Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 02:02 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

James Gunn
Facebook Mentions

Well, this week we start the U.S. press junket, before traveling to Europe at the end of the week. Of course I know some of the questions that come up a lot – “Wasn’t there a lot more pressure dealing with the sequel of a beloved film?” (No, there was less, because this time I knew there was an audience waiting to see it!) and, “What was it like working with Kurt Russell and Sylvester Stallone?” (Daunting and at times overwhelming – I ran around in my backyard as a kid pretending to be Snake Plissken and John Rambo, so these guys are true icons to me.)

But the question that comes up perhaps the most is, “What’s the deal with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, and are you going to direct?”

Before I was able to honestly answer this, I needed to know it was, in my heart, what I truly felt called to do. There is a history in Hollywood of haphazard endings to trilogies, and I didn’t want to become a part of that dishonorable tradition of pretending the third one doesn’t exist. I couldn’t do it for the money, and I couldn’t do it because it was what other people wanted me to do. I needed to do it because it was what I needed to do. I have never made choices in my career based on anything other than passion and love for the stories and characters, and I didn’t want to start now.

So, after many months of ruminations and discussions, I know the answer. I could save this answer for the first, random interviewer to ask me during the press junket but instead I thought I’d share it with the most important people in the Guardiansverse – you, the fans, who have been so incredibly supportive and enthusiastic over the past five years, it has moved me to tears on a regular basis.

So, yes, I’m returning to write and direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

In the end, my love for Rocket, Groot, Gamora, Star-Lord, Yondu, Mantis, Drax, and Nebula – and some of the other forthcoming heroes – goes deeper than you guys can possibly imagine, and I feel they have more adventures to go on and things to learn about themselves and the wonderful and sometimes terrifying universe we all inhabit. And, like in both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, we will work on creating the story that goes beyond what you expect.

My partnership with the folks at Marvel Studios – Kevin Feige, Lou D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, and Jonathan Schwartz – has been the best of my professional career, and is a huge contributing factor to my decision – as is my relationship to the guys at Disney Studios – Bob Iger, Alan Horn, and Alan Bergman – who have been cheerleading innovation and the pure love of movies from the start. This is the kind of thing you’d expect a director to say about the people who have just hired him, but people who know me know I would never put up working with people I don’t like for a single movie, much less two, and much, much less three. I love them all and appreciate immensely their collaboration. I wake up every day pinching myself that they’d allow this punk rock kid from Missouri to help create this wonderful universe, and to not only allow but encourage creative freedom while doing so.

I can’t fricking wait to get started.

Much of what’s happened in the MCU for the past ten or so years has been leading, in a big way, to the Avengers’ Infinity War. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will happen after all that. It will conclude the story of this iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and help catapult both old and new Marvel characters into the next ten years and beyond. I will be working side-by-side with Kevin Feige and the gang to help design where these stories go, and make sure the future of the Marvel Cosmic Universe is as special and authentic and magical as what we have created so far.

I promise you, the fans, I’ll do it all with integrity and love and respect for the characters.

Make mine Marvel.

We are Groot.

Excelsior!

Love,

James
I would guess this will come out on the May 1st, 2020 date Marvel staked out already.
Old 04-17-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Old 04-17-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Just saw his Facebook post. Very excited he'll do Vol 3
Old 04-17-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No complaints here. I haven't even seen Vol. 2 and haven't been watching any marketing since the 2nd trailer.
Old 04-17-17, 04:01 PM

It'll be nice that a director sees through on a trilogy for once within the MCU.
Old 04-18-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gunn is one of the few MCU directors I'd want to see complete a trilogy. I've been a fan since Tromeo & Juliet.
Old 09-16-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

James Gunn did an Instagram Live yesterday morning. Someone asked when Vol 3 will come out. He said "about three years." He's been in the middle of writing it. He's pretty good about keeping fans informed about the progress, so I suggest following him, if interested.
Old 09-16-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I hope this is secretly a sequel for Slither.

Not really, but why not.
Old 09-16-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Loved Slither. I think he's said he would like to do a sequel.
Old 02-26-18, 10:25 AM

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Old 02-26-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Do people actually think that Hamill is a good actor? I've always just sort of accepted him sine he is Luke Skywalker, but I've never really been impressed by any of his performances.
Old 02-26-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If it happens, might be a small role. He's been writing the film for a while.
Old 02-26-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Given the number of cameos in Vol 2, I wouldn't mind Hamil in one of those roles.
Old 06-25-18, 02:02 PM

Pretty much confirming what was already guessed... this will be the May 2020 slot.

Collider’s Christina Radish recently spoke with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige in a 1:1 interview at the press day for Ant-Man and the Wasp, and when asked about the status of Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Feige said they have a script and a rough filming date:

“[Writer/director] James [Gunn] has delivered a draft and we begin official pre-production on that very, very soon. It’ll be shooting early next year. Captain Marvel finishes in about two weeks, Spider-Man starts in about two weeks, and then Guardians 3 will start early next year.”
Old 06-25-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I look forward to the further adventures of
Spoiler:
Rocket and Nebula
Old 06-25-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

First set photo released

Spoiler:
Old 07-20-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Not a huge surprise. Disney has fired Gunn after his Twitter controversy:

https://deadline.com/2018/07/james-g...ts-1202430392/
Old 07-20-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Fired him from the whole project or just from the directing chair?
Old 07-20-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

He gone.

James Gunn is exiting Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

The move comes after conservative personalities resurfaced old tweets in which the filmmaker joked about controversial topics such as pedophelia and rape. Gunn, who has been an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump, has since deleted his Twitter account.

"The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him," said Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn in a statement.

Before deleting his account, Gunn tweeted, "Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor."

Gunn has been writing the script for Guardians 3, and the movie was expected to begin shooting in Atlanta in the fall for an expected 2020 release date. The Guardians movies have been a massive success for Disney and Marvel. The first movie made more than $773 million worldwide while the second made $863 million. The films stood out from other Marvel movies as they were infused with Gunn's off-kilter filmmaking sensibilities that owed more to indie genre movies than slicker cookie cutter studio fare.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-vol-3-1128786
Old 07-20-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dumb.
Old 07-20-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Wow.
Old 07-20-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

We can tolerate rape and rape jokes from the president but not bad jokes on Twitter.

Old 07-20-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Oh, man, that sucks...but those tweets were pretty bad. I don't know, I kind of have mixed thoughts on him being fired for them, but I'm having difficulty expressing it coherently, so I'll just leave it at that.
Old 07-20-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Dumb.
Have you read those tweets? Even joking, they're not good...

Spoiler:

And there are several more.

https://www.cernovich.com/james-gunn...eleted-tweets/

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Oh, man, that sucks...but those tweets were pretty bad. I don't know, I kind of have mixed thoughts on him being fired for them, but I'm having difficulty expressing it coherently, so I'll just leave it at that.
When you have Gunn's tweets about, well see above, not sure what other choice they had... It stinks for sure as I loved the first GOTG but IDK, why even joke about something like that?
Old 07-20-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh, You hire a guy that worked with Troma, you're going to get some off color comments. That does remind me that pedo jokes were a thing for a while, and it was weird.

Gunn should have been smart enough to nuke that stuff, though I assume it's cached somewhere regardless. Then again, I still think Twitter is shit and people should stay off it regardless.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.