Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

10 Cloverfield Lane (Trachtenberg, 2016) The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: 10 Cloverfield Lane (Trachtenberg, 2016) — The Reviews Thread
4.65%
20.93%
51.16%
11.63%
4.65%
2.33%
4.65%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

10 Cloverfield Lane (Trachtenberg, 2016) The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: 10 Cloverfield Lane (Trachtenberg, 2016) The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Really? I find that hard to believe...
The beauty of this movie is that it's a standalone movie. You do not need any knowledge of "Cloverfield" to fully enjoy this one. The marketing was similar, though.

But....
Spoiler:
read a rumor that the next movie might have some ties to Cloverfield
Old 03-11-16, 08:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The beauty of this movie is that it's a standalone movie. You do not need any knowledge of "Cloverfield" to fully enjoy this one. The marketing was similar, though.

But....
Spoiler:
read a rumor that the next movie might have some ties to Cloverfield
Oh no, definitely a standalone. Just got back from seeing it myself. Excellent, so we'll done. Tense and taught throughout. I didn't even need the ending to solidify this was a well crafted, very well acted movie. I did have to think twice about the ending but was satisfied fully nonetheless.

Four stars from me.
Old 03-11-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by jwb0323
Spoiler:
I haven't seen cloverfirld in a while. You mean the explosions and alien takeover wasn't referring to events in that movie? Was the alien different?
Nope. It was all
Spoiler:
bullshit from Howard in Cloverfield Lane.
"Cloverfield" seems to be an anthology of sorts. This is completely a standalone flick. Hell, the only similarities to Cloverfield is in the title.

Yes, the
Spoiler:
alien was different.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-12-16 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-12-16, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Got a War Of The Worlds vibe at the end

Well made movie for low budget

Not sure i'll ever watch it again
Old 03-12-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Fun theory from the IMDB boards.

Okay, so we know through the ARG that Howard is a Telemetry Analyst at Bold Futura. On his employee of the month timeline it states that he had a "breakthrough diagnosing transmission complications with two of our governmental clients' orbiting satellites". He is no stranger to diagnosing satellite issues, so in the past he found that that one of the companies satellites was downed in the Atlantic ocean (this was the ChimpanzIII satellite that crashed at the end of Cloverfield). He told his bosses about the problem, which caused Tagruato to contact the Chuai station to send down some submarines to locate and retrieve the satellite. While down there, they awaken the monster in the first Cloverfield and that *beep* destroys NYC.

Seeing the destruction of NYC, Howard decides to build a bunker. As construction of his bunker begins he only gets more and more paranoid about any apocalyptic scenario that might occur (he has a lot of ideas against the soviets). His wife leaves him, causing him to be more and more desperate for someone, so he kidnaps the neighbor girl Brittany. The ARG has a lot to do with him and his email 'exchanges' with his daughter, but in the end he gets a message from an unknown person who sends him an encrypted image of an alien spaceship in space. So, from here, he goes to the bunker because he knows some *beep* is about to go down.
Personally I believe 10 Cloverfield Lane will connect with The Big Lebowski. 10 Cloverfield Lane depicts Walter Sobchak 20 years later.
Old 03-12-16, 03:06 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I enjoyed it. It was pretty much the inverse of the first movie, almost all indoors, no shaky cam, everything laid out very plainly, slow build up of tension without any jump scares or massive action set pieces. The filmmakers did a great job of laying each element on top of the previous ones, letting the tension release just enough to slowly build it up again to an even higher pitch. Goodman and Winstead are both fantastic.

Since Trachtenberg and Abrams keep saying this and the first movie aren't on the same "timeline", I'm thinking that either the events of the first film happened in this world but were covered up as something else, or the third film will reveal that Traguato has the technology to hop dimensions or something of that sort, the use of which triggers the events of the films.

Or likely it's neither and I'm reading too much into it.
Old 03-12-16, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Was surprised to see Damien Chazelle as a screenwriter, looks like he was attached to direct until he got funding for Whiplash.
Old 03-12-16, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I thought it was an entertaining film, well made, well acted by Goodman, M.E. Winstead and Bradley Cooper. Not a classic by any means, but a pretty solid suspense thriller.

Didn't really care much for the Emmett character though, so much so that...

Spoiler:
...his death scene barely affected me. (Maybe I would have been more affected if Howard had forced Emmett into the acid vat instead of shooting him). In fact, I was kinda glad to see Emmett removed from the movie since he was rather annoying and didn't really add much to the storyline other than to drop some exposition and to be a sounding board for Michelle.

Also, can filmmakers come up with more imaginative ways to kill an alien creature than throwing an explosive in its mouth? This is the second movie in which Winstead has done that.
Old 03-12-16, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bradley Cooper? Yeah, you didn't care about the Emmett character
Old 03-12-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really great movie... but

Spoiler:
Who the fuck locked the hatch to the air filtration system from the inside? Howard sure as hell didn't crawl through the vents to do it.

Edit: I know he tried to pull down some panel from the ceiling beforehand sending her through the vents that turned out to be stuck, but I didn't see anything that looked like where that would feed into the room.

Last edited by CaptainMarvel; 03-12-16 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-12-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I thought it was an entertaining film, well made, well acted by Goodman, M.E. Winstead and Bradley Cooper. Not a classic by any means, but a pretty solid suspense thriller.

Didn't really care much for the Emmett character though, so much so that...

Spoiler:
...his death scene barely affected me. (Maybe I would have been more affected if Howard had forced Emmett into the acid vat instead of shooting him). In fact, I was kinda glad to see Emmett removed from the movie since he was rather annoying and didn't really add much to the storyline other than to drop some exposition and to be a sounding board for Michelle.

Also, can filmmakers come up with more imaginative ways to kill an alien creature than throwing an explosive in its mouth? This is the second movie in which Winstead has done that.
Bradley Cooper? Now I know you're full of shit.

Old 03-12-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Really great movie... but

Spoiler:
Who the fuck locked the hatch to the air filtration system from the inside? Howard sure as hell didn't crawl through the vents to do it.
I am not an expert but I would imagine in the real world you wouldn't do that. Chalk it up to creative license.
Old 03-12-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Speaking of Emmett related scenes -

Spoiler:
That acid vat stuff was pretty careless on Howard's part- if it was that dangerous, he'd be pretty stupid not to have a fucking mask on. Plus he was dropping stuff in from above the barrel with no concern for splashing.
Old 03-12-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Speaking of Emmett related scenes -

Spoiler:
That acid vat stuff was pretty careless on Howard's part- if it was that dangerous, he'd be pretty stupid not to have a fucking mask on. Plus he was dropping stuff in from above the barrel with no concern for splashing.
Plus...
Spoiler:
Howard told her it was all cleaned, yet Emmett was still "processing"
Old 03-12-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - S: Goodman, Winstead, Gallagher

Anyone recommend seeing this in IMAX? Not sure how much it would add, if anything.
Old 03-12-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nth Power
Anyone recommend seeing this in IMAX? Not sure how much it would add, if anything.
The sound design is phenomenal.
Old 03-12-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nth Power
Is the price difference a big deal? If not then, sure, why not. If you don't like spending too much then the ROI for an IMAX ticket might be diminished. Without spoiling the movie, most of it does take place in the bunker and is dialogue-driven.
Old 03-12-16, 02:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't pay extra money to see it in IMAX.
Old 03-12-16, 04:51 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my Facebook review today:

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you." This old saying gets a bit of a work-out in the latest movie from JJ Abrams and his Bad Robot production company. Up front, be clear that 10 Cloverfield Lane is related to the 2008 "found footage" monster flick in name only - sort of. Michelle, a young woman in Louisiana (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) who's running away from a relationship, is in a car wreck, and wakes up chained to a wall in a well-equipped doomsday bunker. The bunker is the creation of Howard (John Goodman), an extremely agitated prepper with a savior complex and a hair-trigger temper. Also in the bunker is the likable Emmett, a local boy who helped Howard build the shelter, and who fled to it when, well, something happened. What happened? We aren't really sure at first, and Michelle isn't buying into her situation, until it seems she has to. There are two or three plot-twists in this relatively suspenseful movie, and Michelle is a pretty smart cookie, quickly analyzing and adapting to every new challenge and truth she is faced with. Including the one that consumes the last 30 minutes of 10 Cloverfield Lane, which turns it into a completely different movie than the one it started out as.

Although I am not one for "kidnapped hostage" type films (as this starts out), it was interesting to see John Goodman play this type of character. And as the movie progresses, it morphs into something bigger than the three-person story it begins as. 10 Cloverfield Lane gets a 3 out of 5 stars from me, a decent thriller that ends up being something surprising and maybe a little unexpected by the end.
Old 03-12-16, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so would you say this movie is a
Spoiler:
prequel to the events of Cloverfield or simultaneously?
Spoiler:
While Cloverfield takes place in 2008, this is in 2014/2015, as evidenced by the inspection sticker in the window of Michelle's car.
Old 03-12-16, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aside from certain things stringing along... I'm guessing this just an anthology type of thing. Depending on where they go for the third film. Which they've talked about to the public.
Old 03-12-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do we really have to put spoilers in our posts if the thread title itself says SPOILERS?

Anyways, just came back from seeing it and thought it was terrific. Great job of maintaining a constant sense of tension. It would deflate a bit at points and let the audience breathe, but then ratchet itself back up in no time. It felt almost like a three character play with the single set.

Agreed that if you're expecting anything like the first movie, you will be disappointed, so it'll be interesting to see how general audiences react. It's a story that just happens to take place in that universe, and approached in a very different way.
Old 03-12-16, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I wouldn't pay extra money to see it in IMAX.
I paid for IMAX and really regret it. Still liked the movie, though.
Old 03-13-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

My only issue with this movie is the execution of the last 10 minutes, felt rushed and I didn't care for a few directorial choices, but overall I dug the movie. Winstead was a solid anchor for Goodman, who absolutely nailed it.

That all said, I'd like to have JJ oversee a Half-Life movie one of these days.
Old 03-13-16, 04:21 PM

Did anyone else catch the "Kelvin" gas station sign. Another little Abrams easter egg. And apparently, Bradley Cooper was Ben, Michelle's finance, on the phone...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.