Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies which were "ghost" directed

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies which were "ghost" directed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Movies which were "ghost" directed

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Yeah, I remember seeing that reassembled footage on AMC back when they used to be an actually good channel full of classic old movies.
Yeah, the existence of that footage would be a great candidate for his widow or someone to used either CGI or Deepfakes to create the opening 45 minutes or so of the movie as all plot setup with no fights and then end it with a restored version of the actual fight footage that Bruce Lee shot to finally give us a reasonably good version of Game of Death. That would be a perfect project for NetFlix to fund.
Old 01-15-20, 06:04 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That is a good idea.
Old 01-15-20, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Yeah, the existence of that footage would be a great candidate for his widow or someone to used either CGI or Deepfakes to create the opening 45 minutes or so of the movie as all plot setup with no fights and then end it with a restored version of the actual fight footage that Bruce Lee shot to finally give us a reasonably good version of Game of Death. That would be a perfect project for NetFlix to fund.
That was already done. John Little, who directed A Warrior's Journey, shot a 20 minute short film on the material that was supposed to set up the pagoda sequence. It was based off Bruce's notes. It was filmed on location in Korea. That film can only be seen as an extra on the international version of the DVD. It's nowhere to be found in the States.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-17-20)
Old 01-16-20, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
That was already done. John Little, who directed A Warrior's Journey, shot a 20 minute short film on the material that was supposed to set up the pagoda sequence. It was based off Bruce's notes. It was filmed on location in Korea. That film can only be seen as an extra on the international version of the DVD. It's nowhere to be found in the States.
20 minutes isn't enough. It would need to be longer to make it into a movie, so at least 40 minutes of additional footage. The footage doesn't have to be all that great, just enough exposition to set up the existing footage for the finale.

And when did John Little shoot this? Because footage shot before CGI and Deepfakes were good enough to show the original character in a convincing way is pretty much useless these days. And if it doesn't have the main character played by Bruce Lee at all in it, then it's completely useless.

Old 01-16-20, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dhmac
20 minutes isn't enough. It would need to be longer to make it into a movie, so at least 40 minutes of additional footage. The footage doesn't have to be all that great, just enough exposition to set up the existing footage for the finale.

And when did John Little shoot this? Because footage shot before CGI and Deepfakes were good enough to show the original character in a convincing way is pretty much useless these days. And if it doesn't have the main character played by Bruce Lee at all in it, then it's completely useless.
It was shot 20 years ago and like I said was an extra in the International DVD of A Warrior's Journey. There were clips of it on YouTube before they got removed. It was mostly the newly re-enacted footage with narration.
Old 01-16-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Oh shit. I found it. I had to change my search words a lot, but found it. It's poor quality.

Here's Game of Death "Ghost directed" by John Little.

Part 1:

Part 2:

https://youtu.be/kH9tobPHEKY

It's a weird edit. The film is only 20 minutes, but Part 2 edits in the actual Game of Death pagoda sequence.
Old 01-16-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Oh shit. I found it. I had to change my search words a lot, but found it. It's poor quality.
I just found those two videos myself.

I don't think John Little filmed anything new.,, [Edit: I found an interview stating he filmed some new footage for "The Story" bit. It looks appropriately vintage.]
http://www.cityonfire.com/unknown/in...kaup/index.htm

I also found this fan edit that combines the Bruce Lee footage from GoD and A Warrior's Journey. It's called Warrior's Journey - Remastered:

I've also found reference to the UK Blu-ray of GoD containing a featurette called "Game of Death Revisisted" which is 40 minutes of the original footage.

Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Game of Death AKA Bruce Lee's Game of Death (Blu-ray) (1978)
Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey AKA A Warrior's Journey (2000)
Game of Death Blu-ray - Bruce Lee

Last edited by Jay G.; 01-16-20 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-17-20, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
For Rogue One: A Star Wars story, the rumor is that Tony Gilroy, hired for re-writes during post-production, ended up directing the reshoots.
This rumor is true: https://www.slashfilm.com/tony-gilro...-one-reshoots/
Old 01-17-20, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostface180
A story that uses phrases like " further indication" and "supposedly," isn't one that I would say is definitely asserting the truth of its statements.

It's widely known, and all the unofficial "off the record" statement indicate that its' true, but it's technically still a rumor until Disney, Lucasfilm, Gareth Edwards, or Tony Gilroy state something on the record.
Old 01-19-20, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I just found those two videos myself.

I don't think John Little filmed anything new.,, [Edit: I found an interview stating he filmed some new footage for "The Story" bit. It looks appropriately vintage.]
Bruce Lee's Temple of the Unknown

I also found this fan edit that combines the Bruce Lee footage from GoD and A Warrior's Journey. It's called Warrior's Journey - Remastered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec4qwXAxY50

I've also found reference to the UK Blu-ray of GoD containing a featurette called "Game of Death Revisisted" which is 40 minutes of the original footage.

Rewind @ rewind @ dvdcompare.net - the home of dvd & blu-ray comparisons - Game of Death AKA Bruce Lee's Game of Death (Blu-ray) (1978)
Rewind @ rewind @ dvdcompare.net - the home of dvd & blu-ray comparisons - Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey AKA A Warrior's Journey (2000)
Game of Death Blu-ray - Bruce Lee
Cool finds.

I found that the 2000 documentary Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey which started the release of lost footage is streamable with an Amazon Prime account.
LINK:
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (01-19-20)
Old 01-19-20, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostface180
Should have brought him back for TLJ and ROS.