being available on Disney's streaming service when it starts, as well as inevitable inclusion into Disney world.
Old 12-05-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly cancelling The Simpsons would upset me the most. I know I’m in the minority but I still enjoy it. Although I will admit that it’s been on long enough and it probably should end at some point soon anyways.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.