Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.36%
31.82%
32.73%
5.45%
1.82%
0%
1.82%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Came back from a 2nd viewing in 3D this time. I didn't have no problem with the talky first half this time around, but that ho-hum section after the airport-fight just really kills the flow. We needed more editing there. The 3D actually covers up the CG stunt doubles well (To my eyes, at least) and was I much more wow'd by Boseman's performance. Eagerly awaiting his solo movie even more now.

And is it me or does Wanda's hair-color change with the mood she's in Twice we've seen her locked up in a cell and twice it's been completely black.
Old 05-08-16, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Originally Posted by slop101
Oh goddammit, you know full well what I fucking meant - don't be a Taffer!
So he died one issue later in his own book (which BTW, was directly related/connected to Civil War) - what a huge fucking difference...

What's funny is that there's only a 16 year difference between Cooper and Slattery, yet Slatter is playing him 40 years older.
Not to go farther down the taffer hole, butI don't know that I would even say his death is directly related to Civil War. Other than it happening while he was in custody for what happened during Civil War. Everything that lead up to his death was a storyline independent or CW.
Old 05-08-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Never really felt that Raimi's was very modern. Felt too much of that world was from what Raimi grew up with in the 1960s. Like the super early stuff. A lot of whining and such. Didn't really feel modern.
I disagree, but even if they weren't modern for the early 2000s, why is that a bad thing?
Old 05-08-16, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
No it's not, he played Howard Stark in Iron Man 2.

Also, it's a bit weird that the Cooper picture was used in the newspaper article (and in the crash), since he didn't look like that at the time of the crash- but it looks like they didn't plan that far ahead in the last movie.
I said in the Cap movies (and subsequently Agent Carter) it's always been Dominic Cooper.

Slattery's been in Iron Man and Ant-man before this.

Edit: sorry, just caught up on the others addressing this!

Last edited by dave94; 05-08-16 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-08-16, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah we all agreed in the end.
Old 05-08-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
You know, these comments of finally getting Spider-Man right...isn't that being dismissive of the raimi/maguire Spidey? It's unfortunate they have part 3 of that series but 1 and 2 are way up there, no?
I still hold Spider-Man 2 up there as one of the best comic book movies ever. I think the Raimi movies are still good, and it's premature to say that Holland is the best one yet based on what little we saw in Civil War - I enjoyed the quips and teenage enthusiasm quite a bit though.
Old 05-08-16, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I rank Spiderman films as:

Spiderman 2
Spiderman
Amazing Spiderman
Amazing Spiderman 2
Spiderman 3

Just the movies. I think Tom Holland and the way he plays the character as an enthusiastic kid rocks it.
Old 05-09-16, 12:50 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Manco
Does Spider-Man have his spider sense? I figured he should have know something was up with shield when he got and he should have been able to avoid that attack from behind by Falcon.

In the movie he said he's had his powers for 6 months. My he;'s still feeling out his powers? Maybe his spider sense hasn't kicked in yet?
He dodged a hit from red falcon from behind. Was like 'oh shit!', turned around and ducked just in time. I attributed that to the sense. The times he got hit, you figure he was just talking too much shit and not paying attention ("you have a metal arm? That's awesome!" *bam* hit.
Old 05-09-16, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

("you have a metal arm? That's awesome!" *bam* hit.

That was a cool scene, because he's fucking strong as hell. He he sort of just moved the metal arm away like nothing.
Old 05-09-16, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He also dodges a thrown object Bucky tosses at him and he did try to warn team stark that there was something strange about the shield before he got smacked by ant-man.

His senses are on point in this.
Old 05-09-16, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

He also caught whatever Stark threw at him in his bedroom without looking.
Old 05-09-16, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
Saw it again last night, still rather underwhelmed.

Pros:

-Spiderman was absolutely amazing. This is easily the best use of him in live action ever. Liked the scene with him and Stark and Marissa Tomei was a nice surprise. Kind of funny that Aunt May keeps getting progressively younger.

-The airport fight scene was awesome. Everyone had a moment to shine in it.

-Black Panther was awesome. Marvel did really well realizing what is essentially a F list character into live action.

-Nice to see them address issues of collateral damage since there seemed to be some belief that every Marvel battle has no casualties.

Cons:

-Holy hell, who shot the action scenes for the first half of the movie? It was absolutely terrible and ruined what was some impressive stunt work and cool action set pieces. Winter Soldier wasn't shot like this, so what the hell happened?

-Black Panther really has no introduction and they use the easiest way that they can to get him involved in the movie and he kind of comes out of nowhere when he appears. He really could have used a movie before this.

-So Natasha helps Rogers and Bucky escape and seems to have no repercussions for doing so?

-Why did certain members join this fight, Hawkeye and Ant-Man being the two primary ones. Clint comes out of retirement and leaves his family to help Cap risking becoming a fugitive. Scott Lang who is trying to reconnect with his daughter also seemed to have no issues with possibly losing custody rights and going to jail to help Cap who as far as we know he's never even met despite the fact he was supposed to be an Avenger at the end of Ant-Man.

-So the big reveal is that Zemo just wanted to tear the Avengers apart. Sorry but that's a lame copout and I 100% believe that if this happened in a DC movie directed by Zack Snyder fans would scream bloody murder. If he was working with Crossbones I would possibly let it slide but as it is his plan depends way too much on movie script logic to work.

-So Cap is able to just free everyone from The Raft an underwater super prison with no issues at all? Ok then.

Overall it's just disappointing. The movie had me annoyed with the shitty action sequencing shooting at the beginning, had my spirits up and made me think this might be my second favorite movie by the airport scene and totally blew the landing. It's still a 3/5 for me and it has a lot of the same issues that BVS had which people wanted to focus on with that movie.
agreee 100%
Old 05-09-16, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I went on Friday and spent the Weekend ruminating about it. It was OK to good. It does not deserve the massive praise and masturbation that it is getting here. And I knew there would be the usual shots at DC movies; people patting themselves on the back saying how much “better” Marvel does it. People just can’t seem to help themselves. And it is getting sickening actually.

Batman VS. Superman was a better movie in my opinion. Many here enjoyed it according to the poll as it was overwhelmingly positive. But the usual digs in here at it were expected.

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
For all the crude BvS has received over the "Martha", it cracked me up that Civil War pulled the same thing with "Bucky".
-A friend of mine always gives me crap about "Martha", after watching the movie with him I told him "He can now longer say that because his "Movie" did the same thing".

Other things that were similar to the BvS:
-Bad guy was the one pulling strings throughout the movie
-Bad is caught and in a prison cell at the end of the movie
-Political meeting is blown up and many people die
-New character come out of nowhere...an King and a Princess (Emissaries...sort of)
This is spot on!!

Now onto CW severally flawed. Most have already brought up the issues that I have with it as well.

Spider-Man still looked like shit way to bright; I liked how he was portrayed however.

The Black Panther; how anyone loved that character is beyond me. Hated it.

Can’t stand Ant/Giant-Man thought that was terrible as well and how he was used with the exception of him on Hawkeye’s arrow.

Scarlet Witch meh and Vision not used enough.

The main fight scene was cool but Ant/Giant-man ruined it for me. I thought it was ridiculous how it looked.

I could go on and on. I would give it a 2.5-3 out of 5 probably. I will see it again but can wait for the blu. Serves me right I guess taking the day off to see it.

The arguments over Captain/Iron Man screen time are interesting. I thought Cap was in it way more(too much) and wanted to see Iron Man more. Even though CATWS is my favorite Marvel movie and I like Cap more than Iron Man.
Old 05-09-16, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
And I knew there would be the usual shots at DC movies; people patting themselves on the back saying how much “better” Marvel does it. People just can’t seem to help themselves. And it is getting sickening actually.
People are saying it because it's absolutely true. It is, oh it is.

Batman VS. Superman was a better movie in my opinion.

I didn't know Zach Snyder posted here!
Thanks for the laugh, I needed that - it's been a rough Monday morning.
Old 05-09-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

quickest movie turn in dvdtalk history.

The film was even better the 2nd time I saw it. Word of mouth is going to be amazing for this. I haven't heard a bad review from people I know who have seen it. In the real world.

And as a hardcore DC fan, this just makes BVS feel more disappointing.
Old 05-09-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck

The film was even better the 2nd time I saw it. Word of mouth is going to be amazing for this. I haven't heard a bad review from people I know who have seen it. In the real world.
hey i thought it was great dont get me wrong, but it is far from flawless. It has a shit ton of flaws from my opinion.

without comparisons because its pointless to but it was a bad on terms of continuation of the whole story. Cap should have died to save it at the end.
Old 05-09-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
People are saying it because it's absolutely true. It is, oh it is.

I didn't know Zach Snyder posted here!
Thanks for the laugh, I needed that - it's been a rough Monday morning.

Originally Posted by stingermck

And as a hardcore DC fan, this just makes BVS feel more disappointing.
My opinion is no more valid than anyone here or yours. BvS I enjoyed better. People can have different opinions funny how that work. Simple as that laugh and jerk-off all you want over this movie. It simply isn't that great to me and I gave valid points. I am not a big fan of DC movies; go check out the "Nolan" Batman threads as I didn't like those either. But I did like Man of Steel.

But whatever I expected as much from at least one of you.
Old 05-09-16, 10:40 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

My opinion is no more valid than anyone here or yours. BvS I enjoyed better. People can have different opinions funny how that work. Simple as that laugh and jerk-off all you want over this movie. It simply isn't that great to me and I gave valid points. I am not a big fan of DC movies; go check out the "Nolan" Batman threads as I didn't like those either. But I did like Man of Steel.

your condescension of people enjoying this movie is what's bringing out those types of responses. it was perfectly civil before that. you say "People can have different opinions funny how that work" yet you come at them with shit like masterbating and jerking to it.
Old 05-09-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It probably didn't help that you kicked off your post by basically insulting people raving about this moving and people who had anything negative to say about Batman V Superman.

Nothing wrong with a differing opinion, but you were standoffish to start. I don't see an issue with people liking BvS more, but a few of the recent posts seem proactively wanting to start with the fanboy accusations rather then accepting that both critic and user reviews are overwhelmingly in favor of Civil War. The comparisons are inevitable, and the minority seem extra upset and defensive.
Old 05-09-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There have been two DC movies in this supposed new universe of theirs. I have enjoyed both. The constant DC bashing is nauseating however. Not every Marvel movie has been a home run either.

My intent was not to bash or insult. After reading it again it does come across that way so I will apologize.

I think I am probably just irritated that I didn't enjoy it more after being so hyped to see it.
Old 05-09-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

This movie was amazing!!

Through out the first 30 minutes I keep saying to myself best comic book movie ever!! (I love The Dark Knight, but i see that movie more as a thriller than superhero)

Anyways is when Spiderman was introduced that the tone changed a bit, everything and everyone up to that point was there for a reason. But then Tony recruiting Spiderman (as amazing as that scene was) felt out of place. He was burning with guilt over this kid dying while they were "kicking ass" so him recruiting another kid felt a bit irresponsible.

Anyhow the airport fight with Spiderman in it, was so fricking cool that my brain kinda let it go
Old 05-09-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" Did you guys ever see that really old movie, Empire Strikes Back ? " -- Spidey
Old 05-09-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There have been two DC movies in this supposed new universe of theirs. I have enjoyed both. The constant DC bashing is nauseating however. Not every Marvel movie has been a home run either.
But realistically, every single Marvel movie has been critically better received then Man of Steel and Batman V Superman. So while it probably sounds like bashing to people who have really enjoyed the DC movies (and frustrating to constantly hear/read about), for a large part of the audience it's criticism and disappointment that they're not as good as people hoped they would be.
Old 05-09-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

So does this make Captain America one of the best, if not the best comic book trilogies?

I know some people think the First Avengers is weak, but Winter Soldier is solid, as well as Civil War.

AS much as I like TDK trilogy, Rises does not hold up well compared to the first 2.
Old 05-09-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I love all the Dark Knight movies, and the third one is probably the one I seen the most.

And I also love all The Captain America movies.
But the cap movies cheat a little bit cause they build from other movies so....

Last edited by nando820; 05-09-16 at 01:53 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.