Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Vaughn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Vaughn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
4.76%
23.81%
33.33%
23.81%
4.76%
9.52%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Vaughn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Vaughn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I haven't seen this yet, but in the previews it looks like they were ripping off Wonder Woman's golden lasso, except this one glows blue. Why would they do that? Is it really that obvious of a rip off in the movie?
No.
Old 09-30-17, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Vaughn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Yeah, not a Wonder Woman ripoff at all. Besides, they're cowboys. They use lassos.
Old 10-06-17, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Took some time today and caught a matinee. Quite a few people in an early afternoon show considering this has been out a few weeks!

As usual, I'll try not to echo the things that have been said already ... robin2099 captured most of my initial reactions. Here are some random thoughts:

Seems as if the editing was rather choppy. Not the cutting within scenes, but the story editing. There is plenty on the cutting room floor (the /Filmcast podcast referenced a 3 hour and 40 minute original cut) and you can tell.

I didn't dislike any of the characters, but I really disliked they way virtually every character was handled -- either in killing characters off or by including them in the first place.

I am eagerly looking forward to a part 3, but please do NOT give us more of the Statesmen unless you are going to put some work into developing them and making them actually matter.

How in the hell was the two-Galahad conundrum NOT settled by making Harry the new Arthur?

The Statesmen names were lame and very uninspired.

I actually liked the President's sub-plot. I can see a politician doing something like that.

Was that Henry Rollins? WTF? Another wasted actor in this film.

I was the only person in the theater who laughed at the backstage pass callback.
Old 10-06-17, 09:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Not Henry Rollins, but I thought the same thing initially:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0036553/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t34
Old 10-07-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting. I guess when I go see Blade Runner I won't have to think "Damn, Henry Rollins is in this too!" Thanks Groucho!
Old 10-07-17, 12:41 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

I thought it was Rollins.
Old 10-09-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I watched this today and I liked it. I thought it was fun, with over-the-top action, but I have problems with it. It was too long and I hated that they killed off Merlin and Roxy. There are only three people left from the first move Eggsy, Harry, and Tilde. I also thought they could have completely written Tilde out of this. I thought she looked way too old to be marrying Eggsy (there is an eight year difference in age according to IMDB). I hope they can fix some of the problems with this one for the sequel and hopefully bring back Roxy.
Old 10-22-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Saw it today and loved it.

The fight scenes are amazing and my favorite things in these movies.

Elton John was a riot.

The Cowboy who was channeling Burt Reynolds circa 1978 was great.

Wish they could have kept him around for the next one.

Moore was great as the bad gal.
She looked like she had a blast.

Didn’t feel long and it was what I expected a total blast of a movie to go see at the movies.
Old 11-29-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Saw this last night and thought it was a great. No, I did not like that they killed off a couple players from the first film. That was lame, but the energy and action of this one made up for it. I did not know Cara Delevigne had an older sister. She's a bit of alright.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 11-29-17 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-29-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since this popped back up ... that WAS Rollins on Z Nation earlier this season!
Old 11-29-17, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Saw this last night and thought it was a great. No, I did not like that they killed off a couple players from the first film. That was lame, but the energy and action of this one made up for it. I did not know Cara Delevigne.
That's Poppy, Cara's older sister.
Old 11-29-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
That's Poppy, Cara's older sister.

Ha, yeah, I meant to say that, but my text got cut off. I'll re-edit that.
Old 12-10-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I loved the original but didn't care much for this one. The CGI is really terrible. The action is cartoonish. I don't know why every single fight scene needed to look the way it did. It was way too long and I found myself bored.

Edit... completely agree with Stuckmann's review:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/le3g7yvHY2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Sigh. Finally saw this tonight and I'm so sad to say I agree with everything you said. I absolutely loved the first one, but I didn't like this at all. Terrible CGI and the action was just way way too over the top. I didn't even like the story. Such a shame.
Old 12-11-17, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Great first movie, piss poor sequel.
Old 12-20-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Just watched his. Meh. The villain was terrible, I didn't care about Eggs romantic subplot. The best part of the movie was the unexpected (to me) extended cameo of Elton John. He was hilarious. I thought some of the fight scenes were very well done. Outside of that, it was definitely a let down compared to the 1st one.
Old 12-20-17, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Great first movie, piss poor sequel.
This. Watched it a few days ago and it was terrible. After an hour, I kept looking at the time hoping it would end...
Old 01-07-18, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Finally caught this last night. I thought it was over-the-top but fun, which is about what I was expecting. I’ll agree with other comments that it was good but not quite as good as the first.

On a scale of 1-10 for being over-the-top, the first was probably about an 8. The Golden Circle takes it to 11. However after the overly zany opening sequence I thought the movie settles down quite a bit which was nice.

Julianne Moore looked like she was having fun but ultimately her character just didn’t do much for me Last the “interview” scene near the beginning. I know I’m not supposed to question villain’s lairs in these types of movies but I just couldn’t get over the logistics of her 1950s town in the middle of the jungle. I also would have preferred he robot dogs to be a little less high tech than they were. They were just too unbelievable as they were. Small gripe.

I’m looking forward to part 3, if they make one.

Did anyone else notice the Jeff Bridges’ character refused to drink alcohol? In one scene he took a sip and then spit it out, in anothe the sticks his finger in the bottle and smells it, and during the toast at the end he has a glass in front of him but never drinks. I couldn’t tell if he was playing his character as a recovering alcoholic or just a whiskey tycoon who didn’t drink whiskey.
Old 04-17-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Just watched this on a plane and thought it was decent. Some good action sequences, Elton was funny if a bit overused, and I liked the image of the quarantined citizens. As it turns out, I also had the Netflix disc waiting for me after vacation so I watched the bonus features, which were nearly two hours. It's been a while since I did that.