Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best F(r)iends: Starring Greg Sestero and Tommy Wiseau

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-17-16, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep there back and reunited on screen for the first time in over fifteen years. Can't lie it kind of looks interesting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rZXdU3iuAyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-18-16, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Best F(r)iends: Starring Greg Sestero and Tommy Wiseau

I honestly don't know what to make of that trailer. I always assumed if Tommy Wiseau ended up in a film again, it would be a tongue and cheek, wink wink sort of affair where he's in on the joke (as much as he could be). This looks more like they told him it was a serious film and are trying to let his natural tendencies towards being a trainwreck help them catch lightning in a bottle again. Or, maybe it is a serious film, for everyone involved. I can't tell. Maybe the only way Sestero could get funding is if Wiseau was cast. I don't know. I'm baffled.
Old 02-23-18, 02:29 PM

Received 521 Likes on 367 Posts

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OTu9N40E_MI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW: http://BestFriends.Movie

In select theatres across the US:
VOLUME ONE | March 30 & April 2
VOLUME TWO | June 1 & 4

It has been 20 years since Greg Sestero first met Tommy Wiseau in an acting class, and 15 years since he helped Wiseau make The Room, the cult film widely regarded as the worst movie of all time. In 2013, Sestero wrote a memoir about the experience, The Disaster Artist, which last year was adapted by James Franco into an Oscar-nominated film. (Franco stars as Wiseau, and his brother Dave plays Sestero.) Now, the original duo is back with a new film—and this time, they are determined to be taken seriously.

Best F(r)iends, the first trailer for which you can watch exclusively above, is a Los Angeles noir thriller written and produced by Sestero and directed by Justin MacGregor (an independent Canadian filmmaker and an early fan of The Room).

The film stars Wiseau as a "peculiar" mortician who meets a drifter (played by Sestero) in Los Angeles. The two launch an underground enterprise, which quickly unravels (along with their friendship). They journey across the Southwest and meet a cast of mysterious characters—including The League's Paul Scheer, who also appeared in The Disaster Artist.

Based on the trailer, viewers should expect action, blood, money, romance and—most importantly—a lesson about friendship.

"I have a good story for you. A familiar story," says the voice of Wiseau, unmistakable by his broken, vaguely Eastern European accent. "One guy meet another in the big city. They have dream, but something change. Greed, hatred and jealousy. You understand the words?"

Sestero previously told Newsweek he wrote the film specifically to give Wiseau a serious acting role. "Any time after The Room, people would just hire him as a joke," he said. "Best F(r)iends is a chance for people to see him as a serious actor in a dramatic, experimental role." It's based, Sestero said, on a road trip he took with Wiseau in April 2003.

In a statement to Newsweek, Wiseau said he's excited for his fans to see him in something different. "I challenge myself as an actor, and I think audiences will get a nice surprise. After watching Best F(r)iends, your mind will find paradise."

The film will be released in two parts. "Volume 1" will play in 600 select theaters nationwide on March 30 and April 2, 2018. The second volume will play on June 1 and June 4. Tickets for both are on sale now. (A few lucky fans have already seen special test screenings of an earlier cut in London and Paris.)

In addition to Wisaeu, Sestero and Scheer, the film stars Vince Jolivette (Spring Breakers), Kristen StephensonPino and Rick Edwards. Daniel Platzman, the drummer of Imagine Dragons, composed the score. It's produced by Summit Pictures (Sestero's own production company, not to be confused with Summit Entertainment), Roguescots and VoVo Productions.
http://www.newsweek.com/tommy-wiseau...trailer-818245
Old 02-23-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw Volume 1 in London two weeks ago with Tommy and Greg. Admittedly the crowd was a bit biased, but it seemed like we all enjoyed it. Very different from The Room, and Tommy was funny differently than in The Room (read: intentionally). It's certainly worth a watch if you're into low budget odd noir.
Old 12-21-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

So what's the consensus on this? Sestero is in town next month for a showing of Vol 2, is 1 worth seeking out?
Old 02-07-19, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched both parts last night. Part One was an ok mystery/thriller. However Part Two is little more than an unnecessary epilogue that is a chore to watch. One thing is consistent: Wiseau is a baffling figure and his obsession with
Spoiler:
being the nicest guy who buys great things for his friends
in films is both charming and unsettling.