Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Reviews Thread
1.33%
4.67%
18.67%
19.33%
17.33%
18.67%
8.67%
4.00%
1.33%
2.00%
2.00%
What are you high?
2.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,077 Posts
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Flawed product or not. I think it'd be a bad idea to do that. The difference would be big. The TV world wouldn't translate to Movie world. In visual or even executed scope. TV Flash doing TV limited things would be a massive difference from what Movie Flash will end up being in visual action.
I'd argue that the effects on The Flash are pretty darn impressive and wouldn't need a whole lot of upgrades to be movie-ready.

Similar to how Firefly translated to Serenity. The effects on Firefly were fine. They were just "upgraded" for Serenity.
Old 04-12-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,177 Likes on 916 Posts
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Snyder, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Yeah I agree that The Flash is pretty impressive for being a CW series. I think it would have worked fine to incorporate that universe into the film universe other than the fact that the tone of the films has to be dark and serious.
Old 04-12-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

My problem with that example for me is that Serenity looked like a relatively cheap TV episode when I saw it in theaters.
Old 04-12-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

There are many practical reasons why you wouldn't want the Flash from television being a part of the movie universe. Television stars have very tight schedules, it would be almost impossible for Grant Gustin to shoot a blockbuster movie while the show was still on the air.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 04-12-16 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I'd argue that the effects on The Flash are pretty darn impressive and wouldn't need a whole lot of upgrades to be movie-ready.

Similar to how Firefly translated to Serenity. The effects on Firefly were fine. They were just "upgraded" for Serenity.
Impressive for TV but not for film. And then when Flash gets back to TV the effects will never live up to the situation he was in this or that movie. It's awkward juxtaposition of a character in different formats but same continuity.
Old 04-12-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Flawed product or not. I think it'd be a bad idea to do that. The difference would be big. The TV world wouldn't translate to Movie world. In visual or even executed scope. TV Flash doing TV limited things would be a massive difference from what Movie Flash will end up being in visual action.
I get what you are saying. I even agree to a certain extent. One of the big differences I see between the TV world and the movie world is the darker tone in the movie world. We are seeing what the fans think of that darker tone right now. I truly believe that if the showrunners were given the budget of a movie, they could produce a top notch movie for the DC universe.
Old 04-12-16, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,177 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There are many practical reasons why you wouldn't the Flash from television being a part of the movie universe. Television stars have very tight schedules, it would be almost impossible for Grant Gustin to shoot a blockbuster movie while the show was still on the air.
I'm sure they would have found a way around that. He'd still be working for a division of WB its not like he'd be going to do a film for a rival studio. Plus the series is established and relatively successful so a lot of the audience would carry over to see him in a film and in turn the film may have made more people tune into the series. All around it makes more sense than it doesn't.
Old 04-12-16, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I get what you are saying. I even agree to a certain extent. One of the big differences I see between the TV world and the movie world is the darker tone in the movie world. We are seeing what the fans think of that darker tone right now. I truly believe that if the showrunners were given the budget of a movie, they could produce a top notch movie for the DC universe.
that and actually write a script worth a damn cuz take away all the action (which has rarely been good) and powers along with keeping it down to the character drama? It's shitty and stupid.

Like... they're cliche Network characters. The interactions, reactions, lines, etc.
Old 04-12-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

There are many practical reasons why you wouldn't the Flash from television being a part of the movie universe. Television stars have very tight schedules, it would be almost impossible for Grant Gustin to shoot a blockbuster movie while the show was still on the air.

Say what?!
Old 04-12-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Yep, BTTF was filmed in the middle of the night since Fox's days were spent at Family Ties.

Here's another one:

Farley and Spade filmed Tommy Boy and SNL at the same time in different cities:
  • Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: Tommy Boy in Toronto
  • Wednesday: SNL readthrough in NYC
  • Thursday: Tommy Boy in Toronto
  • Friday, Saturday: SNL in NYC
source: http://thebiglead.com/2015/03/27/tommy-boy-is-20-years-old-here-are-20-fun-facts-about-the-movie/[/url]
Old 04-12-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm sure they would have found a way around that. He'd still be working for a division of WB its not like he'd be going to do a film for a rival studio. Plus the series is established and relatively successful so a lot of the audience would carry over to see him in a film and in turn the film may have made more people tune into the series. All around it makes more sense than it doesn't.
The various divisions of Warner are about as cutthroat with each other as they are with other studios.

Originally Posted by devilshalo

Say what?!
In that case, it was a film designed to fit around Michael J Fox's tv schedule. When Grant Gustin is available from the show might not fit in with when Ben Affleck, Henry Cavil and Gal Gadot are available.
Old 04-12-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

This was my line of thinking/rationalizing when they announced they'd keep the universes separate. I was all for it. I mean you can't have Flash doing all this cool ass shit on film and a fancy new costume and then go back to a cheap costume and hinder his abilities on a TV budget. It would be a "Firestorm on Legends" kind of scenario. It would kind of suck.

However, it's clear this universe needs a lighter tone or character and after falling in love with the Flash/Gustin, they could have made it work if they wanted to. They just don't give a rats ass to even try.

As for Warner's not having a fucking clue... I was one of the few keeping an open mind for BvS and thought jumping into the 'team-up' head first was fine. That aspect kind of was fine and despite really liking BvS, in spite of the non Superman, it's time to own up. After seeing the final product twice, Warner Bros. doesn't have a fucking clue.

Snyder and Warner are halfway competent which is frustrating. Enough to give you some cool shit, but fuck other things up at the same time. They just need a Feige to oversee the script stages and reel in some of the dumber ideas. As of now it just seems Snyder and Co have free reign to do whatever they see fit.
Old 04-12-16, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
My problem with that example for me is that Serenity looked like a relatively cheap TV episode when I saw it in theaters.
See I fully disagree with that. The show of the armada coming out of the clouds is one of my favorite movie images ever.
Old 04-12-16, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best BvS video review:

Old 04-12-16, 06:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To me, Grant Gustin IS Barry Allen. I have zero interest in We Need To Talk About Kevin taking on the role.

Personally, I think the current Flash TV series is far and away the best handling of any DC property since The Dark Knight.
Old 04-12-16, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

There are many practical reasons why you wouldn't the Flash from television being a part of the movie universe. Television stars have very tight schedules,
Right... but only 8 months out of the year. TV stars make movies on their down time all the time.
Old 04-12-16, 07:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Right... but only 8 months out of the year. TV stars make movies on their down time all the time.
And besides, I'm sure the show in question shoots more quickly than others.
Old 04-12-16, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

‘Deadpool’ Isn’t the Only Solution. But ‘Batman v Superman’ Is the Problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/17/mo...blem.html?_r=0
Old 04-12-16, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So there's a four month window in which he might shoot. What happens if Justice League is shooting concurrently with Flash?
Old 04-12-16, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
And besides, I'm sure the show in question shoots more quickly than others.
Old 04-12-16, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
So there's a four month window in which he might shoot. What happens if Justice League is shooting concurrently with Flash?
JL is shooting now. And Flash has finished, or is very close to finishing for the season. Why couldn't they make it work again??
Old 04-12-16, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222

Jesus, that article is as self indulgent as the movie.
Old 04-12-16, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

JL is shooting now. And Flash has finished, or is very close to finishing for the season. Why couldn't they make it work again??
True, but when was the BVS Flash material filmed? Will it work to film Justice League 2 through 700 in the off time for a CW show? It might work now, but it gets tougher to juggle down the line.
Old 04-12-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Jesus, that article is as self indulgent as the movie.
I almost posted the same thing. Verbose nonsense.
Old 04-12-16, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222

"lugubrious solemnity and generic philosophizing"

Fuck you, Wesley Morris.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.