Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
In a perfect world, "The Dark Phoenix Saga" would be like the entire ten-episode third season of an ongoing X-Men series, on like Netflix or Disney+ or whatever.
The only way the story could be done right. Because we are talking Sentinels, space pirates, mutant aliens, an alien civilization who protects a crystal with the Phoenix force housed inside, the Hellfire Club temptation, Wolverine vs the Hellfire club, and planet destroying all power!
Old 03-06-19, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

I'm actually really excited for this movie. I know a lot of people dislike the X-Men movies for not following the comics accurately or not doing the characters justice which I can agree with, but all in all I enjoy the films and have fun watching them. Jean/ Phoenix is my favorite Marvel character so getting a movie following her and the Phoenix is something I have waited for since I was a kid. They may not do it exactly as I would hope they would but I am excited regardless. The trailers already look much better then The Last Stand which is all I can hope for at this point. I just hope that the FoX-Men franchise goes out with a bang or a decent note at least, because even though I am ready for the X-Men to be apart of the MCU, I do want the current franchise to have a decent ending.
Old 03-08-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragnbogen
I'm actually really excited for this movie. I know a lot of people dislike the X-Men movies for not following the comics accurately or not doing the characters justice which I can agree with, but all in all I enjoy the films and have fun watching them. Jean/ Phoenix is my favorite Marvel character so getting a movie following her and the Phoenix is something I have waited for since I was a kid. They may not do it exactly as I would hope they would but I am excited regardless. The trailers already look much better then The Last Stand which is all I can hope for at this point. I just hope that the FoX-Men franchise goes out with a bang or a decent note at least, because even though I am ready for the X-Men to be apart of the MCU, I do want the current franchise to have a decent ending.
Only if they use the What If? issue #27 to end it, where Jean vaporizes the entire FOX/Marvel universe.
Old 03-09-19, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Only if they use the What If? issue #27 to end it, where Jean vaporizes the entire FOX/Marvel universe.
Or if they go the route of the Adventures of the X-Men series and have the universe be destroyed, but have Phoenix use her powers to ease everyone's minds as the universe ends and another begins (potentially making the Fox X-Men universe a prequel universe/ series to the MCU) definitely far fetched but I'd love it haha
Old 04-17-19, 09:32 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="686" height="386" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/azvR__GRQic" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-17-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Looks good, thats a better trailer.
Old 04-17-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

So we know...
Spoiler:
Mystique bites it, but based on the some of the scenes in the trailers there's a lack of Quicksilver. So I'm guessing he dies as well or is injured pretty bad in that same battle with Jean
Old 04-17-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
So we know...
Spoiler:
Mystique bites it, but based on the some of the scenes in the trailers there's a lack of Quicksilver. So I'm guessing he dies as well or is injured pretty bad in that same battle with Jean
I've heard someone say
Spoiler:
that that scene is basically the only scene with quicksilver in it, and he gets taken out of commission right after that. Not sure how true that is.
Old 04-17-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I still don't feel the weight of all of this because of no set up for the relationship between Jean and Scott (or Logan). Or if Xavier puts in place the psychic dampeners. It's just going to be weird that we get this without a build up and like someone mentioned, it's just a remake of Last Stand.
Old 04-17-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

gonna miss Fassbender as Magneto after this
Old 04-17-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

They should fully shelve this (it's already a sunk cost after the purchase), and then do a MCU version of X-men and build up several different franchises to bring them altogether with Jean/Dark Phoenix as the big adversary at the end.
Then after that, they can pull this out and exploit it as a "lost" vision or some kind of unseen gem. It doesn't serve a whole lot of purpose now other than to sully this source material yet again. That's sully in terms of wasting/degrading the original impact of the general premise with this storyline and these characters.
Old 04-17-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
gonna miss Fassbender as Magneto after this

He and McAvoy have been aces. The rest of the cast on the other hand...not a fan.
Old 04-18-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
They should fully shelve this (it's already a sunk cost after the purchase), and then do a MCU version of X-men and build up several different franchises to bring them altogether with Jean/Dark Phoenix as the big adversary at the end.
Then after that, they can pull this out and exploit it as a "lost" vision or some kind of unseen gem. It doesn't serve a whole lot of purpose now other than to sully this source material yet again. That's sully in terms of wasting/degrading the original impact of the general premise with this storyline and these characters.
I don't think it matters anymore. They are just an also-ran at this point.
Old 04-18-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Disney will put it out because it's done and they don't have to sink much more money into it in order to get it into theaters and start generating some return. Its potential for return will also never be higher than it is right now. So it will come out, generate some ticket sales, and be forgotten. It can't really damage the brand any more at this point. When Disney is ready to reboot, they will make it quite clear to everyone.
Old 04-18-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Is Logan cannon with this X-Men universe? If so, I would not be surprised if at the end of Dark Phoenix Professor X kills them all by accident, which is why he's all fucked up in Logan still living with the grief 50 years later.
Old 04-18-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I assume it's canon, but could take place in that alternate timeline from Days of the Future Past. I don't remember where we went after that.
Old 04-18-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Is Logan cannon with this X-Men universe? If so, I would not be surprised if at the end of Dark Phoenix Professor X kills them all by accident, which is why he's all fucked up in Logan still living with the grief 50 years later.
Yeah, I'd be super surprised if they ended with that, which would tick off the remaining fans of this series of movies. I mean they already delayed this because of reshoots and redos to the third act, if they end with just boom everyone dies, go home, X-men will return in the MCU once everyone forgets about these films, that would be... something.

Plus Jackman's not even in this.
Old 04-18-19, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Highly unlikely that happens.
Old 04-26-19, 12:40 PM

It turns out that X-Men: Dark Phoenix's original third act climax was reshot. After nearly twenty years and several movies (including, spinoffs centered on Deadpool and Wolverine), Fox's solo run on the X-Men films is coming to an end. The property is expected to be largely rebooted for the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a few years, now that Disney has finalized its purchase of Fox's assets. This will be the second time the X-Men have been rebooted on the big screen, after 2011's X-Men: First Class introduced (much) younger iterations of the characters from the 2000s X-Men trilogy.

Initially, it appeared that Fox and Dark Phoenix writer-director Simon Kinberg were planning to use the movie to kick-off another trilogy, this time focusing on the X-Men trainees introduced in 2016's X-Men: Apocalypse (like Sophie Turner's Jean Grey). That's no longer the case though, as Dark Phoenix is now being marketed as the culmination of the last eight years of storytelling in the X-Men films. For their part, the movie's producers have played down the impact of the Disney-Fox deal on the series' ending.

Nevertheless, when Dark Phoenix went into reshoots last year, there was a lot of speculation that they were changing the film to serve as an ending to the First Class movies, rather than a continuation. Whether that's true or not, it's come to light that the movie's original third act - specifically, the climax - was, in fact, heavily revised. According to EW, Dark Phoenix's original third act climax was re-filmed, changing the setting from outer space to a battle aboard a military train (a sequence that's already been teased in the Dark Phoenix trailers).

It's worth mentioning that Kinberg has alluded to this in the past, having previously said that Dark Phoenix's reshoots were mostly focused on the third act's "physical scale and the action", as well as the scenes that led up to the original confrontation in outer space. That's to say, it sounds like the third act reshoots here were far less substantial than those carried out on 2018's The Predator, in which Shane Black re-filmed the third act entirely. The Predator's theatrical cut was widely criticized for being a messy patchwork of reshoot footage and material leftover from earlier versions, so hopefully that won't end up being the case with Dark Phoenix too.

Whichever way things shake out, Dark Phoenix is clearly aiming to provide a sense of closure to the First Class storyline and its characters, including the younger mutants introduced in Apocalypse. The film doesn't even include a post-credits scene setting up the next chapter, which is a change from both Apocalypse and its immediate predecessor, Days of Future Past. Disney and Marvel Studios are going to reboot the X-Men series either way (well, except for Deadpool), but it would still be nice if Dark Phoenix ended Fox's run with a bang, rather than a fizzle.
https://screenrant.com/x-men-dark-ph...rd-act-reshot/

Last edited by dex14; 05-07-19 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 09:22 AM

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JzUh49XD0CY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-07-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, I'd be super surprised if they ended with that, which would tick off the remaining fans of this series of movies. I mean they already delayed this because of reshoots and redos to the third act, if they end with just SNAP everyone dies, go home, X-men will return in the MCU once everyone forgets about these films, that would be... something.

Plus Jackman's not even in this.

Fixed.
Old 05-09-19, 01:06 PM

Old 05-09-19, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

^ Still no advance tickets for sale. I want to grab Thursday night tickets if there's a showing for this. My son was really into the reboot trilogy.
Old 05-09-19, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
^ Still no advance tickets for sale. I want to grab Thursday night tickets if there's a showing for this. My son was really into the reboot trilogy.
Mark your calendars for Monday, May 13, when 20th Century Fox will kick off X-Men Day - a celebration of the culmination of the X-Men saga, its global fanbase, all the beloved characters, its groundbreaking impact on popular culture and enduring audience appeal for nearly 20 years. On Monday, fan celebrations of all things X-Men will happen online and all over the world including the debut of exclusive X-Men content, special events, and unexpected surprises for our most loyal fans. X-Men Day will honor the legacy of the X-Men franchise and kick off advance ticket sales for DARK PHOENIX. For more information, follow X-Men Movies (@XMenMovies) on social media!

Last edited by dex14; 05-09-19 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-10-19, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I may have been too quick to write this off.

That second trailer reveals they are at least trying to hit some fundamental story beats from the original source.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.