Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When did you give up on the Highlander franchise?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

When did you give up on the Highlander franchise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 11:12 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: When did you give up on the Highlander franchise?

The second one is something of a guilty pleasure. It only bears a passing resemblance to the franchise but it feels like Mulcahy was reaching for something grand, and although he ended up falling far short of that vision I will grant the film "fascinating failure" status: Too bad to be good but too interesting to be truly awful.
Old 08-11-16, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Best HIGHLANDER film:

Directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri, who also gave us WICKED CITY, NINJA SCROLL and VAMPIRE HUNTER D: BLOODLUST.
Is it actually a good film or just something you whip it for and commit some genocide level type of release of your own DNA?
Old 08-11-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never really gave up on the franchise but it was because of my dad primarily. He watched the TV series religiously (actually he might still, he has all of the dvd box sets) and I pretty much saw all of them as well including the movies. But yeah, I'm not a fan of the 2nd or 3rd movie at all...the 4th isn't bad though, just my opinion.
Old 08-11-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The second one is something of a guilty pleasure. It only bears a passing resemblance to the franchise but it feels like Mulcahy was reaching for something grand, and although he ended up falling far short of that vision I will grant the film "fascinating failure" status: Too bad to be good but too interesting to be truly awful.
Yea for some reason I really like that film in every version that has been put out!!! No idea really why but I just do.

After Endgame I gave up on it as I have not seen any after it if there is because I have no idea.
Old 08-11-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I think i am one of the only people in the world who actually kinda likes Highlander 2. I did not have a problem it going all sci-fi and the shit about being aliens dumped on Earth. I do think the original idea of keeping their origins ambiguous was better, but there is a lot to appreciate in the second movie that was not in the other sequels. It had some nice sets, the cinematography was pretty good, some of the action was a lot better than found in 3, 4 and 5, and Michael Ironside always plays a good villain. I went to see it at the cinema on its original release and dug it. I also went to see part 3 at the cinema and just found it incredibly boring. Van Peebles is just an unwatchable actor. I never liked the TV show and found Adrian Paul to be a real wooden actor. He along with Bruce Payne were horrible in Endgame. The Source was the worst of the bunch.

Upon reading some of the other comments it seems there are maybe 3 of us who actually like the second Highlander movie in the world.
Old 08-11-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Didn't like the first one so it ended there.

A Scottish actor playing an Egyptian prince with a Spanish name and a French actor playing a Scotsman did make me laugh.
Jesus, glad I don't feel the compulsion to pick apart a movie to this degree.
Old 08-11-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Old 08-11-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I do like the Renegade cut of Highlander 2 as an "elseworld" type of tale.

"Farewell, dear shit head."
Old 08-11-16, 12:21 PM
Banned

Was the show any good? I watched it a bit as a kid but I tolerated a lot of crap cuz I was bored as fuck if I was watching a TV show not in Spanish or the WWF/WCW/Lucha Libre. Don't really remember much about it aside from the lead having a ponytail.
Old 08-11-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Was the show any good? I watched it a bit as a kid but I tolerated a lot of crap cuz I was bored as fuck if I was watching a TV show not in Spanish or the WWF/WCW/Lucha Libre. Don't really remember much about it aside from the lead having a ponytail.
Yeah, I'd say that particular mythology, the way it was laid out, was much better than all of the sequel films. The one spin-off that I never got the chance to watch was Highlander: The Raven, with the blonde immortal who looked like the lead singer of The Cranberries.
Old 08-11-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I gave up before the first movie came out.
Old 08-11-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Yeah, I'd never heard of it until it was a couple movies into the franchise so based on the reactions to #2 I just steered clear of the whole mess.

An aunt of ours, though, was big into the series so I used the forums to learn the best DVD releases to buy for her as gifts.
Old 08-11-16, 07:18 PM
Banned

Never got the BD for the first one. This new one seems to have a chance at looking better.
Old 08-11-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

The third one (which I saw for 80 cents, the price of two canned goods for the food drive run by the theater) is the only one I have seen, and ever plan to see. I want my cream corn back.
Old 08-11-16, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
The third one (which I saw for 80 cents, the price of two canned goods for the food drive run by the theater) is the only one I have seen, and ever plan to see. I want my cream corn back.
The first movie is OUTSTANDING. It is a great bit of historic fantasy with some subtle science fiction elements.

Don't judge the original's merit based on the lack of quality of the sequels...
Old 08-11-16, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Didn't like the first one so it ended there.

A Scottish actor playing an Egyptian prince with a Spanish name and a French actor playing a Scotsman did make me laugh.
Pretty much this.
Old 08-11-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Yep. I couldn't believe how incompetent the script, direction, and acting were in that one. It was almost like it was made by fans, except fans would have come up with a better script and gotten better performances out of the stars.

It was one of the most pathetic movies I've seen in the theater - just a step up from Never Too Young To Die. No, on second though, not a full step up - just a half step up, maybe only a quarter step. It was awful.

I never got into the series, and after watching Endgame I didn't want to.

Highlander begins and ends with the original movie as far as I'm concerned. Everything else just ruins it.

Yep. It's OK, but not very good - and it's totally unnecessary given the ending of the first movie. There was absolutely ZERO room for a sequel after the first movie. A prequel? Maybe, but not a sequel. It really should have just been left alone...

I don't proclaim to be the biggest Highlander fan, but I really don't get why Endgame has kind of a bad rep.

It was the feature film debut of Connor and Duncan actually working together and I thought it brought closure to Connor's storyline even though he was killed off.

I don't think it's a terrible movie by any means. I own and saw the Unrated Producer's cut on DVD (didn't see the theatrical version) and thought it worked pretty well for someone like me who isn't a hardcore fan of this series. The movie actually did a good job ending the entire franchise with closure until they decided to re-visit it again with the awful The Source.

From what I understand Panzer and Davis weren't happy with the theatrical version that was released. And they made the fixes and edits in post for the DVD version to their liking. Maybe that's why it's gotten such an bad rep.
Old 08-11-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I have seen all 4 films, the animated series, and the tv series.

I never saw The Raven, or the last film. There was a time I was tempted to watch it, but everybody says its so bad it just can't bring myself to ever watch it.

2 honestly isn't terrible. It has some good themes and ideas - his woman dying, world going to crap - but the the other planet and Ramierz coming back just running everything. The other cut that makes it the far past make it better, but still can't salvage things.

Would be good if they can salvage the reboot - it's been in development hell for years. Could work as a 2-3 film series, but needs to have a plan and pick different time periods and settings.
Old 08-11-16, 08:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen the DVD producer's cut of Endgame, and the problem is that it's so amateurishly directed. It's not necessarily a bad idea, but the execution was lacking from the start, and no amount of editing could save it.

The biggest problem with any sequel to Highlander though is that Connor is meant to be the last immortal at the end of the original film. At least Highlander 2 tries to address this with some weird time travel nonsense. For 3 they relied on a shitty technicality (oh, he was trapped in a cave, well then that's totally alright!), and from the TV series on they just pretended that the ending of the first never happened.
Old 08-11-16, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't proclaim to be the biggest Highlander fan, but I really don't get why Endgame has kind of a bad rep.

It was the feature film debut of Connor and Duncan actually working together and I thought it brought closure to Connor's storyline even though he was killed off.
Regardless of what it had or what they were attempting to do with Endgame, the script was Godawful. It was horrible. It was like a script written by a 9th grader who was studying screenwriting.

Then the direction and acting were just as bad. It had nothing good in it.

I don't think it's a terrible movie by any means. I own and saw the Unrated Producer's cut on DVD (didn't see the theatrical version) and thought it worked pretty well for someone like me who isn't a hardcore fan of this series. The movie actually did a good job ending the entire franchise with closure until they decided to re-visit it again with the awful The Source.
I saw it in the theater and I will never, ever waste my time watching it again. I don't care if the Producer's cut is 1000 times better, it still won't work for me. The script and direction and acting would still be crap. It just might make a little more sense.

And I never watched the series much. I tried watching a couple episodes, but they seemed off to me. I couldn't make it through a full episode.

From what I understand Panzer and Davis weren't happy with the theatrical version that was released. And they made the fixes and edits in post for the DVD version to their liking. Maybe that's why it's gotten such an bad rep.
It's gotten a bad rep because of the awful script, acting, and direction. The DVD version may be an improvement, but not enough to overcome all of it's many flaws.

And NONE of the sequels or series should exist. The ending of the original movie was final - there was NO wiggle room for a sequel of any kind. A PREquel? Sure, but not a sequel.
Old 08-11-16, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I've only seen the first one. Seemed like a complete story to me so I never bothered with the sequels or tv series.
Old 08-11-16, 10:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I bailed 10 minutes into the first one.

Okay, not really, but I didn't know there were actually 4 sequels. I only knew of 1 and 2, with both being 2/5 at best. But I still watch them from time to time. The first one isn't a classic, more of a staple 80's flick, but nothing more. But hey, good Queen soundtrack.
Old 08-11-16, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Never got the BD for the first one. This new one seems to have a chance at looking better.
It does look better.