Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Be Honest, do you enjoy watching foreign movies with subtitles?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you enjoy watching foreign films with subtitles?
Yes
69.14%
No - I avoid them
6.17%
Sometimes - Really depends if the movie really interests me
23.46%
No, If I watch a foreign movie, I will watch English dubs
1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Be Honest, do you enjoy watching foreign movies with subtitles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: Be Honest, do you enjoy watching foreign movies with subtitles?

I don't mind watching movies with subtitles unless I'm using the movie for background noise or something.

I do have an affinity for old B&W Samurai films, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Harakiri, etc. There's just something about those kinds of movies that are better with subtitles (and B&W!).

The one type of movie that I absolutely can't stand though is French New Wave movie goes from the 60s. It's not so mgood that the subtitles but I just find everything about them annoying and/or pretentious.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 08-09-17 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-08-17, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I did prefer watching animated films dubbed.....Until someone decided to have Liam Neeson provide the voice for a certain character in Ponyo---A character-voice that appeared to be much more suited for the likes of Johnny Galecki or Crispen Glover.
Old 08-08-17, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I much prefer watching a movie in its original language with subtitles rather than an English dubbed version.

You just can't beat those older Hong Kong movies and their witty subtitles:

"Don't trust those cunny."
A Better Tomorrow

"I know it, he is not an idiot, he is sexual detour."
Black Panther Warriors

"Show be a fat one tomorrow."
Peking Opera Blues
Old 08-08-17, 09:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

how can anyone who is a fan of film, not like foreign films with subs?? there are so so so many gems. some of my favorites of all-time are foreign...
Old 08-08-17, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Especially since it was the same voices used for all the dubs back then, so it really threw me for a loop to hear the actors real voices and they weren't anything I was used to.
Well, when it comes to HK films a lot of the original dubs weren't even the actors themselves even though it is the original soundtrack. A lot of their films were dubbed in Mandarin because it was considered more "higher class" than the "street language" Cantonese. It wasn't until the later 70's that all changed. I understand Cantonese but I did prefer listening to a movie in Mandarin and reading the subs.
Old 08-09-17, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It doesn't bother me at all. Occasionally, they do a terrible job with the contrast so they arevhard to read, but generally I don't really notice that I'm reading subtitles as I get drawn into the movie.
Old 08-09-17, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginwen
It doesn't bother me at all. Occasionally, they do a terrible job with the contrast so they arevhard to read, but generally I don't really notice that I'm reading subtitles as I get drawn into the movie.
That bugs the hell outta me. Get it right, folks.

I hate having to read subtitles (and they take your eyes off of the action), but dubs take away the inflection/emotion of the actors' performances. 8 1/2 is a great film, but it's just got so much damn dialogue I can hardly keep up sometimes - I need to learn Italian!

Ironically The Double Life of Veronique and Harakiri are in my all-time top ten.
Old 08-09-17, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
In the meanwhile, subs are the best way for me to enjoy foreign language movies. To the uninitiated, reading subs may seem like a hassle. But your eyes and brain get used to it and you don't even think about what you're doing and can just enjoy the movie.
My experience too.
Originally Posted by faust69
I've been watching movies with subs since I was 7 (Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast was my cherry popper) so I have no problem with subs at all.
We watched this in second year French class in high school. The costumes and designs reminded me of Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone's illustrations from children's books.

Old 08-09-17, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
dubs take away the inflection/emotion of the actors' performances.
That is why I prefer subtitles. Dubs sound like someone reading something from a piece of paper.
Old 08-09-17, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
how can anyone who is a fan of film, not like foreign films with subs?? there are so so so many gems. some of my favorites of all-time are foreign...
Agree with this!!!
Old 08-09-17, 09:03 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Yup.
Shit, sometimes I watch English-spoken films with subtitles on. It's how I roll.
Old 08-09-17, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dan
Yup.
Shit, sometimes I watch English-spoken films with subtitles on. It's how I roll.
I do to, just in case someone speaks at a low volume or Hans Zimmer drowns out their voice.
Old 08-09-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I wouldn't think anyone "enjoys" it. But if you enjoy foreign cinema than you just deal with it. I won't watch dubs. Martial arts films are the only ones I've seen dubbed and that's rough.
Agree 100%. I prefer watching movies in the native language. Only exception, sometimes, is anime especially if the English voice work is good.
Old 08-09-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginwen
I find the yellow subtitles are the best. I can't believe it when I see a movie that uses white subtitles that wash-out over brightly lit scenes.

I read fast, so subtitles aren't an issue. I think the Star Wars were a perfect gateway for getting me accustomed to the notion of subtitles in movies. I don't think I ever really thought about them; as far back as I can remember subtitles have just been part of the movie going experience.
Old 08-09-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

No, I don't enjoy watching movies that way but I have to put up with it. I picked "Sometimes" because the "no" options didn't really apply.
Old 08-09-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I do to, just in case someone speaks at a low volume or Hans Zimmer drowns out their voice.
I find myself turning on subtitles for films when I can't hear the person speaking or if there's something I don't quite catch. I normally don't watch entire films that way unless it's that way for the entire duration.
Old 08-09-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I find myself turning on subtitles for films when I can't hear the person speaking or if there's something I don't quite catch. I normally don't watch entire films that way unless it's that way for the entire duration.
I find myself doing that more often, which I'm pretty sure means my hearing is going as I'm getting older. Either that or they need to stop casting so many mush-mouth actors.
Old 08-09-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't say I enjoy it but I tolerate it and would rather do subtitles than dubs. Alas, I rarely watch foreign movies and maybe I'd watch more if I did enjoy reading the subtitles.
Old 08-09-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I find myself doing that more often, which I'm pretty sure means my hearing is going as I'm getting older. Either that or they need to stop casting so many mush-mouth actors.
For me it's because the dynamics of films has gotten so exaggerated. I try to keep the volume at a decent level and then an explosion or gunshot occurs at a ridiculously loud volume so I turn it down a bit. Then when it goes back to dialogue it sounds fine until someone whispers or mumbles and then I get annoyed that I have to rewind, so instead I just leave the subs for the entire English language film.
It also helps a lot with thick non-American English accents (British/Scottish/Irish/etc..) accents.
Old 08-09-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yea. I have to be in the mood though. Like anything else.

I find a lot of old films challenging too. Different times. Different pacing. But I'll still sit down and watch. And usually happy that I took the time. That's the thing with old movies ... if you're still watching them in 2017, then they really endured.

Was it Robert Altman that said something like, 'the lifespan of a movie is 10 years'?
Old 08-09-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

For me it seems like the audio mix on so many things just isn't the greatest. I find a lot of films it's hard to hear the dialogue but then if I have my volume turned up the minute there's an effect noise or music it blasts. That irritates the hell out of me.
Old 08-09-17, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86
For me it seems like the audio mix on so many things just isn't the greatest. I find a lot of films it's hard to hear the dialogue but then if I have my volume turned up the minute there's an effect noise or music it blasts. That irritates the hell out of me.
Same here
Old 08-09-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Agree 100%. I prefer watching movies in the native language. Only exception, sometimes, is anime especially if the English voice work is good.
Yep, anime is the only stuff I watch dubbed.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yes, although much of the TV I watch is just background noise, so I'll avoid my Criterions for that.
Sometimes I try to watch a subtitled movie while working and realize what a bad idea that is.
Old 08-09-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Yup.
And sometimes the subtitles could be a revelation. For instance, most people think Jim Caviezel is the main narrator in The Thin Red Line. But it's actually the minor Private who "Wants to own an automobile".
Old 08-09-17, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Well, when it comes to HK films a lot of the original dubs weren't even the actors themselves even though it is the original soundtrack. A lot of their films were dubbed in Mandarin because it was considered more "higher class" than the "street language" Cantonese. It wasn't until the later 70's that all changed. I understand Cantonese but I did prefer listening to a movie in Mandarin and reading the subs.
Many Italian movies (through at least the 80s ... I'm not really sure when the practice ended) technically don't have a "non dubbed" version. I notice it a lot with horror/giallo and spaghetti westerns. The cast might be international, and the standard practice was to have everyone speak their native language on set and just dub-over all the dialog in post-production. In those cases, at least where major characters are not Italian-speakers, I prefer the English-language "dub".

I find the yellow subtitles are the best. I can't believe it when I see a movie that uses white subtitles that wash-out over brightly lit scenes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.