Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Get Out (2017, W/D: Jordan Peele) S: Kaluuya, Williams, Whitford, Keener

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Get Out (2017, W/D: Jordan Peele) S: Kaluuya, Williams, Whitford, Keener

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-17, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Get Out (2017, W/D: Jordan Peele) S: Kaluuya, Williams, Whitford, Keener

This was an average film at best. It basically took the template of “You’re Next” and added a topical racial component which without that, most people would not be talking about.
Old 12-23-17, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

The whining a couple years ago pretty much guarantees this film will be nominated.

Watched it during a free preview and was shocked it actually lived up to the hype. It's a well made thriller, which are few and far between these days.
Old 12-23-17, 08:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by thebunk
This was an average film at best. It basically took the template of “You’re Next” and added a topical racial component which without that, most people would not be talking about.
You're Next was terrible. this was great on so many levels...
Old 12-23-17, 10:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

??? This movie was nothing like You're Next.
Old 12-23-17, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Ya'll know the black guy was their guest right?
Old 12-24-17, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
??? This movie was nothing like You're Next.
From a high level, the base premis is exactly the same.

A young dating couple attend a family get together at a secluded house in the country. In both films, this is the first time the non-family member of the dating couple meets the rest of the family and things start to go unexpectedly wrong.

While You’re Next knows what it is and attempts to become a fun, genre film (and mostly succeeds), Get Out tries to take itself too seriously by pandering to the political climate du jour.

If you replaced the lead of Get Out with any athletic white guy thus removing the racial components, do you honestly think it would be getting even a tenth of the praise it has received? No way it would be nominated for a Golden Globe.
Old 12-24-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

From a high level, the base premis is exactly the same.

A young dating couple attend a family get together at a secluded house in the country. In both films, this is the first time the non-family member of the dating couple meets the rest of the family and things start to go unexpectedly wrong.

While You’re Next knows what it is and attempts to become a fun, genre film (and mostly succeeds), Get Out tries to take itself too seriously by pandering to the political climate du jour.

If you replaced the lead of Get Out with any athletic white guy thus removing the racial components, do you honestly think it would be getting even a tenth of the praise it has received? No way it would be nominated for a Golden Globe.

You're bitter. I sense hangups. Get Out is one of the best films of the year, though.
Old 12-24-17, 11:18 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The key difference is that Get Out is funny and satirical. That makes it rise above being simply a genre exercise. That’s refreshing. You’re Next is simply a genre film with little subtext.
Old 12-24-17, 11:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Of course not, that's the point. It works on multiple levels, it isn't just a generic thriller.
Old 12-24-17, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The key difference is that Get Out is funny and satirical. That makes it rise above being simply a genre exercise. That’s refreshing. You’re Next is simply a genre film with little subtext.
Well a couple of things. First, and while I admit that You’re Next is not perfect, it is far more then a paint by numbers genre flick. Not only are the twists and scares well done but the female lead is far more then a stereotypical final girl. She is smart, fierce and an overall badass. A modern day feminist lead without being forced and her character serves the story.

Get Out on the other hand feels very calculated and pandering to our times. It relies solely on its lead being black but without it, the movie falls apart. It is far from being the multilayered masterpiece that many claim it is.
Old 12-24-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

As someone who liked You're Next and Get Out but didn't love either, I have no idea what you guys are arguing about

I get why people think Get Out is "great", I found it to be an okay thriller with some racial commentary that walks the tight rope of comedic and serious well. Directing was good, acting was good, the undertones were good, the basic plotline was cheese but the subtext worked. It reminded me of the Juneteenth episode of Atlanta for some reason.

You're Next was a generally well made straight forward comedy/horror that felt like it went on too long.

They really have very little in common outside of the basic "family secret" trope.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-24-17 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-24-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Excellent interview with Jordan Peele in today's New York Times, with an incisive discussion of the film which addresses some of my problems with it in a very helpful way. The writer/interviewer is Wesley Morris, one of the better culture critics at the Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/20/m...ef=todayspaper
Old 01-02-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Finally watched this on HBO this afternoon. After all the accolades this movie has earned over the last year, I expected to be underwhelmed and planned on only checking out the first half hour or so, but the movie was so engaging right from the beginning I wound up watching the whole thing (very rarely watch movies in one sitting these days, a mix of too many things to do and short attention span).

What I love most is a movie that can provoke emotional reactions. As well as tension and humour, I cringed quite a few times during Get Out, both because I was embarrassed by the white family's over-eagerness to relate to Chris, and also because a few times I found myself thinking, "Jesus, I've said dumb things like that before trying to make myself look good!"

To be fair, I didn't see many 2017 movies, but this is at the top of the few I did see.
Old 01-03-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

finally watched this last weekend and I just don't get the fuss about this movie. It was like a long episode of Black Mirror at best. I somehow expected more of a thriller from this one or at least some jump scares ... meh...
Old 01-10-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Just got around to seeing this. It was alright... but how did he get the cotton in his ears
Old 01-10-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
finally watched this last weekend and I just don't get the fuss about this movie. It was like a long episode of Black Mirror at best. I somehow expected more of a thriller from this one or at least some jump scares ... meh...
Old 01-10-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Just got around to seeing this. It was alright... but how did he get the cotton in his ears
They made a point of showing how far down he could bend in the chair to look at his hands. I just tried it at my desk and I could do it

We bought this when it came out digitally but finally got around to watching it the other night. I expected a few more scares and/or more gore - definitely more of a thriller than a horror movie but my wife and I highly enjoyed it.
Old 01-10-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
They made a point of showing how far down he could bend in the chair to look at his hands. I just tried it at my desk and I could do it.
Yup. I did the same.

I also recently watched this having bought the BD during the holiday season. The only issue I had with it is that the acting/or directing for everybody other than the lead was a just a tad too over the top. All the points being made during the movie would have worked better IMO if each character didn't recite the lines like they all had a exclamation point at the end of them.
Old 02-10-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Finally saw this on HBO, went in completely cold, knew it was nominated, but didn't really know much back story, I thought it was a horror flick, which is not my thing..which is why I avoided... but man I loved this movie, enjoyed it a lot.
Old 02-10-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very good movie, but I don't know if it deserves an A.A. nomination for B.P., unless it's a slow year.
Old 02-11-18, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 231 Posts

Just watched this for family movie night, and I really liked it. I wasn't expecting it to be so entertaining and I was expecting a horror movie rather than a thriller. I didn't watch the alternate ending--my daughter told me what happened, and I thought it would be too depressing.
Old 03-11-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

The Stepford Jives.

I finally watched this last night and, as many others here, I was surprised at how good it was. Early on, it promised greatness. The first hour was full of cringe-inducingly racial encounters and very well-realized foreboding and creepiness, for which Peele deserves a lot of credit. The atmosphere was reminiscent of the best '70s horror/suspense films.
I would not at all say that the movie fell apart when the suspected became explicit and led to a fight-for-life, but I found this section of the film far less interesting or original than what preceded it. I wish Peele had devised a cleverer way to wrap up the film than a slaughterfest, but he deserves a lot of credit anyhow: For a directorial debut, this was outstanding. And Kaluuya's Oscar nomination was well-earned.