Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spawn Movie Reboot -- News, Updates, Wishful Thinking

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

http://comicbook.com/2016/02/14/excl...-movie-script/

EXCLUSIVE: Todd McFarlane Is Finished with New Spawn Movie Script

Todd McFarlane has been talking about a new Spawn movie for a few years now, but he told ComicBook.com in an exclusive interview that 2016 is the year he makes it happen. At Toy Fair New York, McFarlane sat down and talked toys, branching out, and his first love, Spawn.

"I've finished the script, and I'm in the process of editing," McFarlane told ComicBook when asked for an update. "It's 183 pages, and [producers] usually like 120. I still think it's going to end up being about 140, because I'm putting in details for myself."

That's because McFarlane also hopes to direct the film, so he's writing the script as "a director's script." The trimming is still necessary so he can get it to "a spot where I can walk this into Hollywood and start hooking the actors," he said.

The writer/artist/creator/toy magnate wants to direct the film, and is trying to keep the budget low because of it.

"I want to keep it small, keep it tight, so they'll let me direct it!" he said. His goal is to see production start in 2016. "I need to get him back up on the big screen again to make him relevant in a big way, which we will do," he said.

McFarlane will also be releasing his first Spawn action figure in a few years, as part of his new "Color Tops" line, which will see waves of figures from different brands like Gears of War and Assassin's Creed released alongside his own Spawn and his popular The Walking Dead figures.

“I’m curious to see what happens when we go, ‘Spawn’s back and there’s only one,’ to see if we can get a little stampede, get people interested,” he said of the new figure.

http://comicbook.com/2016/02/14/excl...-action-film-/

EXCLUSIVE: Next Spawn Movie Will Not Be Superhero or Action Film, McFarlane Says

Todd McFarlane is going full steam ahead on a new Spawn movie, but it's going to be very different from any interpretation of the character seen before. In an exclusive interview with ComicBook.com at Toy Fair New York, McFarlane revealed his new take on the film. He has finished the screenplay, and is currently editing it down before shopping it around Hollywood.

McFarlane opened up for the first time about the type of movie he's hoping to make, and it's a new take on Spawn altogether. Of course, the movie will be "a hard R," he assures fans, but he said it won't be a superhero, or even an action movie.

"I'd put it more into horror/suspense/supernatural genre," McFarlane told ComicBook. "If you take the movie The Departed meets Paranormal Activity, something like that."

The goal is to make Spawn as a character something entirely unique in the world of the new film.

"In the background, there’s this thing moving around, this boogeyman. That boogeyman just happens to be something that you and I, intellectually, know is Spawn," he explained. "Will he look like he did in the first movie? No. Will he have a supervillain he fights? No. He’s going to be the spectre, the ghost."

He likens Spawn's presence in the new movie to that of the lurking evil in Japanese horror films (and their Hollywood remakes) like The Grudge or The Ring.

"I think they all work because there’s only one thing in the movie that’s not normal. There’s not five things, there’s one thing that’s the boogeyman. So that’ll be Spawn," he said. "He’s this thing that just whooshes in, this ghost that moves and will f*** you up if you’re in the wrong place in the wrong time, and the rest of the movie will look real, and be this real drama. He’s just this ghost, this thing behind it."

It's a take on the character, moving even farther from the superhero comics that birthed it, that McFarlane has been wanting to explore for awhile, but it also has a practical application.

"Basically, I can make this version of the movie on a budget without crazy special effects," he said with a slight chuckle. "I want to keep it small, keep it tight, so they'll let me direct it!"
Old 02-14-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Todd McFarlane developing new Spawn movie (not a sequel)

Whatever....

Just do a live action version of the HBO series and be done with it. That was the best version.
Old 02-14-16, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Meh.

I'll get interested when someone of value is attached to this. McFarlane isn't that for me.
Old 02-14-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts

Spawn was cool but it's definitely past the point where I think most people care about the character anymore. I can't see a new film doing much better than the original just because I don't think the interest is there anymore even if the tone is better this time around.
Old 02-14-16, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 993 Posts

15-20 years too late at this point. If it's anything the animated HBO series then it will be cool but I don't see something like that having a low budget.

They can get Michael B. Jordan to play Al Simmons/Spawn, though. That'll hook for sure.
Old 02-14-16, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

Meh. hasnt he been writing this for like 10-15 years?
Old 02-14-16, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should have been made when Spawn was still relevant. And making him look different will piss of any remaining Spawn fans. He'd probably be better at getting it turned into a Netflix series.
Old 02-14-16, 05:34 PM
Banned

Just read what McFarlane said.

The Departed meets Paranormal Activity... what?
Old 02-14-16, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish I cared? I stopped caring about Spawn when the story stopped being interesting (circa 1999?)
Old 02-14-16, 06:53 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The indifference is deafening
Old 02-15-16, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HN
The indifference is deafening
People might've cared in 1997. At this point, it's at least 15 years late. Though I did like the HBO series. Shame they never got to continue it.
Old 02-15-16, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOOK AT ALL THESE MOUTH BREATHERS BREATHING ABOUT SPAWN. UGH, COME ON GUYS!!11,

actually, nah. No one cares about this any more.

I'm actually more surprised that his toy company is still in business. I guess they must have moved away from the "smelling like new tires, lack of any movement, dust collecting, poor man's statues" that they were back in the day?
Old 02-15-16, 07:25 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
LOOK AT ALL THESE MOUTH BREATHERS BREATHING ABOUT SPAWN. UGH, COME ON GUYS!!11,

actually, nah. No one cares about this any more.

I'm actually more surprised that his toy company is still in business. I guess they must have moved away from the "smelling like new tires, lack of any movement, dust collecting, poor man's statues" that they were back in the day?
They always looked nice and detailed, but this is coming from someone who never felt the urge to buy them, or collectibles in general.
Old 02-15-16, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton

He has The Walking Dead license, so that's probably a big one.

Also has MLB, NBA, and NHL licenses. I remember reading a ling time ago that McFarlane took a bathnon the pro sports licenses because they were expensive and the toys didn't sell, but he still seems to be making them so someone must be buying them.
Old 02-15-16, 08:34 AM
Banned

Wtf is a bathon?
Old 02-15-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Wtf is a bathon?
bath on.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/bath

take a bath (on something)
Sl. to accumulate large losses on a business transaction or an investment.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-05-22)
Old 02-15-16, 08:59 AM
Banned

Bathnon, I mean.
Old 02-15-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Right, are you just being nitpicky over a typo? Seemed "take a bath on" was clearly what was meant.
Old 02-15-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

Even the animated HBO series was very tedious in stretches. I haven't watched it in years but I believe season two was like watching paint dry. There were some strong parts.

What Todd hasn't figured out yet is that everyone was buying Spawn for its incredible artwork, not the lamely derivative story. It's a shame he made enough money off Spawn's initial success to abandon Marvel and DC forever. He belongs drawing Spider-Man.

I don't think I was ever more disappointed in a movie premiere than Spawn. That is saying something when I was hyped for the Phantom Menace.
Old 02-15-16, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Spawn seemed like a cool character, and he definitely looked pretty wild. Without ever reading any of the comics or watched the animated series, I don't know much about him otherwise. I would be as interested as any other movie. If it looked good, I'd see it.
Old 02-15-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Wtf is a bathon?
Originally Posted by fumanstan
bath on.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/bath

take a bath (on something)
Sl. to accumulate large losses on a business transaction or an investment.
Bathnon, I mean.
"Took a bath on" (as in, lost money on.)

"Bathnon" means I'm typing on this on my iPad's virtual keyboard, and I have to hunt and peck and can't watch what I'm typing.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-05-22)
Old 07-21-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts
Spawn Reboot (D: McFarlane) -- Blumhouse Production

It’s official: after years of development, Todd McFarlane is getting another Spawn movie off the ground. Interestingly enough, McFarlane will be directing the movie himself at Blumhouse Productions.

McFarlane revealed through his Facebook that his Image Comics anti-hero is officially getting a new cinematic interpretation over twenty years after the release of the original movie. Spawn will be his directorial debut for a feature film, as his previous directing credits are all based on music videos (Pearl Jam’s “Do the Evolution”, Korn’s “Freak on a Leash”, and Disturbed’s cover of the Genesis song “Land of Confusion”) — all of which were entirely or partially animated.
http://heroichollywood.com/todd-mcfa...vie-blumhouse/
Old 07-21-17, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
re: Spawn Movie Reboot -- News, Updates, Wishful Thinking

From what I have read about the script, there is no way this is going to be a successful movie.
Old 07-21-17, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 215 Posts

I saw the 1997 movie on Netflix for the first time a few weeks ago. Clown was pretty well done, but a ton of it does not hold up well. The HBO cartoon on the other hand was solid, and had most of the same story, without getting corny (except for that killer robot).
Old 05-03-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Rumor: Jamie Foxx being considered for the lead role.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/...ad-jamie-foxx/

I emphasize rumor since it's not an official media source.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.