Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jeanne Moreau dies at 89

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jeanne Moreau dies at 89

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 07:42 AM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts
Jeanne Moreau dies at 89

Jeanne Moreau, the actor best known for her performance in French New Wave classic Jules et Jim, has died aged 89 at her home in Paris, her agent has said.

A director, screenwriter and singer as well as a stage and screen actor, Moreau came to prominence with a series of roles in films considered part of the French New Wave, including Lift to the Scaffold and Jules et Jim. She also appeared in a number of Hollywood films, such as The Last Tycoon and Orson Welles’s adaptation of Franz Kafka’s The Trial.

In a statement on Twitter, the French president, Emmanuel Macron, paid tribute to Moreau, saying that the actor “embodied cinema” and was a free spirit who “always rebelled against the established order”.
Jeanne Moreau: 'Living is risking'
Read more

Moreau was born in Paris in 1928. Her father was a French restaurateur; her mother was a cabaret dancer from Oldham who moved to Paris in her 20s and later performed at the Folies Bergère. In a 2001 interview with the Guardian, Moreau credited her mother’s heritage with influencing her own somewhat detached personality. “People in France could see I was different from the usual actresses of that time. Maybe that’s why I attracted so many Anglo-Saxon directors like Orson Welles and Tony Richardson. In French, one says ‘Ma langue maternelle est le français [my mother tongue is French].’ But I say: ‘Ma langue maternelle est l’anglais.’ My feminine side is English,” she said.

Moreau began her acting career on stage, and became a leading figure in the Comédie-Française. In the 1950s she moved to film, and achieved national recognition with starring roles in two Louis Malle movies: the film noir Lift to the Scaffold and the drama Les Amants (The Lovers). The films proved controversial, with Les Amants becoming the subject of an obscenity case in the US supreme court, yet both are now considered landmark works. In 1960, Moreau best actress prize at Cannes for Seven Days… Seven Nights.

But it was Jules et Jim that made Moreau an international name. Directed by François Truffaut, the stylish 1962 film was set during the first world war and depicted a love triangle between Moreau’s character, Catherine, and the titular Jules (Oskar Werner) and Jim (Henri Serre). Jules et Jim has proved hugely influential, becoming synonymous with the French New Wave movement and regularly appearing on best-of lists.

Moreau almost appeared in another landmark 1960s role – Mrs Robinson in The Graduate, but turned down the part. Her career continued into her later years. In 1992, she won the César award for best actress for her performance in The Old Lady Who Walked in the Sea. She also directed two films of her own: Lumière (1976) and L’Adolescente (1979).

A notoriously difficult interviewee, Moreau responded with characteristic sharpness when asked if she ever felt nostalgic for the French New Wave. “Nostalgia for what? Nostalgia is when you want things to stay the same. I know so many people staying in the same place. And I think, my God, look at them! They’re dead before they die. That’s a terrible risk. Living is risking.”
https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...m-dies-aged-89
Old 07-31-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,562 Likes on 990 Posts
Re: Jeanne Moreau dies at 89

Beautiful, and always interesting to watch.
Old 07-31-17, 10:02 AM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

She was in so many amazing French films. Elevator to the Gallows is incredible. I remember being blown away the first time I saw it.

I saw Bay of Angels not that long ago. So good.
Old 07-31-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

RIP to one of the greatest actors of all time, an icon and a true legend. Loved her in just about everything she did.

From Malle's Elevator to the Gallows, to Antonioni's La Notte, to Truffaut's Jules et Jim, to Buñuel's Diary of a Chambermaid, Fassbinder's Querelle.

She worked with a lot of the European masters.

Old 07-31-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

Old 07-31-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 658 Posts

Huge loss.

Her Filmography was huge. Worked with so many legendary directors and in so many masterpieces. She's a legend herself.
Old 07-31-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,317 Likes on 881 Posts

Good article:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...rench-new-wave
Old 07-31-17, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just thinking the other day about how many important foreign actors of the 1950s through 1970s (including her) were still surprisingly around (Belmondo, Delon, Depardieu, Deneuve, Bardot, etc.). RIP.
Old 07-31-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 418 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
I was just thinking the other day about how many important foreign actors of the 1950s through 1970s (including her) were still surprisingly around (Belmondo, Delon, Depardieu, Deneuve, Bardot, etc.). RIP.
Anna Karina, Jacqueline Bissett, Max Von Sydow, Liv Ullmann.

89, well at least she lived a long damn life. RIP.
Old 07-31-17, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

Shew was such a chameleon. Do a google image search for her, and every picture of her is a completely different look, most of them beautiful.