Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't think that's too far fetched - I imagine Vader is pretty well known and still remembered as one of the most feared and powerful people in the universe at the time, so along with Kylo knowing he was related I don't think its crazy to think someone would idolize him.
Especially if he's struggling with turning to the darkside and knows that Vader did so is looking to him in any way he can for guidance to the darkside whether it be trying to take on his form or talking to the helmet.
Old 12-20-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
regardless of what the fanboys say this film was just okay but not the greatest. It's not a 4 or 5 star film. No fucking way.
Glad you could clear that up for us.

As someone who has only seen the original trilogy two or three times - and who thinks that only the first two are any good - I thought this was pretty great. I wouldn't give it five stars, but it's one of the better adventure films to come along in a long time. And on a purely cinematic level, it's probably the best in the series besides The Empire Strikes Back

Yes, some times people genuinely like movies more than you do, no fanboyism required. Sorry about that.
Old 12-20-15, 02:23 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
Especially if he's struggling with turning to the darkside and knows that Vader did so is looking to him in any way he can for guidance to the darkside whether it be trying to take on his form or talking to the helmet.
My question is why is Ren worried so much about living up to Vader? Is he not being seduced by the Dark Side enough? Isn't it the easiest thing to be seduced by, regarding the Force? To me, it's clear he's not fully committed to be completely evil, even after he did you know what to you know who. Maybe him wanting to take Rey on as his apprentice was a way of inferring he wants to destroy Snoke, but he's hardly at Vader Dark Side-strength. Perhaps I'm overthinking this.
Old 12-20-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Is it just me or does Snoke look way too much like the villain Kaos from the Skylanders games?
Old 12-20-15, 02:25 PM

I have no problem with this film mirroring the first one. All 9 films are about the Skywalker's family. The whole time I was smiling. Loved all the references and comedic moments. Ford was great. Fisher was as good as expected and I give her credit for losing weight. Here are some thoughts on the relationships.

Obviously, Kylo and Rey have the Force and must be related to either Luke or Leia and could be siblings. They would've separated them to protect them. I think they wanted us to think Han and Leia were the biological parents of Kylo but could just as easily only raised him and Luke was his father.

Rey grew up with foster parents and was obsessed with Luke but has natural fighting and flying skills. If Han were her father that would make sense.

I don't think Han and Leia ever married nor had kids. The way they hugged at the end seemed more from a long friendship.

Rey stole the Falcon and I think that vendor whom she refused to sell BB8 will send a bounty hunter after her.

R2 was not completely shut down. He was on low battery so he was probably listening to all the talk and decided it was time to bring Luke back.

I have no doubt Luke will be the main focus of ep8 and may need to be sacrificed.

I believe that the emperor could come back as well.

I would like to see some flashbacks too of the past 30 years to fill in some gaps and get Solo some more screen time. Maybe ghost Yoda too.
Old 12-20-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Regarding the theory someone had that..
Spoiler:
...Rey might be in Obi Wan's bloodline...

1. I think it would be really interesting if that were true.
2. Apparently the last line of...
Spoiler:
...Rey's Force flashback when she touches Luke's saber is a combination of new audio from Ewan McGregor and old audio of Alec Guiness. The line is "Rey, you've taken your first steps." More info here.
Old 12-20-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I want to see the shit hat went down with the Ren in that rainstorm and how he defects to the dark side... That's intriguing as hell to me.
Old 12-20-15, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talking about rain. These Knights of Ren that he had w/ him... were just in one shot or what? Seemed like they were more important but like a lot of things in here... kind of feels like they were cut or something.
Old 12-20-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Talking about rain. These Knights of Ren that he had w/ him... were just in one shot or what? Seemed like they were more important but like a lot of things in here... kind of feels like they were cut or something.
I saw the film three times and kept looking for more in that particular shot. It's the only one they are in, all carrying various weapons.

Couldn't really make out their faces, even on an 80 foot IMAX screen.
Old 12-20-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Is it just me or does Snoke look way too much like the villain Kaos from the Skylanders games?
I hope since he was strictly a hologram in this movie that when he shows himself in the flesh he will be costume instead of mocap.
Old 12-20-15, 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I saw the film three times and kept looking for more in that particular shot. It's the only one they are in, all carrying various weapons.

Couldn't really make out their faces, even on an 80 foot IMAX screen.
I thought they were masked. Maybe they weren't.
Old 12-20-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I saw this yesterday afternoon and I've been letting it settle a bit to make sure my thoughts are clear and I'm going to go ahead say this was pretty darned good. The repetition is inconsequential because everything else had that "spark" to it that the prequels were only ever able to briefly touch upon ("We came to rescue you." "...good job." )

But here everybody was firing on cylinders, especially BB8. Daisy Ridley had her part to perfection and Boyega and Isaac were right behind her. I think the performance by Adam Driver as Kylo Ren will turn out to be intentional due to the nature of his character. He is lost but wandering, and he's clearly looking for the wrong pathway.

The scene with Han should have been obvious considering Ford's history with the franchise but it still surprised me and pretty much locked in that Ren will now be considered unforgivable.

Regarding some of the other comments about things not being explained- remember that when Lucas made A New Hope in 1977, he had no guarantee he would get sequels so the movie was front loaded to take care of that. Here we know there are more films coming along with books, comics, whathaveyou, so they could keep things moving better.

And I was very surprised to see Hamill get second billing for that short cameo. I really wished we could have gotten at least one word out of him.

This is a damn good rebooting of the franchise, if they all get made at least a fraction as well as this one, we've got some good times ahead of us indeed.
Old 12-20-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryW
I don't think Han and Leia ever married nor had kids. The way they hugged at the end seemed more from a long friendship.
No, no, no. Just no.

Spoiler:
And Kylo is clearly their biological son. From his face alone, I have no doubt about that. It was losing him that drove their relationship apart.
Old 12-20-15, 03:36 PM
Banned

Yeah. There is no doubt that that he is the kid. LIKE NOTHING. It's even stated.
Old 12-20-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I think most of them were, I was trying to make out what the masks looked like. Would make sense the Knights of Ren all wear masks.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I think the performance by Adam Driver as Kylo Ren will turn out to be intentional due to the nature of his character. He is lost but wandering, and he's clearly looking for the wrong pathway.
Each time I watched the film, that is what I took from his performance. Also I equated everything he did to the actions of a child, regardless of Kylo's age, which made many of his actions believable to his character. It reminded me a lot of how a character like Draco Malfoy (from the Harry Potter series) acts in the shadow of his father, in search of both his father's approval but power.
Old 12-20-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

You could just rewatch the trailer again. They're all there and they're wearing the same mask that Ren is wearing.
Old 12-20-15, 03:42 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I also wanted to add, as I don't think it has been mentioned, but the cross saber, for all its criticism when first seen in the trailer, was awesome and seeing how it was used as an advantage in light saber battles was unexpected but made sense (at least to me).
Old 12-20-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

You could just rewatch the trailer again. They're all there and they're wearing the same mask that Ren is wearing.
The masks are all different. You can sell more action figures that way.

Old 12-20-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Ah, same helmets but different face shields/masks. Coolness.
Old 12-20-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Brack
My question is why is Ren worried so much about living up to Vader? Is he not being seduced by the Dark Side enough? Isn't it the easiest thing to be seduced by, regarding the Force? To me, it's clear he's not fully committed to be completely evil, even after he did you know what to you know who. Maybe him wanting to take Rey on as his apprentice was a way of inferring he wants to destroy Snoke, but he's hardly at Vader Dark Side-strength. Perhaps I'm overthinking this.
That one scene is driving me crazy. It stood out even more the 2nd go around, when I wasn't so worried about who was going to live or die so I could really focus. I feel like many secrets of the upcoming movies are hidden in there. Kylo briefly seemed completely different in that scene, as did she. It's something, but what it is I have no idea.
Old 12-20-15, 05:15 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Oh, and since when are stormtrooper electrified batons able to deflect a fucking light saber? Lightsabers can even deflect lasers but not some fucking baton?

Come on.
Episode 3 had similar weapons that could deflect lightsabers. They were these electrified staffs. Remember?
Old 12-20-15, 05:21 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Yea, I read that earlier and I'm not a fan of this approach. [b]The idolization of someone he didn't know doesn't make any sense[\b] - even if he's brainwashed by Snoke. His being beaten down and needing the Vader gear is just too much like the movies before it. It's just re-hashing the same old thing - and they've done that too much already. They really need to be more original.
People idolize Jimmy Page and they've never met him. People idolize John Lennon and he's dead.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-20-15 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-20-15, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
People idolize Jimmy Page an they've never met him. People idolize John Lennon and he's dead.
Everyone knows that Page used the Force to do the solo in Stairway To Heaven.
Old 12-20-15, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Regarding the theory someone had that..
Spoiler:
...Rey might be in Obi Wan's bloodline...

1. I think it would be really interesting if that were true.
2. Apparently the last line of...
Spoiler:
...Rey's Force flashback when she touches Luke's saber is a combination of new audio from Ewan McGregor and old audio of Alec Guiness. The line is "Rey, you've taken your first steps." More info here.
#2 is cool to see, I hope it's true since everyone assumes that she's related to Luke.

Originally Posted by Brack
I also wanted to add, as I don't think it has been mentioned, but the cross saber, for all its criticism when first seen in the trailer, was awesome and seeing how it was used as an advantage in light saber battles was unexpected but made sense (at least to me).
Agreed, I never understood the hate regarding it to begin with but i'm glad that they made use of it in battle.
Old 12-20-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Do twins skip a generation? Considering Leia is a twin...

Spoiler:
maybe she also had twins and Kylo Ren has a sibling... Rey maybe?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.