Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Originally Posted by dex14
Obviously, you're not a golfer.
Old 08-05-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

@DaveBautista: I will do what Im legally obligated to do but @Guardians without @JamesGunn is not what I signed up for. GOTG w/o @JamesGunn just isn’t GOTG. Its also pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis . That’s just how I feel https://twitter.com/eliaseliot/status/1026179393549488133
Old 08-05-18, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Cybernazi is a good term to describe the movement.
Old 08-06-18, 08:31 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
@DaveBautista: I will do what Im legally obligated to do but @Guardians without @JamesGunn is not what I signed up for. GOTG w/o @JamesGunn just isn’t GOTG. Its also pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis . That’s just how I feel https://twitter.com/eliaseliot/statu...79393549488133
Old 08-06-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

He is not wrong, Disney hired him knowing about his past. I remember when Gunn also got in a bit of hot water over that gamergate brouhahaha a few years back (something about Gunn dissing female gamers), but he did his mea culpas and Disney loved his work on the first two Guardians and his suggestions/advice has been used by other film makers in the MCEU so yeah, I actually think this is a misstep from Disney and proof that a company should catch its breath (i.e., count to 10 first) before it goes into CYA mode.
Old 08-06-18, 01:34 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Clearly, he is looking to get fired too.

Dave Bautista says he has asked Marvel to release him from his contract over the studio’s firing of director James Gunn.

Speaking to Shortlist in his first interview since the controversial decision, Bautista, who plays Drax the Destroyer in the MCU, said he would be doing Gunn a “disservice” if he didn’t step away from the franchise.

The director was fired last month after alt-right activists unearthed a series of offensive tweets from several years ago.

“Nobody’s defending his tweets, but this was a smear campaign on a good man,” he said, speaking to ShortList’s Tom Ellen. “I spoke to Chris Pratt the day after it happened and he’s a bit religious so he wanted time to pray and figure it out, but I was more like: f*ck this. This is bullshit. James is one of the kindest, most decent people I’ve met.”

Bautista said Gunn had already turned in the script for Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3. A replacement director for the film, due to shoot early next year, has not yet been announced.

“Where I’m at right now is that if [Marvel] don’t use that script, then I’m going to ask them to release me from my contract, cut me out or recast me.

“I’d be doing James a disservice if I didn’t.”

Bautista echoed this sentiment on Twitter during the early hours of Monday when he tweeted: “I will do what i’m legally obligated to do but [Guardians] without [James Gunn] is not what I signed up for. GOTG w/o [James Gunn] just isn’t GOTG. It’s also pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis. That’s just how I feel. “

Last week Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Bradley Cooper were among the cast members of the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise to sign an open letter asking Gunn to be reinstated. According to sources at Disney it’s unlikely the the Gunn will be rehired, despite the backlash from the franchises A-list cast.

“I don’t think [it] will get him re-hired,” Bautista said. “But I hope it opens people’s eyes to James’ character.”

ShortList has reached out to Disney for comment and will update this article accordingly upon their response.

Bautista was speaking to ShortList ahead of the release of his film Final Score. The full interview will be in the September 6th issue of ShortList.

Final Score is in cinemas September 7th
https://www.shortlist.com/entertainm...twitter/368730

Last edited by dex14; 08-06-18 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Well, at lest it looks like they're using Gunn's script - doubt they'll be able to write a new one in time, what with all the moving parts of the Marvel Universe.
Old 08-06-18, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I applaud Bautista for taking some sort of a stand, especially since the other actors like Pratt and Saldana are bigger names that would have less difficulty finding other big acting roles.
Old 08-06-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Note: Drax died on his way back to his home planet

On a serious note, good for him, though.
Old 08-06-18, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I applaud Bautista for taking some sort of a stand, especially since the other actors like Pratt and Saldana are bigger names that would have less difficulty finding other big acting roles.
Agreed. I love the stance he is taking regarding this nonsense, and part of me really wishes some other members of the cast would take a similar hard-line stance (that said, I can't really judge, as I know they signed contracts and Disney could make their lives pretty difficult...But then again, would Disney really go to war with Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel, etc.? How would that look in the press?)...

I don't know what else to say, but props to Bautista, and I no it's unlikely, but I really hope Disney brings Gunn back into the fold...
Old 08-06-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
But they also have more to lose if they were to do this and it backfired on them.
Old 08-06-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Agreed. I love the stance he is taking regarding this nonsense, and part of me really wishes some other members of the cast would take a similar hard-line stance (that said, I can't really judge, as I know they signed contracts and Disney could make their lives pretty difficult...But then again, would Disney really go to war with Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel, etc.? How would that look in the press?)...

I don't know what else to say, but props to Bautista, and I no it's unlikely, but I really hope Disney brings Gunn back into the fold...
Even if they're at fault, I don't think Disney as a studio is going to back down to actors trying to blackmail them into making a decision they have every right to make, especially if the actors are under contract. Like if Affleck and co. said they were walking out of the DC cinematic universe if Snyder didn't come back (and if Snyder were some beloved director). It sets a bad precedent for the studios to allow actors to hold franchises hostage.

I would almost say it would be more likely that Gunn got reinstated if he hadn't done this, or had just done this behind the scenes or something.
Old 08-06-18, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, too. As for the notion of Disney suing the cast if they decided to walk, would Disney really want the PR hit that would come with such a lawsuit?

Also, as I've said before, we shouldn't let Disney or its defenders sweep the connection to Cernovich under the rug. Even if it doesn't bring Gunn back, we should hammer Disney - and those who support their decision - as often as possible with the fact that they essentially sided with a unrepentant rape apologist and professional character assassin.
Old 08-06-18, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig
Even if they're at fault, I don't think Disney as a studio is going to back down to actors trying to blackmail them into making a decision they have every right to make, especially if the actors are under contract. Like if Affleck and co. said they were walking out of the DC cinematic universe if Snyder didn't come back (and if Snyder were some beloved director). It sets a bad precedent for the studios to allow actors to hold franchises hostage.

I would almost say it would be more likely that Gunn got reinstated if he hadn't done this, or had just done this behind the scenes or something.
What do you think of the precedent Disney set by allowing the man behind Pizzagate to hold their franchises hostage?
Old 08-06-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The Mouse has a long memory and carries a mean grudge. Bautista is showing real stones here. Good for him.
Old 08-06-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GhostLee
What do you think of the precedent Disney set by allowing the man behind Pizzagate to hold their franchises hostage?
Then fans can and should boycott the movie.
Old 08-06-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts

I for one will be making a point to go see, support, etc. anything that Batista is in from here on out. That's a good man.
Old 08-06-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I'd be more than happy to boycott. Too bad Gunn already handed in the first draft.
Old 08-06-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
But they also have more to lose if they were to do this and it backfired on them.
Maybe, I just don't think it's as likely. Seems easier to stop casting a somewhat up and coming supporting actor like Bautista (who I do like a lot), then a headlining leading actor.

Definitely. I wouldn't judge the actors or anyone else involved for not doing the same, and I still don't necessarily blame Disney. I just think its cool to see Bautista speak out so vocally and honestly on Gunn's behalf and the situation.
Old 08-06-18, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Good for Bautista sticking to his convictions. We need more good people like him.
Old 08-06-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Even if they're at fault, I don't think Disney as a studio is going to back down to actors trying to blackmail them into making a decision they have every right to make, especially if the actors are under contract.
But Disney will let the #PizzaGate crowd to blackmail them.
Old 08-06-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Had Disney done what AMC did with the Hardwick case, maybe it would have gone differently? But they pulled the trigger, fired Gunn and put themselves in a no-win situation.
Old 08-06-18, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Had Disney done what AMC did with the Hardwick case, maybe it would have gone differently? But they pulled the trigger, fired Gunn and put themselves in a no-win situation.
That's the way all these cases should be handled. Solving everything by the court of public opinion is absurd.
Old 08-07-18, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I agree, although I think in Hardwick's case they should have investigated first before suspending him. I think it is weird how Disney handled this. It seemed like it was such a knee jerk reaction and not very calculated. But I understand why they did that but it seems like maybe offering some kind of statement and standing by the director for who he is now then who he was then would have been a more upstanding thing to do.

I wonder if Kevin Feige had any say in the matter or had anything to do with it.
Old 08-07-18, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's the way all these cases should be handled. Solving everything by the court of public opinion is absurd.
But as a publicly traded entertainment empire catering to families they really have to listen to the court of public opinion. They can't just be tone deaf and exist in a vacuum. Although in this specific case I think they were trying to head it off from it going to the court of public opinion by firing him first, which is where I think they made the mistake. I think they should have let it play out for a little bit to see how the public reacted to it before making a decision.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.