Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Can comedy on the big screen survive the super hero era?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Can comedy on the big screen survive the super hero era?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Can comedy on the big screen survive the super hero era?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think it's the opposite. The biggest comedies always seem to come out of nowhere and don't have A-listers. Think Superbad, Hangover, Ted, Bridesmaids, Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, American Pie, Napolean Dynamite, Harold & Kumar, Bad Santa, Horrible Bosses, Super Troopers, Saun of the Dead, etc.

Once you attach a big name to headline whatever script is laying around, it seems the comedy quality dips. Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Jim Carey, etc. The only exceptions that I can think of that seem to defy this is Bill Murray and Ben Stiller. Both have their duds, but are more consistent than most.
With the exception of maybe Murray, none of those you mentioned are big stars. Tom Hanks is a big star. Tom Cruise is a big star.

We've moved into the era where a hit comedy means a blockbuster. Ghostbusters(the original) for example. You either need spectacular visuals or a mega-star.
This is 2017. You have to offer something that can't be duplicated on a mobile device.
Old 07-26-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Just curious : what was the last straight-up (i.e. not Action-Comedy) non-animated comedy movie you guys went to see in a movie theater? For me, I think it was "Trainwreck". That was, what, 2 years ago?
I went to see the Coen Bros.' HAIL CAESAR in Feb. 2016. That was the last since we're not counting action comedies (the last one in that genre was DEADPOOL, seen a week after HAIL CAESAR).
Old 07-26-17, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Why?

Do you belong in the Wonder Woman discussion???
Girl Trip looks horrible and don't see why people want to see that.
Old 07-26-17, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Rough Night... yet another entry in the 'things get wildly out of control' comedy subgenre and about the 20th film like this since The Hangover. Baywatch seemed like an attempt to '21 Jump Street' a different franchise.
The third "this is incredibly obvious (but apparently lost on Suits/article writers)" truth.

1. The cited films are not good. The genre isn't dead; recent offerings haven't been transcendent enough.
2. Cinema attending is pricey. [c.f. people prefer the 'in'/zeistgeist-y experience, i.e. superheroes]
3. Things being touted as 'the next big thing' have already been done to death.

Hype for the recent Ghostbusters, a new Will Ferrel film, another Hangover clone... we've seen them already. And the Old One Was Better.

And on the third hand: DEADPOOL. And Guardians of the Galaxy. And Antman.

...lastly, the article wants a new Hangover, 40-Year Old Virgin and Bridesmaids. 2005, 2009, 2011. Why should we expect one 'like that' every year, when clearly those span 6/7..? Even if everyone should purportedly like 'that' kind of comedy (separate debate), something that big isn't an annual event.

(Isn't Pitch Perfect a 'big' comedy? And Ted? And the dozens of big-money-making, critically/culturally popular animated comedies..?)

Lastly, if Truth 2a. is that people would rather wait for the (often cheaper than a ticket) blu/DVD, Truth 4 is probably that "pure" genres have become increasingly eroded by time and maturity. Trying to check via BoxOfficeMojo told me that there are a dozen "comedy" categories rather than one... so logic says that if most films have humour in them, a pure humour film has be both be super-special/wide-reaching/clever to make a lot more than a different film that might be just as funny AND have [X].

Last edited by ntnon; 07-26-17 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-26-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
With the exception of maybe Murray, none of those you mentioned are big stars. Tom Hanks is a big star. Tom Cruise is a big star.
Um, that was my point?
Old 07-26-17, 07:07 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Article on the dea(r)th of Romantic Comedy, says much of what's been said here: http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-rom...comedy-is-dead
Old 07-27-17, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
It is sad when Girls Trip will be the biggest comedy in 2017.
I for one think it's pretty cool all these A List stars had their comedy films flop,and respected charecter actress Regina Hall has top billing on the biggest comedy hit of 2017.

Gives hope to the Ann Dowd and Timoth Spall's of the world
Old 07-27-17, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
One thing a comedy could have and still draw people is a big star. We don't have big stars anymore. If Tom Hanks made a comedy it would have a chance at theatrical hit.
If the trailer was good maybe,name alone don't put asses in seats. That film Tom Hanks did with Emma Watson earlier in the year flopped hard despite a huge amount of adverts for it.
Old 07-27-17, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
If the trailer was good maybe,name alone don't put asses in seats. That film Tom Hanks did with Emma Watson earlier in the year flopped hard despite a huge amount of adverts for it.
But that wasn't a Comedy, and the advertising made it clear that it was an Emma Watson film (whom hasn't proven to be a box office draw on her own) and the adverts were pretty vague about what the heck the film was. Having seen "The Circle", I understand that confusion...
Old 08-02-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I miss stuff like Eddie Murphy used to do or sports comedies like Major League, etc. My biggest problem with comedies in recent years has been people like Seth Rogen or Jonah Hill, who seem to only be able to make jokes out of drug use and/or dick jokes. They're just not that funny to me.

I did like the Jump Street movies, but it was more in spite of all of the stupid humor because it had an actual plot. Most recently, I liked Central Intelligence. Kevin Hart has a lot of the Murphy-isms to make me happy and laugh while watching it, but it also had an interesting plot and characters I actually liked. Some suspension of disbelief is required, but overall I had a good time watching that movie, which felt like it had real people in it. Horrible Bosses kind of fits that as well.

Comedies sometimes lack that "realism" and that's usually where they lose me. Will Ferrell has never been that funny to me, mostly because his stuff seems like it would have to take place in an alternate universe where everyone was too ridiculously stupid to even exist in our world. Adam Sandler, kind of the same thing. That's not to say I don't laugh at anything they do. I still think Happy Gilmore is pretty funny.

Take the two Ghostbusters movies as an example. I loved the first one. It was funny, frightening, and interesting all at the same time. It felt like real world people in over-the-top situations. The remake...it felt almost like a parody. It was meant to be funny first and interesting second.

Today's "comic" actors seem to be trying too hard. It's like the kid in high school who didn't get much attention. One day, he made a joke that everyone laughed at and then he started running around acting as "funny" as possible to the point where it became tired and annoying. That's what the Ghostbusters remake felt like to me...and most anything Melissa McCarthy appears in outside of The Heat.

As you can tell, comedy is very subjective. Not everyone will find the same things funny, which kind of divides that particular genre's audience from the get-go. But, I'd rather have an interesting movie first and then we can sprinkle jokes throughout rather than just running around ramming your head into walls, talking about your dick and/or drugs, and then turning around and waiting for people to laugh.
Old 08-02-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Yep. Names help give a movie cred but the movie has to be able sell itself to get asses in seats.
Old 06-19-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No since maybe Hollywood puts out 5 comedies per year

When you check the weekly new dvd releases how many of the movies are comedies?

Most weeks it is zero.
Old 06-19-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
No since maybe Hollywood puts out 5 comedies per year

When you check the weekly new dvd releases how many of the movies are comedies?

Most weeks it is zero.
There are more straight-to-DVD Nicolas Cage movies released per week on average than there are comedies.
Old 06-20-18, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I miss stuff like Eddie Murphy used to do or sports comedies like Major League, etc. My biggest problem with comedies in recent years has been people like Seth Rogen or Jonah Hill, who seem to only be able to make jokes out of drug use and/or dick jokes. They're just not that funny to me.

I did like the Jump Street movies, but it was more in spite of all of the stupid humor because it had an actual plot. Most recently, I liked Central Intelligence. Kevin Hart has a lot of the Murphy-isms to make me happy and laugh while watching it, but it also had an interesting plot and characters I actually liked. Some suspension of disbelief is required, but overall I had a good time watching that movie, which felt like it had real people in it. Horrible Bosses kind of fits that as well.

Comedies sometimes lack that "realism" and that's usually where they lose me. Will Ferrell has never been that funny to me, mostly because his stuff seems like it would have to take place in an alternate universe where everyone was too ridiculously stupid to even exist in our world. Adam Sandler, kind of the same thing. That's not to say I don't laugh at anything they do. I still think Happy Gilmore is pretty funny.

Take the two Ghostbusters movies as an example. I loved the first one. It was funny, frightening, and interesting all at the same time. It felt like real world people in over-the-top situations. The remake...it felt almost like a parody. It was meant to be funny first and interesting second.

Today's "comic" actors seem to be trying too hard. It's like the kid in high school who didn't get much attention. One day, he made a joke that everyone laughed at and then he started running around acting as "funny" as possible to the point where it became tired and annoying. That's what the Ghostbusters remake felt like to me...and most anything Melissa McCarthy appears in outside of The Heat.

As you can tell, comedy is very subjective. Not everyone will find the same things funny, which kind of divides that particular genre's audience from the get-go. But, I'd rather have an interesting movie first and then we can sprinkle jokes throughout rather than just running around ramming your head into walls, talking about your dick and/or drugs, and then turning around and waiting for people to laugh.
Well said. I like some raunchy or sexy humor but it sems like too many rely on the same dick joke retold 50 times in 50 different ways. When I hit Family Video it is nearly impossible to find a good current comedy that both of us will watch.
Old 06-20-18, 12:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I think the biggest problem with comedy is the writing isn't nearly as funny as it was years ago (movies, tv, late night).

Where are the Harold Ramis, John Hughes, or even a Mel Brooks out there today for movies? Late Night is no better as the humor is just partisan jabs these days instead of original political skits. Go watch the SNL Presidential debates in 1988 &1992 compared to the past few election cycles. There are very few sitcoms that I watch either as the humor just feels forced in overrated comedies like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Comedy didn't die because of the Superhero Movie, comedy died in Hollywood because there are very few funny comedians and writers compared to 20-30 years ago.

I feel the same way. I can't remember the last time a movie was so funny that it made me cry, but the 80s were stacked with just original hilarious movies. Even a comedy hybrid movie like Midnight Run had me rolling.

I think a good comedy needs to have elements that people can relate too. People loved the vacation movie because in the 80s, many families had that vacation road trip with all the cheesy roadside attractions and having to visit the annoying relatives. Same thing with Christmas Vacation. I would even say The Hangover was a hit because a lot of people can relate to having a weekend with your buddies or Horrible Bosses. lol But something like The House? It was so stupid and over the top that no one could relate to that story. I didn't laugh once during that movie.
Old 06-20-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Huh, so people think comedies were good when they were younger but not now? If only there was some sort of precedent for generations thinking their art was the best and what the kids are into these days is bad by comparison.

I'd argue something like Guardians of the Galaxy is the equivalent of the original Ghostbusters - big budget action sci-fi comedies featuring TV stars. So it hasn't really gone anywhere - they've just changed.
Old 06-20-18, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
There are more straight-to-DVD Nicolas Cage movies released per week on average than there are comedies.
So True

if Kevin Hart is supposedly the biggest comedy movie star that shows how far the comedy genre has fallen.
Old 06-20-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The raunchier stuff I wait for home release. If I do see a comedy in theaters it's an action/comedy, etc.
Old 06-20-18, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

There's been some good comedies this year. Jumanji was fun, and Game Night was great.
Old 06-20-18, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
There's been some good comedies this year. Jumanji was fun, and Game Night was great.
I agree. I enjoyed them both immensely. I also watched both of them once they were released on Blu-ray, at home.
Old 06-21-18, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to think I still have a sense of humor, but good comedies are rare these days.
Seems like we only get a couple a year...if that.
Old 10-02-18, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It took more than 2 years for a pure comedy that does not mix genres to be the #1 movie at the box office.

For the first time in more than two years, a straight-up comedy is No. 1 at the box office. Kevin Hart and Tiffany Haddish’s Night School debuted with $28 million in ticket sales, according to estimates Sunday.

The race for the weekend top spot was, in the end, a laugher. Warner Bros.’ animated release Smallfoot, which cost about $80 million to make, trailed in second with $23 million.

Not since Melissa McCarthy’s The Boss topped the box office in April 2016 has a comedy that didn’t mix other genre elements been No. 1. The romantic comedy Crazy Rich Asians was a huge success, leading the box office for four straight weeks, and Tyler Perry’s two horror-comedies — Boo! A Madea Halloween and its sequel — both opened at the top.

Big-screen comedy has been in a tailspin for years. It took two of comedy’s biggest names teaming up to push Universal’s Night School to the year’s best comedy opening.

“We’ve been very consistent in this genre,” said Jim Orr, distribution chief for Universal. “When you get in business with people like Kevin Hart and Tiffany Haddish who are just on fire, and then really extraordinary filmmakers like (producer) Will Packer, that’s how you get good results.”

More than most studios, Universal has stuck by comedy. This year, it also released the prom-night farce Blockers ($60.1 million worldwide on a $21 million budget) and the comic musical Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again ($390.1 million worldwide on a $75 million budget).

Frights, not laughs, have become the hotter attraction at the movies, but for one weekend at least, horror and comedy switched roles. Lionsgate’s Halloween-themed Hell Fest debuted meekly with $5.1 million.

“Over the last few years, comedy has just taken a real roller coaster ride with audiences either not locking into the premise or not vibing with the stars,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst or comScore. “The quality, or at least the perceived quality of many of the movies, especially the R-rated comedies, has been so bad that time after time people got disenchanted by the genre.”
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/new...80d16cb61.html

Old 10-02-18, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Jumanji I saw in the theater thanks to Moviepass. Loved it and purchased the 4K. Game Night we thought was very entertaining but that was a rental.
Old 10-02-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Night School doesn't even look like something I would watch for free.
Old 10-02-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

So Crazy Rich Asians didn't count because it was a Rom Com and not just a Com Com?