Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

War for the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: War for the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
9.68%
32.26%
38.71%
9.68%
9.68%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

War for the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: War for the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I enjoyed it, though was a little bothered that characters could "hear" entire signed conversations (even when they had their backs to the ape doing the signing)
Old 07-19-17, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: War for the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Even though Harrelson was good, he did play a rather cliched villain. I did like his ending...
Actually, I thought the character was far more nuanced than I expected. Usually you're given a more one-dimensional over-the-top character to make sure you hate him, but I thought his long scene with Caesar explained his motivations in a more measured way than I expected. Keep in mind, if this were the real world, you (a human) probably wouldn't be on the side of the apes.
Old 07-19-17, 05:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Caught this yesterday. Really liked it . It takes a lot of determination to make an FX heavy studio sci-fi film of this scale that is so anti-blockbuster in feel. I would actually liken this movie to old school David Lean epics. They had great visuals and set pieces, but they were there to supplement the story and characters, not substitute for a lack of both.
I am kind of curious of Reeves will make an updated take on the original POTA with modern FX. If this happens, I want it to be a take done in the style of these movies almost entirely from the apes POV. I think that would be something worthwhile. I do see how the ending sets up the original, but have always figured from the get go that this was meant as a reimagining of the entire saga except with an earlier starting point.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. But I was surprised just how much of it is subtitled or in slow, deliberate, ape talk. Not in a bad way, either. The story here was fairly simple, which was fine. I liked how they set up the virus affecting the humans. Before that even got mentioned, I was thinking that it would be cool to bring it full-circle with the original in a way that explained why the humans in the future were the way they were. A mutated virus works for me.
I'd love to see a re-imagining of the first one, but from the perspective of the Apes, not the humans. That would be really cool. Each of these new films has focused more and more on the apes themselves, so it would make sense that we might get one more flick (or a trilogy? might be too much...), this time with ALL apes, and no smart humans, before getting the POTA remake.
Old 07-19-17, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ One thing that is still a mystery is what happened to cause all of the nuclear damage. We saw that human clans were clearly at odds with one another in this one. The virus may have affected humans, but it wouldn't cause the wastelands we saw in the original movie.
Old 07-24-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw this today, I really liked it. All three of these "prequels" were very well done. It's amazing how good these prequels were, when the Alien prequels from the same studio are such a mess (in my opinion).
Old 07-24-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

No, that's a fact mh!
Old 10-24-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Nice conclusion to a well made, albeit not great, trilogy.
Old 10-26-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Just watched it and loved it. I missed it in theaters, too. It was rather subdued until the end. I don't think it was necessarily epic in scope either. Doesn't matter, it was still awesome.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 10-29-17 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-29-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very well done movie and a perfect way to wrap up the trilogy. It felt just a tad slow at times and probably didn't need to be 2hrs 20 mins, but it told a good story with a satisfying ending. I thought Woody was good as the villan, but they could have had a better exit for his character. And the big action scene at the end felt a little out of place from the rest of the film. Overall though a great movie.
Old 10-30-17, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

They could have called it "The Great Esc-Ape"

Why didn't the little girl lose her mental faculties from the virus? Outside of being mute she seemed normal?
Old 10-30-17, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

She was young when she contracted it, so didn't know what she was missing--but it drove Woody, who was already on the edge, crazy.

I just made that up, but maybe that works?