Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
9.59%
10.96%
56.16%
10.96%
6.85%
2.74%
0%
1.37%
1.37%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

It is, you gotta use Google for it.

site:forum.dvdtalk.com it
Old 01-30-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Also, there is a background scene I don't if most caught (well, It's not that hard to see at all but somewhat un-noticeable) but it was the creepiest scene for me - it was when new kids on the block was in the library and the lady that was talking to him goes back to where she came from - while he's going through the articles, she's just standing in the background, somewhat blurred with a grin on her face - that just creeped me the F out big time.
You've finally been vindicated! CinemaSins removed a sin from their "Everything Wrong With It" video for this very moment in the movie (around the 4:10 mark):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gDnLkeknnW0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-31-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Period flavour was fair, but could have been better with some contemporary music selections. There were no obvious anachronisms, except for the kids riding around on bikes from the '50s rather than dirt bikes or mountain bikes.
I noticed the bikes, too. There's no way a kid in the '80s would've been caught dead on one of the clunkers those kids were riding. Had nobody on the production crew ever watched "Rad"?
Old 01-31-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

I found it (It) awful. Hokey and maudlin in the worst Spielbergian sense, far too long, and just boring. It's a horror film for kids, yet with lots of profanity spoken by the child actors and a modicum of gore, but no good scares. Period flavour was fair, but could have been better with some contemporary music selections. There were no obvious anachronisms, except for the kids riding around on bikes from the '50s rather than dirt bikes or mountain bikes.
The clown was well-acted and had impressive makeup effects, but I just don't find the character frightening or interesting. The best actor of the kids was the fat kid, I thought. The other kids ranged from OK to poor during "emotional" scenes. I'm clearly in the minority, but this ersatz horror flick was just not for me.
This comment actually made me revisit the flick - Your "It's a horror film for kids" line is what struck me.

I actually started thinking about the film through those terms but thankfully, I don't see it that way. What I did notice is that the gore and creepiness should have been much more sinister - some of it was though as well (the basement scene, waving arm scene, and a few others).

But kudos to your comment for sparking me to re-watch it and for feeling that is should have been a tad more sinister.
Old 01-31-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
You've finally been vindicated! CinemaSins removed a sin from their "Everything Wrong With It" video for this very moment in the movie (around the 4:10 mark):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gDnLkeknnW0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
lol I mad them remove it or they just caught in general? I'm sure i'm not the only one on this forum that caught that

EDIT: just switched between my work network to home network (as my job doesn't allow me to watch youtube videos) and watched the video - you were just saying in general - gotcha
Old 01-31-18, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EDIT: just switched between my work network to home network (as my job doesn't allow me to watch youtube videos) and watched the video - you were just saying in general - gotcha
Yeah, I thought it was awesome that they caught that subtle moment and praised it, just like you did weeks ago. It was one of my favorite moments in the entire movie, and it's so subtle.
Old 01-31-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

This comment actually made me revisit the flick - Your "It's a horror film for kids" line is what struck me.

I actually started thinking about the film through those terms but thankfully, I don't see it that way. What I did notice is that the gore and creepiness should have been much more sinister - some of it was though as well (the basement scene, waving arm scene, and a few others).

But kudos to your comment for sparking me to re-watch it and for feeling that is should have been a tad more sinister.
Thankee. I didn't intend to change anyone's mind, but simply express what I felt. I will never watch It again. Too many films to watch, too little time to waste. But I totally respect the opinion of those who did find It effective.
I agree that inherent "sinisterness" is what is lacking. Even though no punches were really pulled and kids were being killed, as in the rather graphic opening scene, the scares are not plausible, and the film just somehow seemed geared to childish or credulous sensibilities, or to people who are scared of clowns to begin with. It is like Stand by Me (which I like) incongruously rehashed as a horror film.
Old 02-01-18, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thankee. I didn't intend to change anyone's mind, but simply express what I felt. I will never watch It again. Too many films to watch, too little time to waste. But I totally respect the opinion of those who did find It effective.
I agree that inherent "sinisterness" is what is lacking. Even though no punches were really pulled and kids were being killed, as in the rather graphic opening scene, the scares are not plausible, and the film just somehow seemed geared to childish or credulous sensibilities, or to people who are scared of clowns to begin with. It is like Stand by Me (which I like) incongruously rehashed as a horror film.
I hear ya - I'm going to read the book in full before the second movie comes out.

Off topic, I wonder how many people think the movie the shining is better than the book - the movie, while epic on Stanley Kubrick levels, comes NOWHERE near how effective the book is and it's sad as they really could have adapted more of the material.
Old 02-01-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

^I haven't read The Shining, but the film I adore.
Old 02-05-18, 05:37 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on getting it.
Old 02-15-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched this a second time, and in my opinion the movie does not hold up well for repeated viewings.

Any tension you have on an initial viewing is completely gone the second time through, as it becomes laughably repetitive each time the kids easily escape Pennywise by just, you know, closing the door on him.

Richie, who I found annoying the first time through, was almost unbearable the second time. His quips are delivered too fast, spoken too fast (he's often hard to understand), and really aren't all that funny.

The other kid actors are decent to good (save Eddie, whose delivery is consistently too dramatic), and there's no denying Bill Skarsgard nailed the Pennywise role. I just wish he'd been given more scenes like the one with Georgie at the beginning, where he was more subtly menacing. The way one of his eyes trails off to the side while they're talking is wonderfully creepy. And the lurking librarian is still a nice touch.

It's too long, gives zero explanation as to Pennywise's behavior -- some kids go free, some are killed, some need to be lured to him, sometimes he goes to them (Beverly) -- and the ending absolutely sucks.

I gave the movie a B first time through, but on second viewing it's a C. Honestly, Gerald's Game was the home run Stephen King movie in 2017.
Old 02-15-18, 05:49 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Most annoying is how the kids are repeatedly lured away from the group, even after they'd learned that their only safety against It was their unity as a group.

And you're right, without the book's ultimate explanation of what It is, the movie is basicly just a supernatural slasher film.
Old 02-18-18, 11:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m hoping the next film dives deep into the mythology behind It, which is far more interesting than the specific struggles of one particular group of kids. Now that the filmmakers have the audience on the hook by making the straightforward first part, they should go all in on the craziness of the novel in the second.
Old 02-18-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I just watched this a second time, and in my opinion the movie does not hold up well for repeated viewings.

Any tension you have on an initial viewing is completely gone the second time through, as it becomes laughably repetitive each time the kids easily escape Pennywise by just, you know, closing the door on him.

Richie, who I found annoying the first time through, was almost unbearable the second time. His quips are delivered too fast, spoken too fast (he's often hard to understand), and really aren't all that funny.

The other kid actors are decent to good (save Eddie, whose delivery is consistently too dramatic), and there's no denying Bill Skarsgard nailed the Pennywise role. I just wish he'd been given more scenes like the one with Georgie at the beginning, where he was more subtly menacing. The way one of his eyes trails off to the side while they're talking is wonderfully creepy. And the lurking librarian is still a nice touch.

It's too long, gives zero explanation as to Pennywise's behavior -- some kids go free, some are killed, some need to be lured to him, sometimes he goes to them (Beverly) -- and the ending absolutely sucks.
You know, I’m torn. I really enjoyed the movie and liked it on my first viewing. I liked the coming of age side of the story which reminded me a good deal of Stand By Me. That said, the points you make above definitely distract from the overall story.

I think ultimately whether this movie will hold up over time or fall apart on repeat viewings will depend on how well part 2 works. If the filmmakers play it safe for part 2 and don’t dive into Pennywise’s mythology a bit it could sink both films.

I’m also holding out hope that the incoming extended cut explores more of Pennywise behaviors.
Old 02-18-18, 02:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For me the biggest distraction was the frequently poor CGI.