Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Annihilation (2018, D: Alex Garland) S: Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Annihilation (2018, D: Alex Garland) S: Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Annihilation (2018, D: Alex Garland) S: Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac

Originally Posted by James T. Kirk
For me, it's 36 right now with a 14 mph wind and I have a strong urge to die.

Oh, you people are funny! That’s shorts weather.
Old 02-24-18, 12:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

Oh, you people are funny! That’s shorts weather.
mother of christ!
Old 02-24-18, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved it. It's like Tarkovsky's Stalker by way of H.P. Lovecraft. Gorgeous and gruesome, often within the same shot. I read the book a couple months ago and I actually think this is a great example of the adaptation surpassing the source material. The novel feels like a pencil sketch, whereas this feels like a fully realized painting.
Old 02-24-18, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I really liked it, expect this to stay in my top 5, if not top 3 of the year. One question though...

Spoiler:
It really threw me off when in the final segment of the movie we see Lena watching the camcorder footage in the lighthouse. The version of Kane that kills himself with a phosphorus grenade is clearly speaking in a southern accent. Another version of Kane, without an accent, steps out from behind the camera. In the flashbacks between Lena and Kane, Kane doesn't speak with an accent. I had assumed the suicide was the original Kane and the alien clone the one that was recording. What am I missing, shouldn't flashback Kane also have had a southern accent?
What is everyone's opinion on the final scene, are the versions of Lena and Kane we see both alien clones, or both their original human versions? Or alien clone Kane and original Lena? (the last one being what I thought as I was watching it)
Old 02-24-18, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Saw this last night.

I was a bit surprised that I liked it, given that the characters are ridiculously flat.
I was stunned at how flat and boring all the characters were. I thought I read Frances McDormand was up for the Jennifer Jason Leigh part. Not sure if FM passed or what, but what an incredibly boring role and performance from Leigh.

But yep, the rest of it is really kick ass & intriguing.
Old 02-24-18, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Caught this last night. Reminded me a lot of other slow burn thrillers like The Witch, It Follows, and It Comes at Night, and of course Ex-Machina. Basically, something grossly mismarketed by TV spots as a horror flick when in reality it's a sci-fi movie with some scary moments. I saw this with a crowded theater and could tell a majority of them weren't into it. Definitely more of an arthouse kind of sci-fi that they should have done as a limited release with a slow distribution.

Overall, I did like it, especially all of the visuals. The story was basically Outer Limits/Black Mirror with elements of Lovecraft and obvious visual nods to H.R. Giger in production design. Also,

Spoiler:
I too was kind of thrown by Kane suddenly having a southern accent. What we are presuming is the real him in flashbacks didn't speak that way at all. I am guessing that he was from the south and in times of high emotion lets his accent come out. I've noticed this is a common trait amongst southern people (myself included). Or maybe it's just a case where the scene was shot before Issac had a grip on the character. Also, I am presuming that Portman at the end was the real version of her character, but due to so much interaction with the Shimmer had a lot of the alien elements as part of her biology.
Old 02-24-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by James T. Kirk
It's so fricking cold and windy right now where I live that I don't feel motivated to leave the couch.

This.

For me, it's 36 right now with a 14 mph wind and I have a strong urge to die.
Close to 80 degrees today. Have I mentioned I love living in Florida?
Old 02-24-18, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Close to 80 degrees today. Have I mentioned I love living in Florida?
Lucky fucker!
Old 02-24-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, but if it hits 60 he’s breaking out a snowsuit and setting up burn barrels around his house.
Old 02-24-18, 02:18 PM
Banned

Yes, but if it hits 60 he’s breaking out a snowsuit and setting up burn barrels around his house.
Old 02-24-18, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Let's scale back the weather reports. We have dedicated threads for that.
Old 02-24-18, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just saw it and loved it. Dream like, beautiful and horrific all in one.
Old 02-24-18, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tomorrow brings an extended chance of a shimmer front passing through the Midwest. We recommend staying indoors or, if you have to go out, take something a little more powerful than your umbrella as there is also an 80% chance of mutant creatures.

For our friends in the West Coast, prepare yourselves for another heat wave as Natalie Portman, Tessa Thompson, Gina Rodriguez, Tuva Novotny, and Jennifer Jason Leigh all collide in one film. It is going to be HOT.

I can’t wait to see this ...
Old 02-24-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Tomorrow brings an extended chance of a shimmer front passing through the Midwest. We recommend staying indoors or, if you have to go out, take something a little more powerful than your umbrella as there is also an 80% chance of mutant creatures.

For our friends in the West Coast, prepare yourselves for another heat wave as Natalie Portman, Tessa Thompson, Gina Rodriguez, Tuva Novotny, and Jennifer Jason Leigh all collide in one film. It is going to be HOT.

I can’t wait to see this ...

Old 02-24-18, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Just saw it and loved it. Dream like, beautiful and horrific all in one.
Never mind the weather report, how was the movie?
Old 02-25-18, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Never mind the weather report, how was the movie?
I thought it was great. I need to see it again to really absorb it all. I liked it a lot more than arrival, which it is getting compared to.
Old 02-25-18, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was great. I need to see it again to really absorb it all. I liked it a lot more than arrival, which it is getting compared to.
I hope it's better than Arrival, I hated that movie.
Old 02-25-18, 03:15 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I just finished watching it. I liked it better when it was Evolution, with David Duchovney and Orlando Jones. Just substitute Head and Shoulders with the phosphorous grenade...

“Annihilation” (R) - A solid female cast and some good ideas and scares can’t overcome a confusing plot and non-resolution

Natalie Portman is a former soldier turned biologist who joins an expedition into The Shimmer, a phenomenon of “unknown” origin that hides a weirdly-evolving environment. The Shimmer has basically swallowed all others who've entered it, saved one person - Portman's husband (played by Oscar Issac, who spends most of the film either near-catatonic or in a coma.)

The group, lead by a psychologist (Jennifer Jason Leigh), and including Tessa Thompson, Gina Rodriguez and Tuva Novotny, soon discover that all members of previous expeditions are likely dead, either killed by the evolving wildlife or by each other. As the movie progresses, things get even more complicated and confusing, until an ending that, frankly, left me scratching my head.

I understand that director Alex Garland (Ex Machina) had already deviated from the source material, then the studio demanded a less-glum ending, instead of Garland's original vision.

What we end up with is a bunch of good ideas, nice visuals, a couple of scary creatures, elements of “The Thing”, “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”, design elements from the “Alien” series and even the sci-fi comedy “Evolution” thrown into a blender, to create something weird that leaves an odd after-taste.

I was not as enamored with “Annihilation” as others seem to be, and can only give this bit of derivative sci-fi horror 2.5 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES TO PARENTS: MINOR SPOILERS “Annihilation” is rated R for some language, scary and bloody elements, and some brief sexuality. The F-bomb is used infrequently. A character is shown in an ambulance bleeding from the mouth. Encounters with a mutating bear have bloody results. A large alligator threatens the group. There is an overall feeling of dread permeating the film. A video shows a living soldier being cut open to reveal something inside. Flashbacks show a couple having sex, but other than a character's back, no explicit nudity is shown. We also see Portman in a t-shirt and panties in flashback a few times (shown in the trailers).

SHARE this review and LIKE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 02-25-18 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-25-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Wow, Evolution was an awful ripoff of Ghostbusters.
Old 02-25-18, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I hope it's better than Arrival, I hated that movie.
I liked Arrival. I just didn't like how
Spoiler:
the Chinese general gave Amy Adams the info in the future that she needed to do something in the past that she'd apparently already done or the general would probably not have been around to give her that info in the future.
That shit gave me a massive motherfucking headache.
Old 02-25-18, 06:22 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Wow, Evolution was an awful ripoff of Ghostbusters.
Meteor crashes into a remote area, microorganisms begin multiplying/evolving/mutating at an alarming rate, there are weird creatures and an undercover cavern, etc. Both definitely share a few elements, LOL.
Old 02-25-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Comedic ragtag team of scientists take on a giant creature could fit a lot of movie descriptions, like Evolution and Ghostbusters.
Old 02-26-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
I understand that director Alex Garland (Ex Machina) had already deviated from the source material, then the studio demanded a less-glum ending, instead of Garland's original vision.
Scott Rudin (the producer) sided with Alex Garland against one of the financiers (Ellison) who wanted a reshoot.

No reshoot was made.
Old 02-26-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I keep thinking and thinking about this movie which I saw two days ago. I played the track "The Alien" two dozen times after seeing it.

(Spoilers ahead)

Was the movie about cancer? Was the alien a universal cancer, uncaring, just wanting to grow even if it kills the host? Was this an allegory for a fruitless pursuit of knowledge or overcoming an adversary? Should we all become plants?

I need to see this again.
Old 02-26-18, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's definitely a movie that stays with you.

The movie obviously has a lot going on. I don't pretend to have all the answers but a few of my thoughts:

Spoiler:
I don't know that the movie is "about" cancer, but it serves as a handy metaphor for the relationships between the characters. The alien presence replicates, then creates something new and different than the original source. At the end of the movie, Lena emphasizes that the alien did not attack her; she attacked it. The alien, like cancer, has no feelings or motivation; it simply does what it is designed to do.

There's also the Crosby, Stills & Nash song, "Helplessly Hoping," which plays a pretty big part in the film.

"They are one person
They are two alone
They are three together
They are four for each other"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.