Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Kinberg is to partly to blame (along with Zak Penn) for X3 more than Ratner. And he spoke about this prior to doing DOFP.

No, I would have fought harder for The Dark Phoenix. Listen, I think if we made that movie today, there are a lot of things that would be different. The universe today, culturally, is more open to a darker superhero film. And the darkness of her story was a little bit daunting on a huge $200 million studio movie. And, it would be less daunting today.
I just don't see how you can cram the Dark Phoenix Saga into one film.

As for the New Mutants, Josh Boone has been tweeting a lot, but not really revealing a lot. Will he use Sunspot from Age of Apocalypse?
Old 04-24-17, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

I would have a little more hope if someone else does this film besides Singer. DOFP was the only good X-Men film he has made and besides the story its mostly good because of young/old Magneto and Xavier.
Old 04-24-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

“The seeds of Phoenix definitely are planted in [Apocalypse]. She can’t control her powers unless she either fully stops them or lets them all loose, and that’s kind of Phoenix. I think in future movies to come we’ll definitely see a bit more of that.”
Ugh.... Sort of...

Jean actually got exposed by "deadly radiation" that promptly her to become Phoenix (green suit) and later on, Dark Phoenix (red suit) is supposedly triggered by Mastermind at Hellfire Club. And Dark Phoenix took over Jean's body and went on planet wide destruction and Sha'ar came to arrest her and then she committed suicide on the moon... (I'm just summed it up).

So, now, they're going with her growing inner dark that will consume her into Dark Phoenix? It doesn't sounds good to me. If they wanted to make it right, they should run a separate movie trilogy that focus on Dark Phoenix Saga.

I hate it when studio making movie that ruins the original of superheroes. They fucked up Elektra and Phoenix in previous movie.
Old 04-24-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Sophie Turner in that outfit? Consider me there.
I don't see the appeal. I thought she was an even worse Jean Grey than Famke Janssen.
Old 04-24-17, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Sophie Turner is just a weak actress, and I can't get excited about her getting more screen time in future films.
Old 04-24-17, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Even though I love X2 and Days of Future Past, count me as someone that hopes it isn't Singer back for this and also doesn't have faith in doing a Dark Phoenix story with the current universe and set up so far. I could also see another X3 debacle where something that was only mildly hinted at in the previous movie is rushed story wise.

Plus, X3 wasn't even that long ago to try and rehash an already failed story. Plenty of other X-Men stories they could go with.
Old 04-24-17, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I just don't see how you can cram the Dark Phoenix Saga into one film.
And really they crammed two movies worth of story into one 100min film! The 'cure' story would've been great as a 4th film in the series all on its own.
Old 04-24-17, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Put me in the "Sophie Turner is completely lackluster as Jean Gray" camp. They seem to be very hit or miss in the recasting department. Sophie and J.Law are a step backwards while McAvoy and Fassbender were home runs. Beast was a solid lateral move(I like both Grammer and Hoult).
Old 04-24-17, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Agreed....reboot everything. Using Deadpool as the launch point. (they've just shown the school, a few characters, etc) Makes no sense to keep this alternate 80's/90's first class story line going. Make the Dark Phoenix story line meaningful down the road with a newly established group.
Yeah this is really what they should do. The X-Men films are a clusterfuck and I don't see how they plan to make them all fit together without being really confusing. Even if they manage to make sense of the storylines the timeline is still all kinds of messed up. The failure of Apocalypse and the the end of Jackman and Stewart as Wolvie and Professor X would really make this a perfect time to just start fresh. Let Deadpool and the New Mutants keep the franchise going for a while and bring back a fresh new X team at a later date. Maybe Fox is hesitant to reboot with Days of Future Past being fairly recent and kind of serving as a reboot but realistically hanging on to what they have just because when a lot of the key players either won't be around or are question marks for future films is silly.
Old 04-24-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm guessing that Dark Phoenix is going to threaten the world, just like we saw in DOFP, and just like in Apocalypse.

I think the X-Men films would be better off taking a breather from these end-of-the-world scenarios.

"The Cure" should have been it's own movie.

Making a film involving Genosha (which at one point served as an allegory to apartheid in South Africa but could also bring parallels to Israel and Palestine to make it more current) would be world building.

Some of Grant Morrison's storylines would be pretty interesting.
Old 04-24-17, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Will they kill Jean Grey in this one?

And then bring out her clone to give birth to Cable in the squel?
Old 04-25-17, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brayzie
I'm guessing that Dark Phoenix is going to threaten the world, just like we saw in DOFP, and just like in Apocalypse.

I think the X-Men films would be better off taking a breather from these end-of-the-world scenarios.

"The Cure" should have been it's own movie.

Making a film involving Genosha (which at one point served as an allegory to apartheid in South Africa but could also bring parallels to Israel and Palestine to make it more current) would be world building.

Some of Grant Morrison's storylines would be pretty interesting.
Genosha would be great
Old 04-25-17, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Will they kill Jean Grey in this one?

And then bring out her clone to give birth to Cable in the squel?

I read that Brolin had signed a 4-picture deal to play Cable.

Deadpool 2
New Mutants (most likely since wasn't NM pretty much a spin-off into X-Force?)
X-Men: Dark Phoenix
X-Force?
Old 04-25-17, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The Phoenix story has been retconned so much I'm not even sure what it is anymore. The one I'm familiar with is Jean was piloting shuttle back to earth and she was going to die from heat and radiation. The Phoenix force came to her and took her form and identy and put Jean in a cocoon at the bottom of the Jamaican bay (which is a CC retcon of his own). So the Phoenix that rose out of the bay wasn't Jean but a copy and thus everything that happened after with the Dark Phoenix wasn't Jean. She doesn't appear again until the start of X-Factor.

It's too complex of a story to fit into a movie. We don't care enough about movie Jean for us to care about this story unless they set it up in multiple movies.
Old 04-28-17, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Please God, bring back Bryan Singer to do X3 right this time. Please...
Old 06-14-17, 12:26 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Fox has formalized plans for Dark Phoenix, the next installment of the X-Men franchise. This all just happened, but they’ve formalized Simon Kinberg as director, and the studio set a release date of Friday, November 2, 2018. Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult, Alexandra Shipp, Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan, and Kodi Smit-McPhee are all reprising when production begins in Montreal.

Kinberg is producing with Hutch Parker and Lauren Schuler Donner. This is a huge moment for Kinberg, who has been the backbone of the X-Men films forever, and the spinoffs, and he is finally getting his turn behind the camera, making his directorial debut on such a big film with subject matter he knows like the back of his hand.
http://deadline.com/2017/06/x-men-da...rg-1202113290/
Old 06-14-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018, D: Kinberg), S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Hoult, e

I thought Jen was done with the franchise. I would expect to see her in "human" form for most of the movie.
Old 06-14-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018, D: Kinberg), S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Hoult, e

Yeah, interesting that they're continuing the series with the same cast. I'm a little tired of this franchise and this is one of the few times where a reboot would be nice, but i'll still watch this all the same.
Old 06-14-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Can't remember the last time I saw an X-Men movie in the theater... I know I skipped the last two and will wait for this one on 4K.
Old 06-14-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Jessica Chastain in Talks to Play Villain in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...s-role-1013462

Darn, was hoping she would play either Poison Ivy in Gotham City Sirens or Cheetah in Wonder Woman 2 (assuming she's the main villain).
Old 06-14-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Cant believe they got Fassbender and company back, but that ups my interest in the film.
Old 06-14-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Jessica Chastain in Talks to Play Villain in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...s-role-1013462

Darn, was hoping she would play either Poison Ivy in Gotham City Sirens or Cheetah in Wonder Woman 2 (assuming she's the main villain).
On the bright side, casting Lilandra is hopefully a good sign that they're going to go off in to space which is a hell of a lot better then what we got in X3.
Old 06-14-17, 01:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This will have to get stellar reviews for me to see it. The original Phoenix/Dark Phoenix storyline is one of my all time favorite comic book arcs, and I have not seen any indication that the current creatives in charge of the X-Men franchise can do it justice.
Old 06-14-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Apocalypse" was excruciatingly painful to get through. I hope they can do better this time around.
Old 06-14-17, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

No Wolverine, no sale.... No strong Cyclops characterization, no sale...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.