DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Phantom Thread (2017, Paul Thomas Anderson) S: Daniel Day-Lewis, Vicky Krieps (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/634819-phantom-thread-2017-paul-thomas-anderson-s-daniel-day-lewis-vicky-krieps.html)

TheHive08 01-29-18 09:03 AM

Re: Phantom Thread (2017, Paul Thomas Anderson) S: Daniel Day-Lewis, Vicky Krieps

Yeah, I saw on Twitter that even with a small expansion this past weekend and 6 Oscar nominations, it still dropped 11% at the box office.

Throwing Copper 01-29-18 03:29 PM

Re: Phantom Thread (2017, Paul Thomas Anderson) S: Daniel Day-Lewis, Vicky Krieps

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13257067)

Odd. When I click on the link it doesn't list any release date. Still surprising that this is available for home viewing just 2 weeks after its wide release on the 19th.

Really poor showing at the box office.

RichC2 01-29-18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 13257463)
Odd. When I click on the link it doesn't list any release date. Still surprising that this is available for home viewing just 2 weeks after its wide release on the 19th.

Really poor showing at the box office.

The date was there this morning, it has since been removed.

EddieMoney 01-29-18 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13249510)
Fun story... A few years back, I was at Best Buy itching to buy something. I narrowed it down to two movies I hadn't seen: Inherent Vice and Chappie.

I chose Chappie.
https://i.imgur.com/h8r0F_d.jpg?maxw...idelity=medium

Never did get around to seeing Inherent Vice, though.

Tough luck, fuck mother!

whotony 01-29-18 09:32 PM

Both those movies are terrible.

Throwing Copper 01-30-18 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13257466)
The date was there this morning, it has since been removed.

I guess they just made a mistake. Seemed way too fast in the first place. I really want to revisit the film for a second time.

Hazel Motes 01-30-18 05:09 AM

This is a film that requires multiple viewings. I loved it, but I need to see it again. I barely put the pieces together that
Spoiler:
Cyril was Reynolds sister.

This might be PTA's best film. I was mesmerized. I feel like everything came together more perfectly than in any of his previous films. I love almost all his work, but I dunno, I was stunned by this.

dex14 01-30-18 05:21 AM

I'm pretty sure them being siblings was discussed plenty.

Idk... maybe it could be I saw the trailer so many damn times and she calls him her brother in it.

TheBang 01-30-18 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13257799)
I barely put the pieces together that
Spoiler:
Cyril was Reynolds sister.

Is that really a spoiler? It wasn't really hidden. Really early on, maybe in their first or second scene together, Cyril said "something something something Mother something something". Not "my mother" or "your mother", but just "Mother" as if she were mother to them both. That made me think, "Oh, are they siblings?" and further interactions shortly confirmed that.

Hazel Motes 01-31-18 01:37 AM

yeah I suppose. I guess I just didn't pick it up right away. I only thought about it as I was leaving the theater. I'm going to see it again tomorrow.

Supermallet 02-16-18 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13249406)
Paul Thomas Anderson Says ‘Call Me By Your Name’ Is His Favorite Film of 2017 & More

https://theplaylist.net/paul-thomas-...jedi-20180118/

Call Me By Your Name was significantly better than Phantom Thread. What a disappointment. DDL is always great but this movie really coasts on his performance (and to a lesser extent on the actress who plays his sister). I thought the love interest was awful and their love story trite and forgettable. Inherent Vice was meh but this is worse. I agree that PTA seems to have peaked with TWBB and has been on a downward trend ever since.

lwhy? 03-02-18 05:29 PM

I saw this today for $5 as part of the Regal Best Picture Film Festival. I loved how it was shot and the Hitchcockian feel that it has, but it was very slow and too long. I was also a bit confused by the ending, but I would watch it again. 3/5

mphtrilogy 11-19-18 08:02 AM

Watched this on HBO over a few nights... I didn’t quite get that ending, but I liked it better than I thought I would.

I hope this isn’t DDL’s last film though.

3/5