Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Battle of the franchises: Resident Evil or Underworld

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which franchise do you prefer?
Underworld
11.54%
Resident Evil
46.15%
Both are equal.
23.08%
Both never should have made it past one movie.
19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Battle of the franchises: Resident Evil or Underworld

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 08:34 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Best Resident Evil and Underworld Film ?

The Resident Evil and Underworld series are two examples of series i enjoyed watching , vampires, werewolves, zombies, weapons, violence, all in my wheelhouse

but if i'm honest, i couldn't recall off the top of my head the different movies in each series. They are all so similar

what do you think is the best film in each series ?
Old 03-03-15, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 379 Likes on 270 Posts
Re: Best Resident Evil and Underworld Film ?

I never liked the Underworld movies.

My favorite part of the Resident Evil universe is Umbrella's technology. It's very overwhelming for the characters.

Resident Evil #3 and #4 were my favorites. #5 was barely a film! Very frustrating. Good music, though.
Old 03-03-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

Extinction is my favorite of the Resident Evils.
Haven't seen all of the Underworld's so I will refrain from choosing one of those.
Old 03-03-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 647 Likes on 497 Posts

I love the Mad Max vibe of RE:E. The 5th had elements I liked (perfect casting for Barry and Rain 2.0 as a Suzie Homemaker type) but it was very scattershot. And the obvious dubbing of Li Bingbing with another actress was incredibly distracting.

As for Underworld, I don't think I can categorize any as being the best in that franchise (although the third one had the absolute best acting in the series, thanks to being headlined by Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy) but I can tell you that the fourth movie is the absolute worst in the series. In fact, it feels more like a pilot for a lousy TV series.
Old 03-03-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

RESIDENT EVIL UNDERWORLD...I'd see that.
Old 03-03-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
RESIDENT EVIL UNDERWORLD...I'd see that.
Mila Jovovich versus Kate Beckinsale?

Old 03-03-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

I like the Underworld franchise fine, but I've only seen the first two movies once each and don't really need to watch more. I've seen most of the REs and the first few more than once, but I can't really recall which ones were which.
Old 03-03-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,031 Likes on 817 Posts

Never got into Underworld.

Resident Evil and Resident Evil Extinction are the only two I like in the other franchise.
Old 03-03-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The first and third Resident Evil movies are ok, but I liked the third one in the desert the best. The second was garbage. 4 and 5 were CGI action fests that were watchable.

Only saw the first Underworld.
Old 03-03-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 203 Posts

This is the only one any good not sure where it falls in the series. Underworld blah blind bought the first one on DVD and was done.
Old 03-03-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

Honestly I probably wouldn't have watched even one Underworld if it had starred Melissa McCarthy in black leather instead of Kate Beckinsale.
Old 03-03-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer

This is the only one any good not sure where it falls in the series.
It's the third one released.

Russell Mulcahy (Highlander, Highlander 2) directed it. I wish he'd do one more.
Old 03-03-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I stopped liking Underworld after part 2, same with Resident Evil. Which is a shame because I love the game series so much that I was very accepting of where the first movie fit in the game's timeline (before it's prequel game RE Zero) and despite the bad movie trailer, I was excited.

RE2 get's a lot of things wrong, but I forgive almost all of it because of Sienna Guillory as Jill. It was clear by this movie they were trying to build their own story without directly taking from the game's events...but the ending was a little more than upsetting.

Spoiler:
the hand to hand fighting with Nemesis...just...no...no no no no

The third movie lost me altogether, and even though they introduced another character from the game, it was too late for me. The T-Virus in the games has no effect on the landscape...or the oceans. Not to mention by the fourth movie, it seems they retconned that story element just to have it make sense that the movie ends on a boat in the ocean.

George Romero was asked to originally direct an RE movie based on his commercials for the second game...

Sadly one of the guys in charge at Capcom described Romero's script as "no good" so he ended up being fired from the project. A poster was made by a fan when the project was announced, and the tag line was used in the official poster.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-posters/resident-evil

http://www.biohaze.com/specials/removie.html#

Romero's script is online and a lot of fans (myself included) want to see it get made, these guys went as far as creating a intro to the movie.

Old 03-03-15, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I own the first 3 RE films, and like the first the best. Never really got past 2. Though I have Afterlife in my Amazon Video Library. Only seen the first 2 Underworlds, so don't want to comment on those.
Old 03-03-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have had George Romero's script for years and have yet to read it.

EDIT: Watching those commercials, I have no idea what Capcom saw in Romero other than his name recognition. Those are horrible. And I say that as a fan of his early output.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-03-15 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-03-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I have had George Romero's script for years and have yet to read it.
That script while not a perfect representation of the source, is 99.99% closer than any of the five live action movies made about RE.
Old 03-03-15, 02:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Don't even have to read the movie titles to always answer this question correctly: the first one.
Old 03-03-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly one of the guys in charge at Capcom described Romero's script as "no good" so he ended up being fired from the project. A poster was made by a fan when the project was announced, and the tag line was used in the official poster.
Well to be fair Capcom did give the OK for great movies like Street Fighter and Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li. Oh wait. I always liked Romero's script and while it wasn't perfect I'll never understand why they said it was garbage but went with Andeson's lame generic zombie movie script.

But anyway I never saw any of the Underworld movies but own them all. I've seen all the Resident Evil movies but I can't tell you anything about any of them other than the first two. I think it was a huge mistake to keep the movies revolving around the Alice character and not going in a different direction.
Old 03-03-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by robin2099
Well to be fair Capcom did give the OK for great movies like Street Fighter and Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li. Oh wait. I always liked Romero's script and while it wasn't perfect I'll never understand why they said it was garbage but went with Andeson's lame generic zombie movie script.

But anyway I never saw any of the Underworld movies but own them all. I've seen all the Resident Evil movies but I can't tell you anything about any of them other than the first two. I think it was a huge mistake to keep the movies revolving around the Alice character and not going in a different direction.
Capcom (movie wise) has stepped up their game. They know fans want BETTER versions of what came before. The recent Street Fighter Assassin's Fist was a passion project for the team involved. It started with this...

and led to the YouTube series, that later was brought out on BluRay as a complete film...

So given the recent success, Capcom and Crackle are releasing (March 27) for free on their site a movie based on Dead Rising.

I'm not too worried about this being "good" or "serious" as Dead Rising is very tongue and cheek...well at least it started semi-serious. There is still a 6th RE movie being made and I hope and pray that it means the end of those movies.
Old 03-04-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Resident Evil will always be one of my favorites. Mainly because it was the first date my wife and I went on

The first and last Underworld movies are pretty good too
Old 03-04-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Best underworld film is the first one. Followed by the second, then third and so on.
Old 03-04-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by antspawn
Best underworld film is the first one. Followed by the second, then third and so on.
If the third lived up to the scope promised in the prologue of the second, it would easily be the best. As it is, I think it's even with the first. The second is a fun chase movie in parts and has elements I like (Alexander Corvinus and the aforementioned prologue) but it feels somewhat hollow. I remember Wiseman promised a director's cut to the second but never delivered. Then again, he hinted at a director's cut of the first in the audio commentary of its extended cut but didn't deliver either.
Old 03-04-15, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

I like R4 the best followed by R2 - the BD's are reference. I like the director's cut of U1 but I also really like U2. U4 killed the franchise, though. It was an obvious cash grab and that's it.
Old 03-04-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I like the director's cut of U1
You mean the extended cut. Wiseman directly stated in the audio commentary that his true director's cut falls somewhere between the TC and the EC.
Old 03-04-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
You mean the extended cut. Wiseman directly stated in the audio commentary that his true director's cut falls somewhere between the TC and the EC.
Oh. Yeah, that one. No, I didn't know that. He should focus on putting that one out. I guess he's pretty much made it now, so he doesn't have to do shit anymore - hell, he's banging Kate Beckinsale, so he's set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.