Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-26-17, 08:22 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (2018) -- Animated Movie

Apparently Teen Titans Go! will be animated movie released to theaters on July 27, 2018.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...ation62018.htm
Old 09-26-17, 09:33 PM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (2018) -- Animated Movie

I started to watch this show when I was watching my nephew over the summer, I know its kind of dumbed down for kids, but I would probably go watch it. I think it has some funny moments, I was amazed by how much hate it gets online.
Old 10-09-17, 02:53 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-09-17, 03:00 PM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My daughter loves this, and it’s one of the few shows we both like. I’ll happily go see this with her.

Winner! James Bond 007 Sheep game 8/26/16
Old 10-09-17, 03:20 PM   #5
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

so its a movie based on the show. I'll watch it, the few episode i seen here and there have actually been pretty fun

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 10-09-17, 05:33 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

The main problem I have with the show is that pretty much all the characters are mean spirited for the sake of humor, so it's not really something I'll let my kids watch without me. But it is funny and some of the episodes are inspired, so the movie should be decent.
Old 01-10-18, 02:30 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So this trailer was released today, and somehow this escaped my attention before now. It will also run in front of Paddington 2 this weekend.

I know the show isn't to everyone's tastes (particularly people who loved the previous cartoon adaptation), but when it's on, it can be extremely funny.

Basing the whole first trailer around
Spoiler:
A fart joke
isn't going to win it any favors from the haters though.

-----
PSN: CactusKind

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 01-10-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 03:29 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno. I liked both animated versions. Looks like fun!
Old 01-10-18, 03:36 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I started to watch this show when I was watching my nephew over the summer, I know its kind of dumbed down for kids, but I would probably go watch it. I think it has some funny moments, I was amazed by how much hate it gets online.
It gets hate because the original Teen Titans cartoon with the same voice cast was a beloved show taken far more seriously, made closer in tone to the animated Bruce Timm DC cartoons.

This new version isn't unwatchable but it's a pure comedic farce only loosely concerned with the Teen Titans as actual characters. It's perfect for the kids of today, however.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 01-10-18, 03:45 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Iíve seen a few random episodes of the show and itís okay for a kids show (though it is pretty dumbed down and lowest common denominator humor). I wouldnít bother seeing this in theaters but Iíd maybe put it on as background noise when it hits one of the premium channels or something.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-10-18 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 03:58 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

What's weird is that there doesn't seem like there'd be much they could do in a movie that they couldn't in their TV show, it's not like the animation needs to up its budget or anything. Of course I thought the same for the Simpsons movie and that did well, I think (though that property is also much, much bigger).

Now if they did a Teen Titans non Go movie, that would be amazing.
Old 01-10-18, 03:59 PM   #12
Mostly Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The main problem I have with the show is that pretty much all the characters are mean spirited for the sake of humor,
Before I had seen the show, it was described to me by a friend as "pretend that the Teen Titans were just a bunch of jerks". My daughter LOVES the show, so I'm sure she'll want to go see the movie. When I first saw my daughter watching the show, I started naming all of the characters and she was amazed that I knew who everyone was. I had to explain to her that I was reading Teen Titans comics back when I was a teen myself (but it was all serious, which was hard for her to wrap her head around because she only knew the characters from this cartoon).
Old 01-10-18, 04:21 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Before I had seen the show, it was described to me by a friend as "pretend that the Teen Titans were just a bunch of jerks". My daughter LOVES the show, so I'm sure she'll want to go see the movie. When I first saw my daughter watching the show, I started naming all of the characters and she was amazed that I knew who everyone was. I had to explain to her that I was reading Teen Titans comics back when I was a teen myself (but it was all serious, which was hard for her to wrap her head around because she only knew the characters from this cartoon).
My kids love the show, although as I said before I won't let them watch it without me just so I can make sure they know it's not ok to act that way. Only after did I track down the DVDs of the original show to show them, and while they also love that show, it is a huge shift.
Old 01-10-18, 06:00 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The extent of my daughter's comic book knowledge comes from going to comic book movies with me and watching Teen Titans GO!

At the end of Justice League though when Deathstroke appeared, she said "It's Slade!" She recognized him from Teen Titans GO!

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 01-10-18, 06:57 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hero

The thing is that the original is still really kid friendly. And while it's got jokey moments (mainly because of Beast Boy) it did use a lot of the Perez/Wolfman storylines and not until the whole thing with Terra/Tara did it feel a lot more adult and darker (again, because of Beast Boy). But it still had those jokey overblown anime moments, To say it was closer to BTAS or STAS? Nah.. really?

Teen Titans Go definitely follows that style, but goes over the top with it. Not much of the animation look changed, just more exaggerated in style towards something like Powerpuff Girls. At least that's what I think.

Old 01-10-18, 07:09 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

The original Teen Titans definitely had detractors back then as well, mainly for the anime-like SD jokes that at times dominated the show. TTGo is basically all the anime-like SD jokes without the seriousness, except everyone is mean spirited (especially Robin) and the continuity basically reboots every episode. It's hilarious, though, mainly because these guys are terrible heroes.

I also think some of the Teen Titans Go backlash is because it was basically the only survivor of the whole DC Nation block on CN, and CN's seeming hatred of action cartoons that don't involve Jedi (Young Justice, Beware the Batman, Justice League Action, etc.) That block had some great shorts (I'd still love if they put out Lauren Faust's Super Best Friends Forever on some official release, somewhere) , and I thought the weakest ones were the New Teen Titans ones that became Teen Titans Go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Nation_Shorts
Old 01-10-18, 07:41 PM   #17
DVD Talk Hero

I do miss when Kids!WB had solid blocks of 'toons and hated when they would switch things up after 2 or 3 seasons.

Last edited by devilshalo; 01-10-18 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 08:13 PM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From what I have read the hatred also comes from Cartoon Network's endless reruns and not caring about developing any other cartoons. I'll definately go watch the movie with my nephew.
Old 03-13-18, 09:47 AM   #19
DVD Talk Hero

Welp Nic Cage gets to finally play Superman, as he's voicing the iconic character in Teen Titans Go the Movie. Also singer Halsey is voicing Wonder Woman and rapper Lil Yachty is voicing Green Lantern

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...-go/415282002/
Old 05-02-18, 12:02 PM   #20
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The full trailer is out, it looks like fun.
Old 05-02-18, 12:23 PM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

Nice, that does look fun. Time for Robin to shine!
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 05-02-18, 12:44 PM   #22
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why is he always Slade in these shows instead of Deathstroke?

Read Poop Office at http://nakedgrapecomics.com
Old 05-02-18, 01:02 PM   #23
DVD Talk Hero

Surprised at the Marvel references... and the joke about GL. And is Nic Cage the voice for Supes?

I dunno about Kid Flash and Aqualad laughing since they were TT's at one point. Loved that Zan and Jayna are in the theater crowd.

Last edited by devilshalo; 05-02-18 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-02-18, 01:27 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

That actually looks pretty fun. I liked the jab at Green Lantern and the Deadpool jokes. Still not sure itíll be something Iíll go to the theater for but Iíll watch it at some point.
Old 05-03-18, 08:39 AM   #25
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
Why is he always Slade in these shows instead of Deathstroke?
His real name has always been Slade Wilson but when he was introduced in 1980 on the very first page of TNTT#2 It was Deathstroke the Terminator. I've noticed that they kept changing up his name even prior to this in the comics.

Last edited by mrhan; 05-03-18 at 08:45 AM.