Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Little Shop of Horrors (D: Greg Berlanti)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Little Shop of Horrors (D: Greg Berlanti)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: Little Shop of Horrors (D: Greg Berlanti)

I'm still confused why anyone would remake it. It exists and it's perfect.
Has there been a remake of a movie musical released as a theatrical motion picture in the past 25-30 years? Hell, ever?

Edit : Answering my own question here : Annie (2014). That should have been enough to convince every studio in Hollywood to never do one again. And that was a remake of a TERRIBLE movie musical.

Last edited by Decker; 08-03-17 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-11-19, 03:23 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

After winning an Emmy for the FX series Pose, Billy Porter has Hollywood at his feet, and sources tell Collider that not only is he in talks to join Sony’s new Cinderella movie, but he’s also being eyed to voice the man-eating plant Audrey II in Warner Bros.’ new feature adaptation of Little Shop of Horrors.

Let’s start with Little Shop, since that’s the bigger news — though to be clear, it remains unconfirmed at this time. Nearly three years ago, it was announced that Warner Bros. had tapped Greg Berlanti to direct a new musical version of Little Shop of Horrors, with Matthew Robinson set to write the script. Over the years, I’d heard all kinds of casting rumors for Seymour — Ben Platt, Harry Styles, Zac Efron, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and lately there was some chatter about Lady Gaga playing Audrey (depending on who plays the male lead), but I’d never heard anyone linked to the Audrey II voice role.

There haven’t really been any major updates since that December 2016 announcement — until, that is, Little Shop of Horrors was revealed as one of the recipients of California’s Film & Television Tax Credit Program. You don’t apply for tax credits unless you plan to put a project into production. WB also applied for tax breaks on its Will Smith movie King Richard and Sherlock Holmes 3, the latter of which received a nearly $21 million credit because it will create so many jobs and spend millions of dollars in the state.

The point is that Little Shop of Horrors is in WB’s immediate plans, and while the casting of Seymour and Audrey is up in the air, the studio has set its sights on Porter to voice the killer plant known as Audrey II. I don’t know whether Porter has an actual offer yet, but I understand that overtures have been made, though other performers surely remain in the mix. It is a voice role though, so the job wouldn’t be too taxing on Porter’s already busy schedule.

Charles B. Griffith voiced ‘Audrey Jr.’ in the original 1960 movie directed by Roger Corman, while Levi Stubbs voiced Audrey II in Frank Oz‘s 1986 version starring Rick Moranis, Ellen Greene and Steve Martin as a nitrous oxide-addicted dentist — a role that Chris Evans has lobbied for in recent months.
https://collider.com/billy-porter-li...-ii-voice/?amp

Old 10-12-19, 09:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw it performed 4 or 5 years ago with Ellen Greene and Jake Gyllenhaal, and Taran Killam as the dentist. Gyllenhaal was not a very good singer.
Old 10-13-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm still confused why anyone would remake it. It exists and it's perfect.
Has there been a remake of a movie musical released as a theatrical motion picture in the past 25-30 years? Hell, ever?

Edit : Answering my own question here : Annie (2014). That should have been enough to convince every studio in Hollywood to never do one again. And that was a remake of a TERRIBLE movie musical.
2014 Annie is not a remake of 1982 Annie, and neither is the 1999 made for TV version. None of these considers the other film/tv versions as source material.

They're all simply different takes on the 1977 Broadway version.
Old 10-13-19, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
2014 Annie is not a remake of 1982 Annie, and neither is the 1999 made for TV version. None of these considers the other film/tv versions as source material.

They're all simply different takes on the 1977 Broadway version.
How is that any different than this Little Shop of Horrors film? Both are remakes of a Broadway musical. The main difference was that 1982 movie was awful while 86’s Little Shop was fantastic. Those are the only contemporary musical remakes (depending on how contemporary you consider West Side Story).
Old 10-13-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

They're not different. I was just counterpointing your quote "that was a remake of a TERRIBLE movie musical" because it was not a remake of a "movie musical." It was an adaptation of a Broadway musical.

If someone made a new Sherlock Holmes movie now. it would not be a remake of Robert Downey Jr movie; it would be a new version of an Arthur Conan Doyle book.
Old 10-14-19, 09:08 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by skywalker8
I saw it performed 4 or 5 years ago with Ellen Greene and Jake Gyllenhaal, and Taran Killam as the dentist. Gyllenhaal was not a very good singer.
Greene didn't play Audrey again, did she? she's like near 70 now...
Old 10-14-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ She did... and she looked great doing it:

Old 10-14-19, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Greene didn't play Audrey again, did she? she's like near 70 now...
She's 68 now which would've put her early 60s. You expected her to be wheelchair-bound? Jesus.

Originally Posted by joe_b
^ She did... and she looked great doing it:
Agreed.
Old 10-14-19, 11:45 PM

While I still don't think this needs to be remade, Ben Platt and Lady Gaga would be great casting choices.
Old 01-30-20, 07:09 AM

Fresh off his monumental win for Best Actor at this year’s Golden Globes ceremony, Taron Egerton may have just secured his next leading role. The Rocketman star is in talks for the upcoming remake of Alen Menken and Miles Goodman’s classic off-Broadway musical Little Shop of Horrors, Full Circle Cinema has learned.

Egerton would likely star as Seymour Krelborn, famously played by Rick Moranis in the 1986 film adaptation. Egerton previously played Krelborn in a regional production at the Aberystwyth Arts Centre Youth Theatre in Aberystwyth, Wales in 2007.

According to insider Jeff Snieder, Egerton could be joined by Scarlett Johannson and Billy Porter in the roles of Audrey and Audrey II, respectively. This will be the second time Little Shop of Horrors receives the reboot treatment as the 1986 version was a remake of the original 1960 film.
https://fullcirclecinema.com/2020/01...ake-exclusive/
Old 01-30-20, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Huh, okay. I wonder what ending they’ll go with.

I have the opening bars is LSOH tattooed on my forearm. Still my favorite musical. And hope to see it when I’m in NYC in a few weeks. As much as I love the 1986 movie, I’m okay with a new version. I’ve seen a lot of different stage versions over the years.

Last edited by Draven; 01-30-20 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-30-20, 08:45 AM

I like that potential cast.
Old 01-30-20, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Loved the Frank Oz movie, until they reshot the ending to please simpleton audiences who want "happy" endings. Here's hoping they keep the musical's original ending here.
Old 02-24-20, 04:10 PM

Evans name back in the mix:
https://deadline.com/2020/02/chris-e...ti-1202867171/
Old 02-24-20, 04:19 PM

Evans would have to play Dr Scrivello, not Seymour, right?

Edit : Just checked the link. That would be an excellent choice.
Old 02-25-20, 08:41 PM

Yea, I really dig this cast if it all pans out. Evans and Johansson are a great duo. I hope they continue to make movies together outside the MCU.