Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A question about My Fair Lady

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just watched this for the first time (weird). I really don't understand the following quote:

"Why should she die of influenza? She come through diphtheria right enough the year before. I saw her with my own eyes. Fairly blue with it, she was. They all thought she was dead; but my father he kept ladling gin down her throat til she came to so sudden that she bit the bowl off the spoon."

Did her father feed an unconscious woman gin to cure diphtheria? I get that Eliza was BSing, but the listeners seemed to understand the story.

Just in case this is a stupid question, here's a pic of Audrey Hepburn grocery shopping with a deer.

Old 11-14-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Re: A question about My Fair Lady

Yes, her mother had diphtheria and the father cured her by giving her spoonfuls of gin.

(I actually don't remember if the woman was Eliza's mother or not, but that seems likely)
Old 11-14-16, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Yet another alternative to routine vaccination!
Old 11-14-16, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Three Day Delay
I think the movie would have benefited from the inclusion of this scene...accompanied by a song about shopping with a deer.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-15-16 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-14-16, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I think the movie would have benefited from the inclusion of the scene you posted...and maybe a song about shopping with a deer.
Fair enough. The world is always better with photos of Audrey Hepburn.

Old 11-14-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I think the movie would have benefited from the inclusion of the scene you posted...and maybe a song about shopping with a deer.
The deer appeared with Audrey in the movie Green Mansions, and she kept it as a pet:
http://www.everythingaudrey.com/audr...n-deer-pippen/
Old 11-14-16, 10:07 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Serious answer: Alcohol was commonly thought to have medicinal use throughout most of history. Only recently have we realized this was bullshit. The dialogue is also suggesting that her parents are horrible alcoholics who wrongheadedly imbibed a ton of gin, because even back when people thought booze was medicinal they didn't suggest drinking a massive amount of it. It's also meant to illustrate how uncouth she is because talking about drunkenness was considered bad manners back then.

She's basically saying, "I'm a crazy street-walker/flower-girl. My parents are drunks, but I'm so naive I don't really realize it. We're also so dimwitted that we believe alcohol cures illness, and not only that we think copious amounts must be even better for you."

Also, Audrey Hepburn was smokin' hot. I'd ladle a spoon full of something down her throat.
Old 11-14-16, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Yeah, I love Audrey.
Old 11-14-16, 10:29 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, I love Audrey.
Possibly the only thing we agree on.
Old 11-14-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Serious answer: Alcohol was commonly thought to have medicinal use throughout most of history. Only recently have we realized this was bullshit. The dialogue is also suggesting that her parents are horrible alcoholics who wrongheadedly imbibed a ton of gin, because even back when people thought booze was medicinal they didn't suggest drinking a massive amount of it. It's also meant to illustrate how uncouth she is because talking about drunkenness was considered bad manners back then.

She's basically saying, "I'm a crazy street-walker/flower-girl. My parents are drunks, but I'm so naive I don't really realize it. We're also so dimwitted that we believe alcohol cures illness, and not only that we think copious amounts must be even better for you."

Also, Audrey Hepburn was smokin' hot. I'd ladle a spoon full of something down her throat.
I really appreciate this answer.
Old 11-15-16, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Serious answer: Alcohol was commonly thought to have medicinal use throughout most of history. Only recently have we realized this was bullshit.
I keep a bottle of Jack Daniel's in the cupboard for medicinal purposes. It works for me.
Old 11-15-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tequila works for me but the caveat is to not drink while actually sick. Gargle it for a sore throat and that shit will make your throat literally sizzle. It's crazy.
Old 11-15-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched this for the first time (weird). I really don't understand the following quote:

"Why should she die of influenza? She come through diphtheria right enough the year before. I saw her with my own eyes. Fairly blue with it, she was. They all thought she was dead; but my father he kept ladling gin down her throat til she came to so sudden that she bit the bowl off the spoon."

Did her father feed an unconscious woman gin to cure diphtheria? I get that Eliza was BSing, but the listeners seemed to understand the story.

I really appreciate this answer.
Nothing about the way you worded that suggests that you wanted a history lesson, just sayin'.
Old 11-15-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-15-16, 11:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Serious answer: Alcohol was commonly thought to have medicinal use throughout most of history. Only recently have we realized this was bullshit.
I keep a bottle of Jack Daniel's in the cupboard for medicinal purposes. It works for me.
Tequila works for me but the caveat is to not drink while actually sick. Gargle it for a sore throat and that shit will make your throat literally sizzle. It's crazy.
Dr. McCoy drinks Romulan ale (which is illegal), but only "for medicinal purposes" (Star Trek II:The Wrath of Khan).
Old 11-15-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where's the fun in that?
Old 11-15-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Where's the fun in that?

Drinking is funner when you're not sick. At least for me it is. If I'm sick I don't want alcohol mixing with medications.