Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that shot scenes specifically for the trailers?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that shot scenes specifically for the trailers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-16, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 202 Posts
Re: Movies that shot scenes specifically for the trailers?

I think it is a crappy thing to do you go to the movie expecting to see a certain scene and find out it is not there. Bait and switch.
Old 03-06-16, 12:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I just thought of all the Pixar teasers that use exclusive footage. Basically all of their films after the original Toy Story has had a teaser with exclusive footage.

Monsters Inc took it a step further and had a trailer specifically to run in front of Harry Potter.
That reminded me. Wayne's World (1992) had a trailer designed to run in front of The Addam's Family (1991).

<html><body><object data="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0jNURQc_Y6U" width="560" height="315"></object></body></html>
Old 03-06-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I always assumed that the majority of the time, trailer editors have a certain amount of shots they can pick from, and sometimes they're alternate takes or shots that don't make it into the final edit.
I read something a while back that trailers are edited by the marketing department. So they'll go through the script looking for scenes they think will work best in trailer format, and they'll pull those from the completed footage.

That's why so many scenes people enjoy from trailers don't make it into the final movie: you've got two different editors working for different purposes.
Old 03-06-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I think it is a crappy thing to do you go to the movie expecting to see a certain scene and find out it is not there. Bait and switch.
That can apply to trailers with "deleted" footage, but I don't think applies to most of the trailers mentioned so far in this thread, where the footage made exclusively for the trailer often makes it explicit that it's "trailer only" footage.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I read something a while back that trailers are edited by the marketing department. So they'll go through the script looking for scenes they think will work best in trailer format, and they'll pull those from the completed footage.
Close, but it's typically done by specialized trailer editing companies like Ant Farm, which work in conjunction with marketing, but also with the director giving input.

Also, sometimes they start trailer editing from a script, but many trailers start from a rough cut of the film.

See this article:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090821...-park-ant-farm
The process of constructing a trailer begins early, sometimes before a film has even begun shooting, when a studio will send over a copy of the script for the company to start picking out scenes and dialogue to utilize in a trailer. Trailers can also begin to take shape as footage from a film set -- called dailies -- dribbles in as it is shot. Most of the time, though, Coulter says, his company receives an early cut of the film, often twice as long as the finished product, which is why there are often scenes in the trailer that aren’t in the movie.
More info on how trailers are made:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2005/apr/01/2
http://www.moviemaker.com/archives/m...business-3356/
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/28/ma...l-take-34.html
Old 03-06-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deadpool had a spate of "Deadpool talks to the audience" promos, including this Superb Owl trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHZkqcfZAQ8

Fierce Creatures had a teaser with a shot of a fishbowl referencing A Fish Called Wanda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbmpM04WgaY

Wolf has a teaser that includes a "moon turns into an eye" shot and Jack Nicholson hovering over Michelle Pfeiffer that I don't believe is from the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-6yn9t2lQk

Also, I found an early Toy Story trailer that includes "behind the scenes" footage of voice acting sessions, and unfinished renders of some shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFeKccOSKtU
Old 03-06-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw a trailer for a new movie called Nine Lives that looks like it has original trailer footage at the beginning:

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 had trailers that were framed as official addresses from President Snow:

The Santa Clause 2 teaser trailer had footage of Tim Allen talking to the audience, then dropping a snow globe:

The Thing (1982) had a teaser of a block of ice breaking open:

Home Alone 2 had a teaser where the Statue of Liberty makes the "Home Alone" face:

Adams Family had a teaser of the family in a movie theater snapping along to the theme music:

Adams Family Values teaser:

MIB teaser:

South Park teaser with exclusive Cartman footage:

Last edited by Groucho; 03-07-17 at 11:26 PM. Reason: revert spoiler tags
Old 03-06-16, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Worked my way to the Z titles....

Zoolander 2 teaser:

Zootopia teaser:

Last edited by Groucho; 03-07-17 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-06-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
Titanic teaser with Old Rose (Gloria Stewart) in her room reminiscing. This was briefly shown in theatres more than a year before the release and seems impossible to find anywhere.
I can't find any info on this teaser anywhere on the net. The first trailer for Titanic, from what I can tell, was shown at ShoWest in March 1997.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...I/ZZfcyDwQbfwJ

This purports to be that trailer:

Last edited by Groucho; 03-07-17 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-06-16, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

1:15

Old 03-06-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

0:19

Old 03-07-16, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zero
[Mortal Kombat Trailer] 1:15
Originally Posted by zero
[Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)] 0:19
Those look to be examples of trailers containing deleted footage, which, while interesting, is specifically not what the thread is asking about.

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
To be clear, I don't mean scenes used in the trailer that were later deleted from the finished film but were originally intended to be used in the movie or alternate takes of scenes that were in the actual movie, but scenes that were specifically shot just for the trailer
Old 03-20-16, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Prometheus had a few exclusive-footage promos. One was an ad for the "David" Android:

Then the Peter Weyland TED talk:
https://vimeo.com/50383392

The Prometheus ad reminded me that I, Robot made a similar ad for the robot model in that movie:

Last edited by Groucho; 03-07-17 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For Ant-Man, there was a series of 5 "WHiH: Newsfront" Promos made:

Old 03-21-16, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those look to be examples of trailers containing deleted footage, which, while interesting, is specifically not what the thread is asking about.

Last edited by Groucho; 03-07-17 at 11:27 PM. Reason: revert spoiler tags
Old 03-21-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
For example:

That's one of my all-time favorite movies and I've never seen that trailer. Thanks for posting
Old 03-21-16, 06:32 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks again for all of the information and movie trailers. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-22-16, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Judd Apatow comedies must drive you nuts.
Old 03-23-16, 08:50 AM

I remember the Fast Five trailer at the end had the team walk away from the beach toward the camera in slo-mo. That wasn't in Fast Five, but they put that in the opening credits for Furious 6 with the flashbacks.
Old 03-23-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay Beezy
I remember the Fast Five trailer at the end had the team walk away from the beach toward the camera in slo-mo. That wasn't in Fast Five, but they put that in the opening credits for Furious 6 with the flashbacks.
I think you're referring to "trailer 2" here, at about the 2:19 mark:

That looks more like a case of deleted footage being used for the trailer, instead of a shot made specifically for the trailer. Hard to know for sure though.

Old 03-23-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bean: The Movie had a teaser trailer that was a parody of (I think) a perfume ad:

Last edited by Groucho; 03-07-17 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 10:14 AM

I think you're referring to "trailer 2" here, at about the 2:19 mark:
https://youtu.be/kX46EQ7HWKc?t=2m18s

That looks more like a case of deleted footage being used for the trailer, instead of a shot made specifically for the trailer. Hard to know for sure though.
You sure about that? It definitely looks for the trailer only. The entire crew lined up walking slo-mo toward the camera, not to mention the air blowing toward them which you can see from some of their eye's squinting and the girls' hair flowing backward. There's no scene in the movie where the entire crew are at the beach in Rio.

Last edited by Groucho; 03-07-17 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You sure about that? It definitely looks for the trailer only. The entire crew lined up walking slo-mo toward the camera, not to mention the air blowing toward them which you can see from some of their eye's squinting and the girls' hair flowing backward. There's no scene in the movie where the entire crew are at the beach in Rio.
Maybe it's part of a deleted scene? Or maybe the shot was intended to be included in the film as part of a montage or something.

Here's a video with Vin Diesel saying they "just wrapped" filming of the movie at Ipanema Beach in Rio. He's wearing the same clothes as in that slo-mo walk shot:

It's possible that they factored in that shot into the production schedule, making it the last shot filmed, specifically to include only in the trailer. But it's hard to say for sure one way or the other.

Last edited by Groucho; 03-07-17 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 05:32 PM

Maybe it's part of a deleted scene? Or maybe the shot was intended to be included in the film as part of a montage or something.

Here's a video with Vin Diesel saying they "just wrapped" filming of the movie at Ipanema Beach in Rio. He's wearing the same clothes as in that slo-mo walk shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpqNouSqxYA

It's possible that they factored in that shot into the production schedule, making it the last shot filmed, specifically to include only in the trailer. But it's hard to say for sure one way or the other.
There is no context to that bit, other than to say we have people from all films in the franchise together in one team literally directly to the audience.

They have wind blowing at them as if it's a photoshoot, not an actual scene in the movie.

Last edited by Groucho; 03-07-17 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is no context to that bit, other than to say we have people from all films in the franchise together in one team literally directly to the audience.

They have wind blowing at them as if it's a photoshoot, not an actual scene in the movie.
Again, hard to say it was definitively shot for the trailer. It could've been shot for an end credits sequence, showcasing the cast, for example.

In my original reply I wrote that it was "hard to know for sure." I'm not saying it definitely wasn't shot for the trailer, it could've been, but there's nothing that says conclusively that it was.

For me, so much of the Fast & Furious series doesn't make logistical sense that it wouldn't surprise me either way.
Old 03-27-16, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hook teaser trailer showing that the magnifying glass is an attachment that's switched out at the end:

Jurassic Park teaser with some, maybe all, footage shot specifically for the trailer:

North teaser has Elijah Wood talking straight to the camera:

Stephen King talks about Maximum Overdrive:

Found a Youtube Playlist of "Special Shoot" trailers, and other rare trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Xywqg75n0f1Rc2

Last edited by Groucho; 03-07-17 at 11:25 PM. Reason: revert spoiler tags

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.