Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016) - The Trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016) - The Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Ghostbusters (2016) - The Trailer

I like how even McCarthy sees the issues when the trailer promotes this as a sequel with the "30 years ago" intro. Her comments indicate that she voiced displeasure with the trailer and was told to pound sand.
Old 05-05-16, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The movie’s director, Paul Feig — he'll set you straight. After being slimed across the Net for almost a year, the "Freaks and Geeks" co-creator and "Bridesmaids" director trained his proton pack right back at the haters.

"Geek culture is home to some of the biggest a------s I've ever met in my life," Feig told the Daily News. "Especially after being attacked by them for months because of this 'Ghostbusters' project."

Social media trolls have been doing what they do best: slamming the chick-flick because conflict is a commodity on the web. And they did it again this week, clicking "thumbs down" so many times on YouTube that the official trailer for the reboot is now the most disliked movie preview clip in history, according to MyTop100Videos channel.

Feig has no time or patience for such ghouls, even those complaining that "SNL" star Leslie Jones' character merely plays into Hollywood's mad black woman cliché.

"I don't care what shape or size or color or anything they are," Feig said about his stars. "I live or die on what things are funny and whether or not people will be entertained by them."
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2621647
Old 05-05-16, 11:36 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Guess he better start writing up his will, then.
Old 05-05-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Seems like it never even occurred to him that somebody may not find this trailer as funny as he apparently does. Anyone who doesn't is an asshole apparently. If he doesn't want people complaining about Leslie Jones playing the stereotypical mad black woman, perhaps he should have told her not to play the mad black woman steretype while they were filming. Just another reason to not see this movie. As if we needed another.
Old 05-05-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I loved Feig and his work back in the day but he's devolved into a real dipshit.
Old 05-05-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

He's not wrong about the shit bags though in geek culture. Although that's not really specific to geek stuff, but anything on the internet.
Old 05-05-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

He is a little whiney, but he isn't wrong either.
Old 05-05-16, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
He's not wrong about the shit bags though in geek culture. Although that's not really specific to geek stuff, but anything on the internet.

There is a special type of asshole in Geek Culture though. It's like they become one big annoying loud cancerous life form when they decide they want to hate something. Give them the interwebs and it spreads faster and harder.
Old 05-05-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I agree. I don't understand the thing where you don't give a film a chance. The trailer is alright (the best part being the modified theme track). But it looks fun and goofy and I hope it's good. Still hoping they address the 'parallel universe' somehow. But I don't think they will.
Old 05-05-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

In before the lock
Old 05-05-16, 02:17 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Isn't Feig more or less responsible for placing geek culture in the spotlight? He and his Freaks & Geeks cohorts would make up most of the short list of those responsible for where pop culture is right now.
Old 05-05-16, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm all for giving a film a chance. I'll probably be taken to this one so yay for me not paying but also.. it's not a good trailer. Like 2 or 3 possibly promising things in there but mostly it's a crap trailer.
Old 05-05-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Fathom Events is re-releasing the original on June 8th and 12th. It will be in 750 theaters at AMC, Regal and Cinemark.

I guess you can vote with your money, in a way, if you're boycotting the new movie.
Old 05-05-16, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw it in theaters last year or whatever when Cinemark was showing it. Looks great...will never look clean as hell though cuz of the stock and such. Still looked damn good considering.
Old 05-05-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I agree. I don't understand the thing where you don't give a film a chance. The trailer is alright (the best part being the modified theme track). But it looks fun and goofy and I hope it's good. Still hoping they address the 'parallel universe' somehow. But I don't think they will.
If the trailer were good I'd give the movie a chance.

It's not good. It's not even mediocre. It makes the movie look awful, and not very funny.

The trailer usually makes the movie look better than it is. If that is true here this movie is gonna suck. Hard.
Old 05-05-16, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It doesn't look great, it doesn't look awful, but when a website like 4Chan or Reddit goes on a vendetta, it tends to make the news -- and that seems to be what happened here.

The big upcoming movies:
May 6th: Captain America: Civil War
May 20th: Angry Birds, Neighbors 2, The Nice Guys
May 27th: Alice Through the Looking Glass, X-Men: Apocalypse
June 3rd: TMNT: Out of the Shadows, Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
June 10th: The Conjuring 2, Now You See Me 2, Warcraft
June 17th: Finding Dory, Central Intelligence
June 24th: Independence Day: Resurgence
July 1st: The BFG, Tarzan, The Purge 3
July 8th: Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, The Secret Life of Pets
July 15th: Ghostbusters
July 22nd: Ice Age: Collision Course, Star Trek Beyond
July 29th: Jason Bourne
August 5: Suicide Squad, The Founder
August 12th: Sausage PArty, Pete's Dragon
August 19th: War Dogs, Ben-Hur

Seems like a standard Summer line-up. Civil War is the "massive title", ID4:2, Jason Bourne, Suicide Squad, The BFG and X-men: Apocalypse should all do very well.
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping?

worst-tattoo-fails-14******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">*********>
Old 05-05-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It doesn't look great, it doesn't look awful, but when a website like 4Chan or Reddit goes on a vendetta, it tends to make the news -- and that seems to be what happened here.

The big upcoming movies:
May 6th: Captain America: Civil War
May 20th: Angry Birds, Neighbors 2, The Nice Guys
May 27th: Alice Through the Looking Glass, X-Men: Apocalypse
June 3rd: TMNT: Out of the Shadows, Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
June 10th: The Conjuring 2, Now You See Me 2, Warcraft
June 17th: Finding Dory, Central Intelligence
June 24th: Independence Day: Resurgence
July 1st: The BFG, Tarzan, The Purge 3
July 8th: Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, The Secret Life of Pets
July 15th: Ghostbusters
July 22nd: Ice Age: Collision Course, Star Trek Beyond
July 29th: Jason Bourne
August 5: Suicide Squad, The Founder
August 12th: Sausage PArty, Pete's Dragon
August 19th: War Dogs, Ben-Hur

Seems like a standard Summer line-up. Civil War is the "massive title", ID4:2, Jason Bourne, Suicide Squad, The BFG and X-men: Apocalypse should all do very well.
Like I said in my previous post I don't see a whole lot there other than a few kids movies lighting the box office on fire. Angry Birds will do well, Secret Life of Pets will too, and Finding Dory will be huge.

I think Civil War will do well with no real competition. I think the only other adult movie that will score big is Jason Bourne. I don't see ID4 doing all that well. I loved the first one and have the poster in my movie room, but it gets the most comments..."I can't believe you bought THAT movie poster." I think most people think it's cheese now. I also think a lot of people are getting superhero burnout, and the last X-men movie didn't even do all that great so I don't know this one will either.

Sleeper hit might be on May 20th....Neighbors or Nice Guys.
Old 05-05-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Not that I disagree entirely but I think there are just as many instances proving the opposite. Fanboys will embrace a lot of things (including changes to story or character) as long as the property in question is being handled properly and respectfully. I think that while there has been hate aimed at this film it's not all necessarily aimed at the fact that the cast is made up of women but more so who the cast is made up of and the type of humor this film is going for. If the film looked good once the trailer hit people would have backed off a bit but they haven't because it doesn't look good and I'm sorry but you don't become the most disliked trailer in YouTube history solely because of some angry fanboys. Honestly Feig has gone a long ways to kind of push this US versus them mentality too. I don't think either side is innocent but I don't think he's handled himself in the most professional manner either and a lot of times has come off as whiny that people don't like his ideas and his movie.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-05-16 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Not that I disagree entirely but I think there are just as many instances proving the opposite. Fanboys will embrace a lot of things when the property in question is being handled properly. I think that while there has been hate aimed at this film it's not all necessarily aimed at the fact that the cast is made up of women but more so who the cast is made up of and the type of humor this film is going for. If the film looked good once the trailer hit people would have backed off a bit but they haven't because it doesn't look good and I'm sorry but you don't become the most disliked trailer in YouTube history solely because of some angry fanboys.
There is definite pile-on mentality. There are far worse movies with far worse trailers that haven't achieved this level of distaste. There's something different going on here.
Old 05-05-16, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Please. Like I said there's no way that only fanboys are contributing to the trailer getting as many dislikes as it has.
Old 05-05-16, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Please. Like I said there's no way that only fanboys are contributing to the trailer getting as many dislikes as it has.
Except there literally is a way that they're doing that. There's certainly nothing stopping them or even making their crusade unlikely.

Compare the views to both the likes and dislikes. 31 million views vs less than a million votes one way or the other.

Literally all signs point to the venomous reaction to this thing being targeted by a small but extremely vocal minority. And posts everywhere support that. Reddit. IMDB. The YouTube comments themselves. There are people reveling in the dislikes. Making it the most-disliked trailer was seen as an accomplishment, and more than once I've seen people rallying others to make it the most disliked video on YouTube altogether.

The funny thing about the most-hated video on YouTube? It's literally an RIAA-record-breaking hit single. And it's not alone. Racking up a bunch of YouTube dislikes is hardly a harbinger of commercial failure.
Old 05-06-16, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not that I disagree entirely but I think there are just as many instances proving the opposite. Fanboys will embrace a lot of things (including changes to story or character) as long as the property in question is being handled properly and respectfully. I think that while there has been hate aimed at this film it's not all necessarily aimed at the fact that the cast is made up of women but more so who the cast is made up of and the type of humor this film is going for. If the film looked good once the trailer hit people would have backed off a bit but they haven't because it doesn't look good and I'm sorry but you don't become the most disliked trailer in YouTube history solely because of some angry fanboys. Honestly Feig has gone a long ways to kind of push this US versus them mentality too. I don't think either side is innocent but I don't think he's handled himself in the most professional manner either and a lot of times has come off as whiny that people don't like his ideas and his movie.
I don't think there's an equivalent opposite to the negativity that exists on the internet. That's speaking generally, and independent of this specific movie. Like I said, Feig isn't wrong when it comes to the way people act and behave like assholes on the internet.

I still think the movie looks terrible, i'm just saying Feig's particular comments here aren't wrong - any onus on him is pretty minor, the extremes some people have gone to started well before any comments.

It's funny, because I do think that the extremely vocal folks that are being deliberate assholes are making many of us who dislike the film for what I think are reasonable opinions get lumped in to the same group by the "defenders" of the movie.
Old 05-06-16, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
...literally...

...Literally...

...literally...
[Inigo]You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.[/Inigo]
Old 05-06-16, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Didn't hear a single laugh during this trailer in the theater... I heard a "looks terrible" behind me...and this was in BvS's 3rd wknd..so not exactly fanboys.
Old 05-06-16, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Barth
I also think a lot of people are getting superhero burnout, and the last X-men movie didn't even do all that great so I don't know this one will either.
The last movie actually did really well, and outside of Deadpool made the most money of the entire franchise worldwide by far.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...t/?id=xmen.htm

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.