Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roma (2018, D: Alfonso Cuarón) -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 01:42 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Academy Award-winning filmmaker Alfonso Cuaron and Participant Media are partnering on a new untitled film, to be directed and written by Cuaron. Production is slated to begin this fall in Mexico.

The movie chronicles a year in the life of a middle-class family in Mexico City in the early 1970s.

The project will be produced by Cuaron, Gabriela Rodriguez (“Gravity,” “Children of Men”), and Nicolas Celis (“Desierto,” “Heli,” “The Untamed”). Jeff Skoll, David Linde, and Jonathan King of Participant Media will executive produce.

“This film is close to my heart and my first in Mexico since Y Tu Mamá También. I am thrilled to be making it with the Participant team,” said Cuarón.

The pic marks Cuaron’s follow-up to his smash hit “Gravity” which landed Cuaron a best directing Oscar. The film went on to make $716 million worldwide including $274 million domestically.

Following “Gravity”, insiders across the industry were curious what Cuaron’s movie might be and several sources said his intentions had always been to do something something on the smaller scale rather than a big-budget pic like “Gravity.”

“Alfonso is a master storyteller, who breaks cultural boundaries around the world by skillfully connecting audiences through the power of cinema. We are elated to be joining him on this film,” said Linde, CEO of Participant Media.

This year at Toronto, Participant is presenting four films at the festival: Peter Berg’s Deepwater Horizon starring Mark Wahlberg; Denial starring Rachel Weisz, Tom Wilkinson and Timothy Spall; J.A. Bayona’s A Monster Calls; and Pablo Larraín’s critically acclaimed Neruda starring Gael García Bernal.

Cuaron is repped by UTA.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/al...ia-1201855134/
Old 09-08-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Untitled Alfonso Cuarón project

Old 09-08-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Not a big fan, except for Children of Men which is excellent, I don't like any of his other films.
I do think he is very talented and I hope this turns out good.
Old 09-08-16, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll see anything by him, del Toro, and Iñárritu. Specifically the Fat Fuck Mexican one.

Never saw A Little Princess or Great Expectations though... not sure if I'd care to. For some reason those don't interest me.

Originally Posted by inri222
Not a big fan, except for Children of Men which is excellent, I don't like any of his other films.
I do think he is very talented and I hope this turns out good.
Have you seen all his films? And why only does Children of Men get your goat going?
Old 09-08-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'll see anything by him, del Toro, and Iñárritu. Specifically the Fat Fuck Mexican one.

Never saw A Little Princess or Great Expectations though... not sure if I'd care to. For some reason those don't interest me.

Have you seen all his films? And why only does Children of Men get your goat going?
All except for A Little Princess & Harry Potter, which I don't really care to see. The reason I like Children of Men is because to me of the ones I've watched, it's his most original and deepest film.
Old 09-08-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember when A Little Princess came out - Siskel & Ebert raved about it.

I've never seen it or Great Expectations. In fact, I have not seen "Solo Con Tu Pareja," which got a Criterion Collection release via DVD. That was before Little Princess.
Old 09-08-16, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I have not seen "Solo Con Tu Pareja," which got a Criterion Collection release via DVD.
Didn't like it, feels like a second rate Pedro Almodovar (who happens to be one of my favorites) wannabe.
Old 09-08-16, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Eh everybody has their own taste, I think Cuaron is the most competent of the three and the only one I'm actually interested in future projects from (plus a good deal of variety)
Old 09-08-16, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
...I think Cuaron is the most competent of the three
For me it's

Iñárritu
Cuaron
Del Toro

Although IMO there are better Mexican directors than those 3. If we expand to Spanish language directors, Almodovar smokes all of them.
Old 09-08-16, 08:12 PM

All of Cuaron's work is worth checking out, IMO.
Old 09-08-16, 08:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I would probably see anything by him.
Old 03-14-17, 04:48 PM

re: Roma (2018, D: Alfonso Cuarón) -- Netflix

Alfonso Cuarón is back! The filmmaker has remained relatively quiet since winning Best Director at the Oscars three years ago for “Gravity,” but at a press conference (via Filmeweb) in Mexico earlier today, he confirmed he has finished production on his next movie, a family drama titled “Roma.” This is the first time the title has been revealed.

News broke last September that Cuarón would be directing a new movie set in Mexico, his first since “Y Tu Mamá También” made him a star on the international film circuit. At the time, the only details around the project were that it would be set in the 1970s and follow the year in the life of a middle-class family. The director is remaining tight-lipped on plot details for now, but he did reveal just how important it was for him to tell this story.

“Returning to my country with this specific project was something very personal, because we made a film set in the ’70s, with many elements and experiences of my childhood,” the director told press. He referred to the film as “quite a universal story.”

The movie is called “Roma” because of how Cuarón has seen Mexico City develop over the past four decades. Changes in infrastructure and the arts have made it a Roman City in the director’s eyes. He didn’t elaborate further on the story, though The Playlist reports the film will include a major historical event called the the Corpus Christi Massacre, in which soldiers killed liberal student protesters.

As for why he finally decided to return to Mexico, Cuarón explained, “I can live abroad, but my head always thinks about Mexico and as a Mexican I am always aware of what is happening in my country…returning to Mexico to make movies was a necessity.”

He also described making the new film using an anecdote Guillermo del Toro once told him.

“[Del Toro] told me that certain movies are like a box of cereal with a prize included, because when you’re a kid, you eat it all up to know what you got,” he said. “‘Gravity’ was for me that little toy, and I made the decision to use it to go back to Mexico and make the film I had always dreamed of.”

If this really is the movie Cuarón has always wanted to make, then consider us even more excited. The cast hasn’t been revealed yet either, though it is believed to be made up mostly of local actors.

“Roma” is targeting a 2018 release date.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/alf...is-1201793630/
Old 03-15-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

‘Gravity’ Director Alfonso Cuaron Has Wrapped Production on His New Film

http://screencrush.com/alfonso-cuaron-roma/

The film was shot on 70mm, but not by Cuaron’s frequent collaborator Emmanuel Lubezki due to a scheduling conflict. Instead, that job went to Mexican cinematographer Galo Olivares.
Old 03-15-17, 01:27 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Fuck yeah, Cuarón! I can't wait to see this.
Old 03-15-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Judging by the description of the film and the title, it sounds like it's an almost-remake of the Fellini film of the same name... except about Mexico City.
Old 03-15-17, 07:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
On the QT and very hush, hush.
Great movie!
Old 05-15-17, 10:09 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gj2oli0MLSU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-15-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

So production has wrapped two months ago, but it won't come out until 2018? Is that correct?
Old 05-15-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

No American actors playing Mexicans = no sale.
Old 05-15-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
No American actors playing Mexicans = no sale.

Old 07-18-18, 11:17 AM

The New York Film Festival has gotten out front of the coming onslaught of slate announcements to declare that Alfonso Cuarón’s Spanish-language drama ROMA will be the Centerpiece of the 56th New York Film Festival. The pic will make its New York premiere at Alice Tully Hall on Friday, October 5, 2018. That means ROMA, which was acquired and will be released by Netflix, will make its world premiere elsewhere and the expectation is that will be at Venice, where Cuarón first unveiled his Oscar-winning film Gravity.
The Film Society of Lincoln Center announces Alfonso Cuarón’s ROMA as Centerpiece of the 56th New York Film Festival (September 28 – October 14), making its New York premiere at Alice Tully Hall on Friday, October 5, 2018. Produced by Esperanto Filmoj and Participant Media, ROMA is a Netflix release and will launch globally and in theaters later this year.

Secure your seat at Centerpiece with a Festival Pass.

In Alfonso Cuarón’s autobiographically inspired film, set in Mexico City in the early ’70s, we are placed within the physical and emotional terrain of a middle-class family whose center is quietly and unassumingly held by its beloved live-in nanny and housekeeper (Yalitza Aparicio). The cast is uniformly magnificent, but the real star of ROMA is the world itself, fully present and vibrantly alive, from sudden life-changing events to the slightest shifts in mood and atmosphere. Cuarón tells us an epic story of everyday life while also gently sweeping us into a vast cinematic experience, in which time and space breathe and majestically unfold. Shot in breathtaking black and white and featuring a sound design that represents something new in the medium, ROMA is a truly visionary work.

New York Film Festival Director and Selection Committee Chair Kent Jones said, “I was absolutely stunned by ROMA from beginning to end—by the craftsmanship and the artistry of everyone involved, by the physical power and gravitational force of the images, by the realization that I was seeing something magical: a story of ongoing life grounded within the immensity and mystery of just being here on this planet. Alfonso Cuarón’s film is a wonder.”

“I am honored ROMA has been selected for the Centerpiece slot at this year’s New York Film Festival,” said Cuarón. “NYFF has a longstanding history of celebrating meaningful and compelling filmmaking and it felt right to return to the festival with ROMA—an incredibly personal, illuminating, and transformative project for me.”

Last edited by dex14; 07-18-18 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-18-18, 11:28 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Roma (2018, D: Alfonso Cuarón) -- Netflix

Sounds great.

Wait, so it was shot in 70mm black and white?
Old 07-18-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't wait! And it will be on Netflix!
Old 08-16-18, 10:28 AM

<iframe width="708" height="398" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fp_i7cnOgbQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-16-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.