Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Nun (2018) -- The Conjuring spinoff -- S: Demián Bichir, Taissa Farmiga

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Nun (2018) -- The Conjuring spinoff -- S: Demián Bichir, Taissa Farmiga

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: The Nun (2018) -- The Conjuring spinoff -- S: Demián Bichir, Taissa Farmiga

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well that sucks to hear. Granted I wasn't expecting glorious praise for this. I did reserve an 8:30pm ticket on A-list for Saturday and even though you aren't recommending it, I'll try to check it out anyways.
Watched a review with three guys that went to an early preview. One really liked it, one didn't like it and the other was in the middle.
Old 09-06-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

This was from the director of The Hallow which was a solid Irish horror film about demonic fairies, so I was hoping this would be one of the better entries in the Conjuring universe.
Old 09-06-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
They're pretty profitable. No surprise there. Just because you don't care for them doesn't others don't.
I didn’t say I didn’t care for them. I said I hadn’t seen any beyond The Conjuring. I thought it was an okay movie but I just wouldn’t have expected it to get all these spin-offs. Especially when it’s like a prequel to the original film and then the prequel gets its own prequel.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-06-18 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-06-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Watched a review with three guys that went to an early preview. One really liked it, one didn't like it and the other was in the middle.
Well that certainly clears things up for me.
Old 09-06-18, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Well that certainly clears things up for me.
Just trying to show it might be a good choice for a subscription service.
Old 09-06-18, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

What a disappointment. The premise was already established in The Conjuring, but the producers really blew this. The film was badly lit, so it was really difficult to see what was going on, which is probably just as well

There are no high mountains around Vatican City. Hills, yes, mountains, no.

A character called Frenchie is already a cliche, but in Romania?

Speaking of Romania, this is 1952, so where are the Soviets? Russia had its furry boots all over Eastern Europe, and there was nary a sign of occupation. And just how did a priest and nun make it into a Communist country?

The acting wasn't bad, but it was hard to look past an Irish priest having a strong Spanish accent, like Sean Connery playing a Spanish immortal with a thick Scots brogue.

Als, it's not hard to spot where the writer ripped off his ideas. Valek is the vampire in Vampire$, and there's a scene taken from Demon Knight and another from Indiana Jones.

The filmmakers didn't know much about Romanian history, or Catholicism, or how to write a 3-act screenplay or handle a camera. It's a shame, really, because the landscape is so beautiful and eerie that it just oozes horror movie atmosphere.

Frenchie, seriously. SMH.
Old 09-06-18, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Yeah, just got back from this and it was pretty fucking mediocre. You already have a fantastic cast and then you make the Mexican play a priest named "Burke?" Come on.

I did think the creature design was cool. I know the guy who was the key-make-up for the film and he's great, but this was just a sloppy movie. Never mind the ode to Silent Hill.

The one thing that I did like was the beginning and ending and how they
Spoiler:
tied it in to the Warrens. Also, Maurice and his possession. I remember the real-life case of Maurice but it didn't take place in the 70's, I think it was the late 80's or early 90's. That case was freaky shit.

In any event, I do not recommend the film.
Old 09-07-18, 06:56 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Though I agree with a lot of what he says in his reviews, I find Jeremy Jahns pretty annoying. I think his review of this was pretty spot on.

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fUQoftL5Udk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-07-18, 11:06 AM

Supernatural horror pic The Nun is off to a mighty start at the North American box office, earning a blessed $5.4 million in Thursday-evening previews.

The spinoff easily scored the best preview gross of any title in New Line and Warner Bros.' Conjuring franchise.

The Nun could earn north of $46 million for the weekend, if not $50 million, likewise a series best and kicking off the fall box office in high style. The spooky R-rated pic also will steal the top-of-the-box-office crown from fellow Warners film, Crazy Rich Asians, which has topped the chart for three consecutive weekends.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...eviews-1140806
Old 09-07-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gobear
What a disappointment. The premise was already established in The Conjuring, but the producers really blew this. The film was badly lit, so it was really difficult to see what was going on, which is probably just as well

Speaking of Romania, this is 1952, so where are the Soviets? Russia had its furry boots all over Eastern Europe, and there was nary a sign of occupation. And just how did a priest and nun make it into a Communist country?

The acting wasn't bad, but it was hard to look past an Irish priest having a strong Spanish accent, like Sean Connery playing a Spanish immortal with a thick Scots brogue.

Als, it's not hard to spot where the writer ripped off his ideas. Valek is the vampire in Vampire$, and there's a scene taken from Demon Knight and another from Indiana Jones.

The filmmakers didn't know much about Romanian history, or Catholicism, or how to write a 3-act screenplay or handle a camera. It's a shame, really, because the landscape is so beautiful and eerie that it just oozes horror movie atmosphere.

It's hamfisted, but the guy was real. They just moved the timeline up and switched the geography up.
Old 09-07-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Yeesh. And you thought that first ANNABELLE movie was bad!? After some un-involving exposition, this just becomes one completely dull jump-scare after the other. Throw in "Frenchie" and you might as well have your Van Helsing sequel here.

The film was badly lit, so it was really difficult to see what was going on, which is probably just as well
Unquestionably, THE darkest movie I've ever seen in a theater. I couldn't even see what was written on the tombstone that the camera forces you to read at a certain point.

Halfway through the movie, I thought, "Well, maybe they'll improve this when they start work on The Nun:Creation-sequel/prequel." You know, when the nun used to be human. But once Valek's backstory was established, so much for that! Such a waste.
Old 09-07-18, 06:29 PM

Yea. It was really dark. That mixed with dull projector bulbs or off settings. No good.
Old 09-07-18, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Well these reviews are awfully disappointing. I don’t usually see horror movies in the theater but I was looking forward to seeing this one on Blu-ray. I guess I won’t bother now.

Even though I was looking forward to this in some ways, I kind of felt the the Nun character (and that goofy Bobadook looking mofo) in The Conjuring 2 were unnecessary additions to a story that didn’t need them.
Old 09-08-18, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it yesterday and this sums up a lot of feelings on it.
Old 09-08-18, 10:22 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

might make $50+ million this weekend...https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4434&p=.htm
Old 09-08-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ 54 million or so.
Old 09-08-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It'll do fine this weekend but watch the drop next weekend.
Old 09-08-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

With a budget of only 22 million, it's the gravy train all the way to the bank.
Old 09-08-18, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
With a budget of only 22 million, it's the gravy train all the way to the bank.
As with most horror films.
Old 09-08-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Way too many scripted scares, overuse of fog outside at night and a half-assed story made this a mediocre movie.
Old 09-08-18, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it was just okay. Nice atmosphere and I liked Taissa Farmiga in the role, but it was just kind of meh. The jump scare in the trailer is probably the best one in the movie.
Old 09-09-18, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I saw this tonight in a full house. 8:30pm show sold out.

But, For a horror movie, this wasn't very scary at all. Really not much violence at all. All the "jump" scares felt very telegraphed.

Yeah I have to go with the masses and also say this was very mediocre. I would give this a generous C+

There is a very light tie-in to The Conjuring movies. If you're on the fence and not really a big fan of The Conjuring movies, I'd probably skip it. But, if you're a big Conjuring cinematic universe fan and don't mind killing 90 minutes, then catch a matinee or use your discount movie ticket program like A-List to see it. Don't pay full ticket price to see this.
Old 09-09-18, 07:01 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I thought it was creepy as hell, great atmosphere and a decent story and was as good as the other movies. Was great in Dolby Cinema; maybe biased my opinion some.
Old 09-10-18, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Saw it last night, thought it was very meh but had a TON of potential. The setting felt too small - despite being this giant castle/convent.
Old 09-10-18, 08:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I’ll echo the general sentiments. It had a good cast and seemed to have potential, but was too dark, had too many jump scares, not enough originality, and was ultimately a film that didn’t really do anything memorable or useful for the franchise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.