Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Aladdin (2019, D: Ritchie) S: Will Smith, Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Aladdin (2019, D: Ritchie) S: Will Smith, Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Disney's Aladdin (2019, D: Ritchie) S: Will Smith, Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott

Arabia
Old 09-17-19, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Disney's Aladdin (2019, D: Ritchie) S: Will Smith, Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott

Originally Posted by tanman
Can someone please answer something for me? I'm probably just stupid but where does Argrabah exist? Like what country would be it's real life counterpart? It's in the middle east right? But aren't there some Indian elements to the design and story? I mean in this remake they basically did a Bollywood number? But it's definitely a Muslim country based on them using Allah.
I like that you expect audiences to know (or care about) the difference.

Edit - i think they SHOULD care, but the reality is that they don't.
Old 09-22-19, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Nah...I don't suspect that anyone has really thought of it. They just think oh foreign country with no blonde people. I'm sure they have camels and tigers.
Old 09-23-19, 08:22 AM

Question for those that have seen the other Disney remakes. Are there any that are as good as Aladdin. I usually skip them because they seem so pointless. But maybe there is another one that its worth a look
Old 09-23-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

imo, Jungle Book is still their best remake. It feels similarly stagy to Aladdin but I found it enjoyable.
Old 09-23-19, 08:44 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

I think Cinderella was the best followed by The Jungle Book. I did not think Aladdin was very good.
Old 09-23-19, 05:03 PM

So far, i'd rank them (I think I've seen all of the recent ones except Dumbo and Alice Through the Looking Glass):

1) Pete's Dragon (if this counts, it's my favorite)
2) Cinderella (Was not just a straight remake, felt original)
3) The Jungle Book (fun movie, great voice work, great visuals)
4) Beauty and the Beast (I thought the cast overall was quite good)
5) Aladdin (Better than I expected)
6) The Lion King (Visually stunning, but zero originality) (4-6 are all pretty close for me)
7) Maleficent (still don't get why this movie was even made, neutered one of the best disney villains. AND a sequel?)

If Christopher Robin counts, I'd probably throw that in between Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 09-23-19 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-23-19, 05:10 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Yea, Pete’s Dragon is for sure worth seeing for Lowery’s direction.
Old 09-23-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
So far, i'd rank them (I think I've seen all of the recent ones except Dumbo and Alice Through the Looking Glass):

1) Pete's Dragon (if this counts, it's my favorite)
2) Cinderella (Was not just a straight remake, felt original)
3) The Jungle Book (fun movie, great voice work, great visuals)
4) Beauty and the Beast (I thought the cast overall was quite good)
5) Aladdin (Better than I expected)
6) The Lion King (Visually stunning, but zero originality) (4-6 are all pretty close for me)
7) Maleficent (still don't get why this movie was even made, neutered one of the best disney villains. AND a sequel?)

If Christopher Robin counts, I'd probably throw that in between Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast.
I agree with everything you said here. Although I haven't seen "The Lion King" yet. I would put "Cinderella" at #1 and "Pete's Dragon" a close second. "Cinderella" was the perfect Disney live action film IMO. Everything about it was perfect. My only gripe with "The Jungle Book" were the songs. They just felt awkward. "Beauty and the Best" was a gorgeous looking film with an incredible cast. But it wasn't as exciting as the animated version. "Aladdin" was better than I expected too. But still an average and completely unnecessary remake. Which brings us to "Maleficent" (my favorite Disney villain ever). What a turd that was. Like Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" (also not great), that didn't warrant a sequel and I feel (HOPE) it's sequel bombs too.
Old 09-24-19, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Of the one's I've seen:

1. Aladdin
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Jungle Book
4. Cinderella (although I don't remember much from this)

....last. Lion King - this was just terrible IMHO. It was like what if you took the Lion King and just removed all of the imagination and artistry and fun from it.
Old 09-24-19, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love Will Smith and will usually watch anything he stars in, but this version of Aladdin doesn't seem that interesting to me.
Old 09-24-19, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by AfiLai
Love Will Smith and will usually watch anything he stars in, but this version of Aladdin doesn't seem that interesting to me.

If you love Will Smith, then you need to give it a watch. I'm not a big fan of his overall (definitely very one-note - i know he CAN be a great actor, but many times he coasts), but his performance here is good.
Old 11-07-20, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Finally watched this on Disney+. I really enjoyed it.

Naomi Scott looked amazing. Nasim Pedrad (Dalia) was really funny. Will Smith did a good job.

The Desert Moon deleted song/scene is good and would have been nice in the movie. It's on Youtube.

Cinderella is still the best live action remake
Old 11-07-20, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I thought it was fine with a strong performance by Naomi Scott, but a hottie Jafar and an uncharismatic, uninspired lead as Aladdin knocks it down a good bit for me. Will Smith being Will Smith was expected and not distracting.
Old 11-07-20, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

It's funny, while i remember not disliking this the only scene i remember is the one with the horribly sped up footage.
Old 08-08-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Finally got around to watching this and thought it was really good. Great performances all around especially Massoud, Smith, and Pedrad.