Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Silver & Black -- Spider-Man universe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 06:25 PM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts

The studio, already in deep development on villain offshoot Venom, is now developing a feature project centered on the female characters Silver Sable and the Black Cat.

Chris Yost, who worked on the upcoming Marvel movie Thor: Ragnarok, is writing the script, building on a previous version written by Lisa Joy, the co-creator of HBO’s Westworld.

The studio is hoping to go to directors soon with an eye toward a fall start date. Matt Tolmach and Amy Pascal are producing the project, which was previously known as the "secret female spinoff project."

Silver Sable, created by Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz in 1985, is a mercenary who runs a company that hunts war criminals. The character has been both antagonist and ally to Spider-Man.

Black Cat, an acrobatic cat burglar whose real name is Felicia Hardy, has a long and tangled romantic history with Spider-Man in the comics. The character was cut from scripts for the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy, and a "Felicia Hardy" (played by Felicity Jones) briefly appeared in Amazing Spider-Man 2, though no Black Cat connection was ever made explicit.

Sony has a new and rebooted Spider-Man movie coming this summer, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and the superhero and his universe of characters are seen as a bright spot on a rather meager slate. But the problem with having rights to the character and universe is that, while Spider-Man is the most popular Marvel character, the other standouts tend to be the villains from his rogue’s gallery.

Hence, Sony is developing Venom, based on the popular character who already appeared onscreen in Raimi’s Spider-Man 3 and who has sometimes acted as an antihero in the Marvel comics. The studio has penciled in an October 2018 release and is meeting directors on the project.

Black Cat is a major supporting character in the Spider-Man universe, though Sable is less known.

(The spinoffs are not offshoots from the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming but rather projects spun from the overall franchise and based on Marvel's Spider-Man universe.)

Yost has deep Marvel ties, having worked on not only two Thor movies, but also having gotten his start writing on Marvel animated series such as Wolverine and the X-Men. He is also known for comic book work on X-23, better known as Wolverine’s cloned daughter who is a headliner in the hit Wolverine movie Logan.

Yost is repped by Verve.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...t-movie-988065
Old 03-22-17, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 872 Likes on 635 Posts
re: Silver & Black (2019, D: Prince-Bythewood)

Not sure why they want to keep them out of a Spidey crossover, makes no sense when that's where they should be introduced.
Old 03-22-17, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something tells me audiences are going to get confused over what seems to be 2 versions of Spider-Man going on at the same time. The MCU related Spidey and the apparent alternate universe where all these Sony films will take place.

Sony should just sell back the Spider-Man rights to Marvel with the deal that they put up some of the production $$ and get a % of the profits. Let Marvel create a cohesive Spider-Man universe that meshes up with the regular MCU

Last edited by resinrats; 03-22-17 at 08:03 PM. Reason: fixed studio name
Old 03-22-17, 07:54 PM

^^^ Sony, not Fox.
Old 03-22-17, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 893 Likes on 417 Posts

I doubt that Marvel is really interested in making movies like this or Venom.
Old 03-22-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,232 Likes on 960 Posts

Yeah Sony is fucking up a good thing. They pretty much just need to sit back and let Marvel do their thing and they'd still profit but they just have to do stupid shit. At least with Venom I can kind of see their angle of wanting to capitalize on a popular character (even though I still think it's a mistake to do without the guidance of Marvel and outside the new MCU Holland Spider-Man) but we really need solo Silver Sable and Black Cat movies? It's bone headed decisions like this that have led to the problems they have. I can't imagine that either of these characters are going to do huge numbers and it's very likely to just leave audiences confused about what's what and could potentially be damaging to the MCU.

If I was Marvel I wouldn't be very happy about helping out a rival studio only to have said studio turn around and screw things up yet again.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I doubt that Marvel is really interested in making movies like this or Venom.
The thing is they aren't really necessary as solo films in my opinion. Using these characters in a future Spider-Man film would be one thing but who's really clamoring for a Silver Sable or Black Cat film? Hell even Venom as popular a character as he is I don't know will do that great if it's just a solo film with no Spidey involved. If Sony is going to attempt to add another non Holland version of Spider-Man I have to think the results are going to be a disastrous clusterfuck.
Old 05-25-17, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

MAY 25, 2017 9:00am PT by Borys Kit
'Spider-Man' Spinoff: Silver Sable, Black Cat Movie Finds Director with 'Secret Life of Bees' Filmmaker (Exclusive)

'Silver and Black' has an October 2018 release date.

Gina Prince-Bythewood, who wrote and directed The Secret Life of Bees, will direct Silver and Black, Sony’s Spider-Man offshoot that centers on characters Silver Sable and the Black Cat.

Matt Tolmach and Amy Pascal are producing the project, which has an October 2018 release date and is planning for a fall start.

Chris Yost, who worked on the upcoming Marvel movie Thor: Ragnarok, is writing the most recent draft. Lisa Joy, the co-creator of HBO’s Westworld, also worked on the script.

Silver Sable, created by Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz in 1985, is a mercenary who runs a company that hunts war criminals. The character has been both antagonist and ally to Spider-Man.

Black Cat, an acrobatic cat burglar whose real name is Felicia Hardy, has a long and tangled romantic history with Spider-Man in the comics. The character was cut from scripts for the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy, and a "Felicia Hardy" (played by Felicity Jones) briefly appeared in Amazing Spider-Man 2, though no Black Cat connection was ever made explicit.

Sony is rebooting Spider-Man this summer with Spider-Man: Homecoming, and hopes to launch a slate of Spider-Man related movies. The first project, Venom, is already off and running, having snagged Tom Hardy as star and Ruben Fleischer as director. While Spider-Man is firmly in Marvel’s cinematic universe, Sony’s offshoots will stand apart.

Prince-Bythewood won acclaim and awards with her feature debut, the 2000 drama Love and Basketball. The writer-director has had her feet mostly planted in the drama world and on top of helming Secret Life of Bees also directed the romantic drama Beyond the Lights, which starred Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Nate Parker.

She co-created the crime drama Shots Fired, which is currently airing on Fox, and is due to direct the pilot for Cloak & Dagger, Freeform’s television series based on the Marvel Comics teen heroes.

Prince-Bythewood is repped by CAA and Del Shaw.
With that title.. I can't wait for a bunch of dudes to be disappointed it's not about the Oakland Raiders.
Old 05-26-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What a lame title. Sounds about as generic as you can get and gives no indication about what the film is. I doubt most people would even know this is related to anything Marvel other than seeing the card during the trailers or start of the film.
Old 05-26-17, 12:50 PM

It was announced yesterday that Gina Prince-Bythewood (The Secret Life of Bees) will be directing the Spider-Man offshoot Silver and Black for Sony. It centers on Silver Sable and the Black Cat. It’s the second film announced in the Marvel/Sony owned universe after Venom. Christopher Yost (Thor: The Dark World) wrote the screenplay.

I received a hot tip from one of my sources concerning the Silver and Black project:

“Here are some details about the story: Seven years after Mendel Stromm (a.k.a. Robot Master) and his two henchmen (The Scorpion and The Tarantula) killed her father, Silver Sable is hired by the government to find Felicia Hardy. The Black Cat, a master hacker and thief, has apparently stolen valuable secret information. She’s hiding in the lawless and dangerous triple frontier area between Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil.

Once there, Sable ask her old contact Dmitri Smerdyakov (a.k.a. The Chameleon) to locate her. But it seems, the government are not the only ones looking for the Black Cat. It seems Felicia had made a deal Stromm to save her father from a Russian prison and she’s been genetically enhanced. Now, the mad scientist wants his prized experiment back because his financier (cough Norman Osborn cough) wants a return on his investment.

There’s no appearance or mention of Peter Parker or Spider-Man.

Also in the story: Dominic Fortune, Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman), Roxxon Oil, Sergei Kravinoff (Kraven the Hunter), Lonnie Lincoln (Tombstone) and Charles Standish.”

(Scoop sent in by Colonel George Dillon)
http://splashreport.com/silver-and-black-story-details/
Old 05-26-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

What Sony should do is treat the peripheral Spider-Man films like Marvel treats it TV series. They're connected, but everything flows one way (movies to TV, never TV to movies). So Spider-Man might be able to have an impact on these side films, but nothing in them will affect Spider-Man (and by extension the MCU).
Old 06-02-17, 12:25 PM

Our source who dropped details about Silver and Black is back with a glimpse into the future of the Sony/Marvel Universe:

“With Wonder Woman opening this week, it’s a pretty good bet Sony is taking universe building tips from Warner/DC. Why?

Silver and Black is the setup for an all female Spidey-verse team movie. It ends with Silver Sable (a la Nick Fury) rounding up a team of The Black Cat, Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman), Charlotte Witter (Stunner), Sarah Ehret (Jackpot) and Cassie St. Commons (Dusk).”

(Scoop sent in by Colonel George Dillon)
http://splashreport.com/exclusive-gl...rvel-universe/
Old 06-02-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It will be kind of weird to see so many characters directly associated with Spider-Man not spin off from one of his movies first, but I'm down with it if it means introducing a lot of supporting heroes and villains for something bigger down the road.
Old 06-18-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All I can say is awesome news. Glad that Sony isn't attempting these as stand alone spinoff films. Way more excited about them now.
Sony Confirms Spider-Man Spinoffs Will Tie To MCU

| June 18, 2017
Ever since Spider-Man made the jump to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in last year's Captain America: Civil War, fans wondered which characters from the expansive Spider-verse would follow suit.

Those hopes were slightly dashed with the announcement that Sony's two planned Spider-Man spinoffs, Venom and Silver & Black, would establish their own universe separate from the MCU.

But now, that appears to not be the case.

While being interviewed by FilmStarts for Spider-Man: Homecoming, Sony's Amy Pascal revealed that Sony's Marvel Universe of films will, in fact, exist in the same universe as the MCU.

"Both movies will now take place in the world that we are creating for Peter Parker." Pascal explained. "They'll be adjuncts to it, they may be different locations, but it will still all be in the same world. And they will be connected to each other as well."

When asked if that meant that Peter Parker himself, Tom Holland, would appear in Sony's spinoff films, Pascal offered a pretty optimistic tease.

"There's always a chance. I think one of the things that Kevin has done with Marvel that's so brilliant, is bringing the fans along, and making each movie feel like a chapter in a book. That you have to read that chapter in order to go forward. And I think the investment that fans get to feel in being part of a larger story and understanding what's happening, is something that I know Sony would want to emulate."

This news comes after recent pre-production updates about both Venom and Silver & Black, suggesting that an extended Spider-Verse isn't that far away. Venom - which is slated for a 2018 release - will be directed by Zombieland's Ruben Fleischer, and will star Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock.

Silver & Black, which will follow the female villains Silver Sable and Black Cat, recently found a director in Gina Prince-Blythewood, who directed the pilot of Marvel's Cloak & Dagger.

This confirmation that the films are connected is sure to surprise fans, especially after Marvel Studios exec Kevin Feige's recent statements seemed to directly counteract this idea. But nevertheless, it's sure to excite those who have been eagerly anticipating an extended live-action Spider-Verse.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/06/...enom-connected
Old 06-18-17, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,160 Likes on 951 Posts

If they cast hot women in these roles, I'll see it.
Old 06-18-17, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
All I can say is awesome news. Glad that Sony isn't attempting these as stand alone spinoff films. Way more excited about them now.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/06/...enom-connected
I had read that that's not entirely accurate. Apparently while Spider-Man can appear in the Sony MCU, Venom, Black Cat, etc won't appear in the Disney MCU movies.
Old 06-19-17, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They don't necessarily need to though so I guess that doesn't really bother me. I'm sure if they're working together and Marvel Studios really wanted to use a character from the Sony Spidey MCU that they could work something out. At least this way both studios have access to using the same version of Spidey and there's some ties between the two universes rather than Sony attempting to do their spinoffs as completely separate entities.
Old 08-11-17, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sony Slots ‘Silver and Black’ for Feb. 2019
Film Reporter @krolljvar
AUGUST 11, 2017 | 04:37PM PT

Sony has set its “Spider-Man” spin-off “Silver and Black” for Feb. 8, 2019.

Gina Prince-Bythewood is directing and will also rewrite the script penned by “Thor: Ragnarok” scribe Chris Yost. A previous draft was written by “Westworld” co-creator Lisa Joy. Matt Tolmach and Amy Pascal are producing the project.

In the comic books, Silver Sable is a mercenary who runs a company that hunts war criminals. Black Cat is burglar named Felicia Hardy, who briefly appeared in “The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” played by Felicity Jones. While both characters exist in Marvel’s Spider-Man universe, Prince-Bythewood’s film will not be a crossover with the web-slinger.
Old 08-11-17, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

Could not care less about "Sony's Marvel Universe" or w/e the hell its called.
Old 08-11-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know I'll probably end up seeing them at some point but yeah I'm not excited for this or the Venom film at all. I just don't see why Sony thinks they're necessary. I guess at least Venom is marketable to a degree but this one has been a head scratcher all along. Seems like a weird move to do a film out of two characters who aren't widely known at all without introducing them as part of the Spider-Man universe officially. Just because it's branded Marvel doesn't mean it's going to do well.
Old 02-13-18, 06:00 PM

'Captain Marvel,' 'Chaos Walking' Writers Tackling Silver Sable/Black Cat Movie (Exclusive)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...edium=referral

This must be a fairly grounded and not CGI heavy movie if they plan on still releasing next February.
Old 02-13-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 842 Likes on 687 Posts
re: Silver & Black (D: Prince-Bythewood)

A movie about the Raiders lol?
Old 06-01-18, 12:03 PM

re: Silver & Black (D: Prince-Bythewood)

Silver & Black will no longer be hitting theaters Feb. 8, 2019.

Sony has pulled the Spider-Man spinoff from the calendar and is said to be searching for another date for the film.

Silver & Black is to center on the Spider-Man characters Silver Sable and Black Cat and to be directed by The Secret Life of Bees filmmaker Gina Prince-Bythewood. No casting has been made for the characters, so it has been presumed the film would not be ready by February.

Silver Sable was first introduced in 1985 and was created by Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz. She's a mercenary who runs a company that hunts war criminals. Black Cat (real name: Felicia Hardy) is an acrobatic cat burglar created by Marv Wolfman and Dave Cockrum in 1979.

The most recent draft for Silver & Black comes from Lindsey Beer and Geneva Robertson-Dworet. While doing press this week for the Freeform/Marvel series Cloak & Dagger, Prince-Bythewood indicated the Silver & Black team was currently focusing on the script.

Silver & Black is one of several projects Sony has in the works based on the Spider-Man pool of characters the studio has rights to through a deal with Marvel. Venom, starring Tom Hardy, opens Oct. 5, while other projects are in various stages of development, including Nightwatch (with Spike Lee having expressed interest) and a Morbius the Living Vampire movie.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...e-date-1116361
Old 06-01-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Silver & Black -- Spider-Man universe

I also think we're scared that Venom will underperform. (And rightly so...)
Old 06-01-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just axe the thing. No one is going to care without having ties to Spider-Man.
Old 06-01-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 807 Likes on 487 Posts

This was such a boneheaded idea from the get-go, it hardly abides the telling.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.