Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Passengers (2016, D: Morten Tyldum) S: Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Passengers (2016, D: Morten Tyldum) S: Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Passengers (2016, D: Morten Tyldum) S: Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I still vote for waking up everyone on the ship. Orgy party time baby!!
If I opened up 10 girls pods and 1 other guy, they'd all want that one guy and I'd be sitting there yanking it.
Old 05-16-17, 06:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That's some low ass self esteem there Jim, especially for a guy that's stuck in space. Give your hand a break and grab a broad or three.
Old 05-28-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passengers missed an idea;

Watched Passengers was waiting for the crew to see a couple dozen offspring from the original woken crew. Problem would be inbreeding. It would've been Adam and Eve the sequel. Maybe inbreeding was the human failure. Screen writers probably thought to create a few offspring to keep the two alive but thought better of it. I always felt that the Ark was the ship that brought humans to Earth and the only way to keep life going for the couple hundred years journey was to procreate. There probably isn't a way to sustain life in suspended animation so they probably needed to create life on the way.
Old 05-29-17, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Passengers missed an idea;

Seems more appropriate for Movie Talk
Old 10-30-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Watched this one last night and I really liked it a lot. Though the quoted post below was a total missed opportunity because IMO it would have been so much better and would have taken the movie to another level.

Originally Posted by Adken
I think a great "alt ending" would of been Jim dying in the venting blast, then have Aurora alone for a year or so before she breaks down and wakes someone else up. I would be an interesting character study on her becoming what she hated Jim for.
Old 09-10-18, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Finally saw this movie and wow, I really loved it!

Didn’t know much about the film beforehand. Had no idea it was a pure romance movie.

Music was excellent, which really made the chemistry between Pratt and Lawrence great.
Old 09-10-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah i love it too. And I will quote myself and say you should check out this video below

Originally Posted by nando820
Just watched this movie last night. I was not expecting much at all, hearing all the uneven reviews but I freaking loved it.
The chemistry between Pratt and Lawrence was great and it made it the whole thing work for me

Very interesting points guys and I thought about similar things too. Whats cool about this movie is that is that it could have easily taken several directions. I wish they had shot several endings and edits of it because it can truly become a whole different beast if viewed differently. Here is an expert from the "Nerdwriter" that shows how some little changes can affect the experience

Also found this trivia from IMDB which shows the original script had a very different ending. All in all I really enjoyed it, it made me think a lot about all the possibilities and I had the trippiest of dreams last night

"The third act from the movie is quite different from the original screenplay written by Jon Spaihts, in which a moribund Gus commits suicide by shooting himself into space, then Jim and Aurora have to contain the ship's damage. Jim never dies, but the 5,000 hibernation pods are ejected (Jim explains: "The hibernation system rebooted. It thinks the ship's in port. It's ejecting the empty pods." Aurora (horrified): "They're not empty."). In the final scene, the ship arrives in Homestead II (88 years later) and out of it comes Jim and Aurora's descendants."
Old 09-10-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked this movie quite a bit but will admit that either one of the alternatives mentioned would be kick ass variations
Old 09-10-18, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scored the UHD yesterday for a great price at Amazon (and BB).
Old 09-10-18, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Worth mentioning, the director of this movie directed a couple of episodes of the new Jack Ryan TV show on Amazon. He did a really good job with that show.
Old 09-10-18, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nando820
Yeah i love it too. And I will quote myself and say you should check out this video below

Interesting video. Had me convinced that the changes would have made a better movie.
Old 09-16-18, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm the only one in my family that likes this movie. Has it's flaws sure, but the visuals and sound are just so cool. The 4K is amazing. Watched it again last night trying to see it from the rearranged POV. Definitely would have made it more intense. So in 20 years when they remake it, they'll have to do that.
Old 09-16-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I think this movie got an unfair rap because some vocal critics got hung up on the idea that Pratt had committed a crime against Lawrence that she never could have or should have forgiven.

Perhaps her character's psychology was not politically correct, but there is a lot to recommend this movie.

I've seen it twice and enjoyed it.

Movie stars being movie stars. Interesting and unusual story. Action and FX. What more do you need?
Old 09-16-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-16-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I think this movie got an unfair rap because some vocal critics got hung up on the idea that Pratt had committed a crime against Lawrence that she never could have or should have forgiven.

Perhaps her character's psychology was not politically correct, but there is a lot to recommend this movie.

I've seen it twice and enjoyed it.

Movie stars being movie stars. Interesting and unusual story. Action and FX. What more do you need?
Most of the criticism I seen was the exact opposite. People were mad because they thought she over reacted given the situation.
Old 09-16-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Most of the criticism I seen was the exact opposite. People were mad because they thought she over reacted given the situation.
I suggest you go to Rotten Tomatoes, bring up the Top Critics reviews, and just read the summaries of those reviews.
Old 09-16-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I suggest you go to Rotten Tomatoes, bring up the Top Critics reviews, and just read the summaries of those reviews.
I don't really care that much but that would just give me what critics had problems with not what most people had problems with. I could be wrong, not like I did a survey.
Old 09-16-18, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I don't really care that much but that would just give me what critics had problems with not what most people had problems with. I could be wrong, not like I did a survey.
You wouldn't be wrong at all.
The only movie critique I take heed of is my own...and the voice in my head.

I picked up the UHD release the other day for 15 bucks.
Old 09-16-18, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never read published movie reviews (even after I've seen a movie). As a result, nobody influences my opinion about the movie.

I may ask someone how they liked a particular movie, but I don't need a professional movie critic's opinion about a movie.
Old 09-16-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I never read published movie reviews (even after I've seen a movie). As a result, nobody influences my opinion about the movie.

I may ask someone how they liked a particular movie, but I don't need a professional movie critic's opinion about a movie.
I here ya.
OTOH, we humans are herd animals...we like to follow leaders.
Old 09-30-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife and I rented this from the Redbox the other night and really liked it. Beautifully shot, and great use of water and gravity. I thought it could have been a little darker given the circumstances, but i'm ok with the movie keeping with the romance angle rather then something bitter sweet.
Old 09-18-19, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
My wife and I rented this from the Redbox the other night and really liked it. Beautifully shot, and great use of water and gravity. I thought it could have been a little darker given the circumstances, but i'm ok with the movie keeping with the romance angle rather then something bitter sweet.
I really liked this movie. I think the Jim character gets a bad rap.
Spoiler:
without two people to fix the ship in that fire sequence, the ship is destroyed and everyone dies anyways.
Old 09-20-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead

I really liked this movie. I think the Jim character gets a bad rap.
Spoiler:
without two people to fix the ship in that fire sequence, the ship is destroyed and everyone dies anyways.
Except that he did the overall right thing (unwittingly) with WAY SUPER FREAKIN' WRONG intentions.
Old 09-20-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

yeah really like the movie. And it has been mentioned before that with a little tweak of making it not known to the audience how Lawrence's character wakes up. The reveal would had made for a far better impact. And the flow of the story line didn't have to change at all. Such a missed opportunity
The following users liked this post:
chowderhead (09-30-21)