DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Phantom Thread (2017, Paul Thomas Anderson) S: Daniel Day-Lewis, Vicky Krieps (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/634819-phantom-thread-2017-paul-thomas-anderson-s-daniel-day-lewis-vicky-krieps.html)

dex14 06-03-16 01:25 PM

Phantom Thread (2017, Paul Thomas Anderson) S: Daniel Day-Lewis, Vicky Krieps

Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Thomas Anderson may be assembling a big screen reunion, this time in the world of fashion.

Although no deal is set, sources tell Variety that Day-Lewis is in talks to reunite with Anderson, who directed his Oscar-winning performance in “There Will Be Blood.”

Anderson’s reps declined to comment.

Sources say that Day-Lewis, who hasn’t made a film since “Lincoln” in 2012, has been loosely attached to the project for some time. Anderson is still working on a script while meeting young actresses of Eastern European descent to cast supporting roles.

Megan Ellison’s Annapurna Pictures is producing and financing the untitled project. The film will be set in 1950s New York and revolve around the fashion industry, although the plot is under wraps.

Annapurna most recently worked with PTA on “The Master” and “Inherent Vice.”

Day-Lewis, who won his third Academy Award for his performance in Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln,” has kept a low-profile the past decade. Prior to “Lincoln,” the thesp took a three-year break after Rob Marshall’s “Nine” in 2009. He filmed PTA’s “There Will Be Blood” before that in 2007.

Anderson most recently directed music videos for Radiohead and Joanna Newsom as well as the documentary “Junun,” which shows the collaboration between Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood and composer Shye Ben Tzur. Greenwood is also the composer of Anderson’s last three films.

No studio is currently attached to the project.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/da...ie-1201768423/

inri222 06-03-16 01:36 PM

Re: Untitled P.T. Anderson 1950s Fashion Film - S: Daniel Day Lewis

Paul Thomas Anderson means I'm in no matter who's starring. Gotta say that DDL is a giant bonus.

Osiris3657 06-03-16 01:44 PM

Yawn. After The Master and Inherent Vice, PTA is no longer a must see for me.

EddieMoney 06-03-16 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12818140)

Damn, I thought "The Master" might be his best yet. And "Inherent Vice" was fucking hilarious.

Dr. DVD 06-03-16 01:56 PM

I'm up for this, just hope DDL stays attached.

inri222 06-03-16 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 12818157)
Damn, I thought "The Master" might be his best yet.

Just as good if not better than There Will Be Blood.

"Inherent Vice" was fucking hilarious.

Loved it.

Crocker Jarmen 06-03-16 02:47 PM

I had a lot of problems with The Master and Inherent Vice, but with so few "older" directors making ambitious, big screen movies, I'm happy to see Anderson jumping back in the saddle. He's one of those directors like Coppola, or Herzog, or Lee, or Lynch, where even if the movie doesn't work for me, I really enjoy the experience of sitting in the theatre and seeing what the've created.

Osiris3657 06-03-16 02:55 PM

Damn, I thought "The Master" might be his best yet. And "Inherent Vice" was fucking hilarious.

I'll take 90's PTA (Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, Magnolia) over the current one any day.

Decker 06-03-16 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12818223)
I'll take 90's PTA (Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, Magnolia) over the current one any day.

:up:

I liked Inherent Vice though.

What does it mean to be "loosely attached" to a project? Like did somebody ask DDL if he's interested and he said "Maybe"?

bluetoast 06-03-16 03:19 PM

I assume since the script isn't done, it's not official. So, pretty much what you said.

OldBoy 06-03-16 03:27 PM

loved:
Magnolia
Boogie Nights
There Will Be Blood
Hard Eight
Punch-Drunk Love

Liked:
The Master

Yet to See:
Inherent Vice

So yeah, i'm for this...

Coral 06-03-16 11:07 PM

It's PTA... in by default.

Hazel Motes 06-04-16 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12818140)

PTA and DDL is a yawn? You saw the last film they made together right?

Jaymole 06-04-16 04:12 AM

Inherent Vice was a disappointment for me so I am hoping this one will be a rebound as PTA is one of my favorite directors.

Osiris3657 06-04-16 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 12818575)
PTA and DDL is a yawn? You saw the last film they made together right?

The subject matter is a yawn. I couldn't give less of a fuck about 1950's fashion, regardless of the talent involved.

TomOpus 06-04-16 11:24 AM

I didn't think a movie about Wall Street would be interesting but, damn, if Stone didn't make it fun to watch.

Solid Snake 06-04-16 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12818658)
The subject matter is a yawn. I couldn't give less of a fuck about 1950's fashion, regardless of the talent involved.

It's not about what it's about, it's about how it is done.

There are so many movies out there that I probably wouldn't care for based on concept/plot. But the execution of it sure as hell can take my interest for a project.

Groucho 06-04-16 01:35 PM

There Will Be Blouses

islandclaws 06-04-16 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12818683)
It's not about what it's about, it's about how it is done.

There are so many movies out there that I probably wouldn't care for based on concept/plot. But the execution of it sure as hell can take my interest for a project.

100% this.

I don't like sports. At all. Can't stand watching games. And I probably loathe soccer most of all. But I thought "The Damned United" was a fantastic film, and it's entirely about UK soccer. Snake's point is totally valid.

Osiris3657 06-04-16 03:22 PM

Meh, purely objective and it varies from person to person. That's what's valid.

I love sports, but I don't care for sports movies, regardless of the critical acclaim they have.

I don't like musicals because, well fuck musicals. I don't care who's involved and how much people love it.

I don't care about fashion, so I'm not going to care about this movie despite Paul Thomas Anderson and DDL being involved.

davidlynchfan 06-04-16 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12818758)

I love sports, but I don't care for sports movies, regardless of the critical acclaim they have.

I don't like musicals because, well fuck musicals. I don't care who's involved and how much people love it.

I don't care about fashion, so I'm not going to care about this movie despite Paul Thomas Anderson and DDL being involved.

:thumbsup: Was never a fan of that famous Ebert quote. But I will be checking this movie out, though.

Mabuse 06-04-16 05:47 PM

I hope there's a snappy montage where they try on eccentric fashions. Like in European Vacation.

JackBurton 06-05-16 07:40 PM

One of the few directors that will get me in the theater. Looking forward to it.

William Fuld 06-05-16 09:03 PM

But don't let that stop you from repeatedly posting in this thread.

Hazel Motes 06-06-16 12:54 AM

I guess thats where you and I differ. To me the mark of a great movie isn't bound to its subject matter. I generally dislike the setting of sword and sandal flicks, but I'll be damned if Sparticus isn't one of the best films I've ever seen. Great movies dive deeper than whats on the surface. I'm sure a film set in the world of fashion in the 50's is gonna be more than just the dollars and cents of fashion. I mean would you call There Will Be Blood a movie about Oil prospecting? I can't imagine you were sold on the film because it was about oil. Don't you think the film digs deeper than that? Fashion doesn't particularly interest me either, but something tells me the subtext of the film isn't gonna be the deep meaning of a three piece suit.