Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hostiles (2017, D: Scott Cooper) S: Christian Bale, Wes Studi, Rosamund Pike

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hostiles (2017, D: Scott Cooper) S: Christian Bale, Wes Studi, Rosamund Pike

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Hostiles (2017, D: Scott Cooper) S: Christian Bale, Wes Studi, Rosamund Pike

Started the BD on Sat. and finished Sunday.

Gripping movie from Scott Cooper.
Terrific cast, but the real standout is Christian Bale.
IMO, it's his best performance yet.
Old 05-14-18, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Hostiles (2017, D: Scott Cooper) S: Christian Bale, Wes Studi, Rosamund Pike

I watch last night renting from Netflix and I thought it was great. I also agreed that Bale was outstanding in his performance. Loved the music by Max Richter, just haunting beautiful.
Old 05-14-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
There's a great movie here within a poorly edited merely good one. Cooper's films all have good central performances but the films meander and just lack that focus of masterworks.
This is what worries me about this film. I think I may find it dull. Will take the plunge at some point, thankfully at home so I can pause if need be.
Old 05-14-18, 10:15 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
This is what worries me about this film. I think I may find it dull. Will take the plunge at some point, thankfully at home so I can pause if need be.
I agree with the sentiment previously stated, but the film is definitely not dull. It's just when it's over though... you'll feel like, eh... they could've cut some of those scenes. That was my issue with it.
Old 05-14-18, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We also watched it recently and enjoyed it. Yeah, it's a little too long, but totally worth checking out. We had to watch it over two nights since it was long and we were getting tired. The scenery was absolutely amazing though. And that opening scene, oh man...
Old 05-14-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
The scenery was absolutely amazing though.
Filmed in Colorado and New Mexico's high desert.
It could easily have been filmed here in Oregon if needed be.
Old 07-03-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Just finished this and really enjoyed it. The movie didn't turn out like I expected it.

Spoiler:
I thought the whole movie would be based upon the hunt and revenge upon the Indians that attacked the homestead.

I have a small question: How did the soldier with the bushy beard die?

Spoiler:
It sort of looked like he committed suicide after tracking down and killing the escaped prisoner -- he was holding his pistol and he had a gunshot wound to the head -- but it wasn't clearly stated that he took his own life. It was implied much like the rape of the women.
Old 07-03-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by funkyryno

I have a small question: How did the soldier with the bushy beard die?

Spoiler:
It sort of looked like he committed suicide after tracking down and killing the escaped prisoner -- he was holding his pistol and he had a gunshot wound to the head -- but it wasn't clearly stated that he took his own life. It was implied much like the rape of the women.
Yup, it was implied (strongly IMO).
Old 10-12-18, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

I loved this!

Great scenery, great performances, great cast.

The opening scene is shocking and the final shot is wonderfully satisfying.

I agree with the poster above who said this is Bale’s best performance. It’s not showy at all. Perfectly subtle. The scene where
Spoiler:
he breaks down after finding his dead friend
is some of the best acting I’ve seen in a long time.

It does get a little slow at times but it picks up the pace when needed. I also agree that there’s a subplot that could have been edited out completely but I guess I understand why they left it in.

Overall