Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jumanji: Welcome the Jungle (2017, D: Jake Kasdan) S: Johnson, Hart, Black, Gillan

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jumanji: Welcome the Jungle (2017, D: Jake Kasdan) S: Johnson, Hart, Black, Gillan

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 798 Likes on 575 Posts
Re: Jumanji: Welcome the Jungle (2017, D: Jake Kasdan) S: Johnson, Hart, Black, Gilla

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It's really funny, not sure what there really is for you to be worried about.
Being forced to sit through a 2 hr movie without a remote in hand to press pause?
Old 01-10-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Jumanji: Welcome the Jungle (2017, D: Jake Kasdan) S: Johnson, Hart, Black, Gilla

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Being forced to sit through a 2 hr movie without a remote in hand to press pause?
With a prostate the size of a small country that's no laughing matter.
Old 01-13-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Seeing Jumanji WTTJ for a second time, this time with the wife - her choice for date night! The theater is VERY full. I liked it overall better than the Last Jedi, so I am not complaining.
Old 01-13-18, 10:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 995 Likes on 831 Posts

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle...not bad. It was predictable of course, had some heart, a little too much, but it played to norms. Pretty inventive reboot. Could have easily have watched this at home and $14 bux a tic is a little steep considering not 3D and at 5pm. Not even my reserved seating, fully electric reclining seats theater is that much. But, oh well, it was good for what it was. Mindless, adventure, comedic entertainment. Too many predictable emotional scenes for my tastes. Would see a sequel on Digital whenever.
Old 01-15-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 299 Likes on 245 Posts

Once again Jumanji came in ahead of the expected numbers...34 million weekend, which is pretty damn good considering it has been in theaters for a month already. I enjoyed the heck out of this film and am happy it is kicking box office butt, but if you told Sony 6 months back that this would become one of their top grossing films of all time (both domestic and international gross) they would have probably nodded and said, uh huh, one can hope but we still think it will do well at the box office. It looks like it may give Spider-Man Homecoming and Skyfall a run for their money.

On the other hand while Disney is not crying over a 1.2 billion and counting gross for The Last Jedi it is clear Jumanji's beast run at the box office probably hurt the domestic of The Last Jedi by 40-70 million (but that is just an uneducated/ un-researched talking out of my bum guestimate).
Old 01-15-18, 10:33 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Kinda loved this movie. It was just breezy and fun and I think original in its own way. The chemistry was great and while super predictable, I still enjoyed the ride a lot and the audience loved it. Never realized Nebula was so smoking hot.
Old 01-16-18, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Kinda loved this movie. It was just breezy and fun and I think original in its own way. The chemistry was great and while super predictable, I still enjoyed the ride a lot and the audience loved it. Never realized Nebula was so smoking hot.
When I saw this it was on a whim just to use my Moviepass. Loved it. Karen Gillan needs to be on one of those sexiest lists because she is unbelievable.
Old 01-20-18, 09:43 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Saw this today and really liked it - just an entertaining, fun film. I was afraid Black's character would get old (based on the previews), but I couldn't have been more wrong - he stole the movie. Everyone else was good, they played off of each other well. I also liked how they dealt with the ending in regard to the "Freak House", although it certainly introduces some paradoxes...

Complaints - Cannavale was VERY forgettable as the villain. Should have been someone more menacing, or match the Van Pelt from the original.

Spoiler:
Minor one, but mosquitoes kill Seaplane? He should have died within the first 3 minutes of being in the jungle. Should have used a different weakness (even something similar like a scorpion or something), could have had the same effect with passing lives concept.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-21-18 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-21-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After making another $20mm this weekend, this is now Sony's highest-grossing non-Spider-Man film.

By next weekend (def. the next week) it'll pass both SM3 and SM:H.

Last edited by islandclaws; 01-21-18 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Great fun, I laughed out loud multiple times.
Enough video game stuff so I felt 'in' but not so much that a nongamer would feel too out.
Kevin Hart was toned down a bit which is good.
My only complaint, other than the meh-ness of the baddie, was the fact that the board game just 'poof' turned into a video game. I didn't see the first movie so maybe there's some magic "it is whatever it needs to be", which would be fine, but as it is, it bugged me a little.
Old 01-21-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by islandclaws
After making another $20mm this weekend, this is now Son'y highest-grossing non-Spider-Man film.

By next weekend (def. next week) it'll pass both SM3 and SM:H.
I for one enjoyed it more than both of those other films much to my surprise.
Old 01-21-18, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this today. Enjoyed it WAY more than I thought I would. The most fun movie I've seen in a while! Wanna see it again.
Old 03-24-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,156 Posts

I finally watched this last night. With the exception of some shoddy CGI throughout I really liked it. I was expecting it to play a little more off the original but I guess having it start right where the last one ended is enough. It was funny and breezy, I wasn’t a huge fan of the teen actors but it’s hardly a compliant since they basicallly just bookend the movie.

Karen Gillan is without a doubt a ‘10’! One of the most beautiful actresses working today.

And Colin Hanks is looking more and more like his dad as he gets older. The resemblance was almost spooky.
Old 03-24-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 283 Likes on 209 Posts

Karen Gillan being a 10? I don't see it.

Is she any less annoying that she was on Doctor Who?
Old 03-27-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 538 Likes on 369 Posts

She was fine (so fine) in this. In Doctor Who it was the Amy Pond character that was written to be so annoying and being a professional actress, she nailed it.
Old 03-27-18, 09:47 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah, Karen Gillan is very hot. I didn't really like the movie that much, but seeing her made me keep watching.
Old 03-27-18, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I've been a fan of Karen Gillan since the Doctor Who days. I actually thought she as Amy Pond was the best companion since the 2005 reboot and still at this point believe that. Enjoyed her in this movie too... and while I'm not a big fan of Jack Black usually (disliked the Goosebumps movie), I thought he stole the show here. A very funny movie, but I don't feel it has the classic-vibe that the original had. Would enjoy another sequel though, and I thought going into it that it'd be bad, so it was certainly a nice surprise that I enjoyed it.
Old 03-27-18, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,076 Likes on 887 Posts

Just rented this and liked it so much that I watched it a second time. It's just fun, and I got a kick out the videogame references like the number of lives they had. And I agree about hot Gillan. The funny thing is that I haven't seen those seasons of Doctor Who so pretty much everything I've seen her in she's using an American accent. I even liked Selfie, despite its terrible name.
Old 04-03-18, 12:39 PM

Received 4,771 Likes on 3,231 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ut6UYwbt6Xk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-03-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,385 Likes on 943 Posts

Watched it Sunday. Enjoyed it but man, the kid actors in this were awful. Cringeworthy. Like the worst I gave seen in a main stream movie in quite some time. Outside of that, it was a great movie.
Old 04-03-18, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Rented it last Saturday. Pretty cool flick overall since I hated the first one. Funny as well. Not surprised this did well. I will also state that Cannavale was a very poor choice for the bad guy.
Old 04-03-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,059 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Rented it last Saturday. Pretty cool flick overall since I hated the first one. Funny as well. Not surprised this did well. I will also state that Cannavale was a very poor choice for the bad guy.
I don't think Cannavale was the issue, that character was just all around poorly conceived and developed.
Old 04-11-18, 10:42 AM

Received 4,771 Likes on 3,231 Posts

Officially passed Spider-Man and is now Sony’s highest grossing domestic film:
http://deadline.com/2018/04/dwayne-j...rt-1202361757/
Old 06-24-18, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fun movie...considerably better than the 1st IMO.
Everything is good with this semi-family movie: writing, acting, directing, music.
It's a movie with heart, a movie that teaches important/positive lessons to kids.

The video quality of the BD is reference.
Old 06-24-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by melasnus
Fun movie...considerably better than the 1st IMO.
Everything is good with this semi-family movie: writing, acting, directing, music.
It's a movie with heart, a movie that teaches important/positive lessons to kids.

The video quality of the BD is reference.
Did you get a chance to check out the 4K?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.